Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to buy these 2 lenses, need opinions.

simplyluck
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 29, 2009 15:50 |  #1

I've been thinking about getting these 2 lenses because I'm sick of my kit lens and am having serious trouble in low light situations. Also, atm I'm interested in portraits but also want a zoom lens because there has been many situations where I need to keep a good distance or the subject might run away. *Birds and such*

I am on a budget seeing as I'm young and have no job and have only about $1000 - $1200 to spend.

These are the lenses I've been looking at.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tails&Q=&sku=12​140&is=USA (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=183​198&is=USA (external link)

Good? Bad? Better choice?

sponsored links
wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,675 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 29, 2009 15:55 |  #2

First of all, welcome to POTN!

$1000- $1200 to spend is quite a lot if you ask me, but the lenses you selected are both great lenses for the purposes mentioned, on any Canon body, although the 70-200 is maybe a little short for birds.

To help you deciding whether this is a good choice or whether there are any better choices, we do need to know what body you are using now, and which kit lens.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

cc10d
812 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 29, 2009 16:29 |  #3

What Wim said. For birds, maybe the 400 f5.6L. I would say 300 would be the least mm for birds, I have 400 and a 300 that I use 1.4 and 2.0 on and often one just can't get close enough. So for me I find that 400 is the minimum useful enough to crop and still have a good picture, This is with a crop camera, so the lens seems longer. 40D, 7D

cc

Steve ­ In ­ Kentucky
390 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 29, 2009 16:34 |  #4

I own both and love them. Those two have a great quality to cost ratio.

Rebel Xti/with grip
EF 17-40F4L
EF 70-200F4L
EF 50 f/1.4
EF 85 f/1.8

Robert ­ Armbrust
73 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 29, 2009 16:57 |  #5

I own the cheap Canon 50mm 1.8, and love it. I would imagine that the 50mm you are looking at should not disappoint.

Stimulating the economy one lens at a time.:lol:
http://www.imaginglife​style.com (external link)

simplyluck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 29, 2009 18:19 as a reply to  @ Robert Armbrust's post |  #6

I'm not really looking to get shots of birds, there has been few situations where they would be on a fence or something. I managed to get the shot with the 18-55mm IS kit lens but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Lol, point is I don't care for birds, just trying to point out that I need decent distance. Another thing I'm worried about, will IS be necessary?

Also, I'm using the Canon Rebel XS with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

@wimg, agreed, but I plan on taking a few classes soon and in a year going to school. Might as well spend the money on this rather than games.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,675 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 29, 2009 19:12 |  #7

simplyluck wrote in post #9103858 (external link)
I'm not really looking to get shots of birds, there has been few situations where they would be on a fence or something. I managed to get the shot with the 18-55mm IS kit lens but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Lol, point is I don't care for birds, just trying to point out that I need decent distance. Another thing I'm worried about, will IS be necessary?

Also, I'm using the Canon Rebel XS with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

@wimg, agreed, but I plan on taking a few classes soon and in a year going to school. Might as well spend the money on this rather than games.

I wholeheartedly agree :D.

IS is not necessary, but certainly a nice option, especially on longer lenses. However, if you want both a 50 F/1.4 and a 70-200, you may not be able to get the F/4 IS variant.

The difference in IQ between the two 70-200s is quite minimal, but if I would buy another, I certainly would go for the IS version. Have you ever thought of buying used?

OTOH, these lenses don't really drop much in value, so you could get yourself both now, and maybe later, once you've saved a little more money, replace the F/4L with the F/4L IS. Oh, th e70-200 is great as a portrait lens too, although you will generally need a tripod indoors, if you are not using a flash (or two).

Other lenses on the shorter end you could consider, are the 28 F/1.8, 35 F/2, 50 F/1.8 Mk I or Mk II, and the 85 F/1.8. All of these are low light lenses because of their aperture. However, their uses on your camera would be different.

The 28 F/1.8 is a short standard lens on crop, and is good for, amongst others, small group and full body portraits on your camera, as well as for general photography. I always liked that lens. Fast AF (USM drive), good IQ.

The 35 F/2 is a somewhat older lens, and has an Arc-drive. Very sturdy, but a little slow when focusing. Very good lens however, and a slightly long standard lens on the XS, and relatively cheap. Similar uses as the 28. Just be careful, you have to like this FL, not everybody does (I don't for example). I'd suggest you set your 18-55 to the FLs of your choice for a few days on end and keep it there, and see how you like that FL.

The 50 F/1.4 is the faster brother of the 50 F/1.8 Mk II. They are generally used as short telelenses on an APS-C body, and more specifically for low light and portraiture. The build of the F/1.8 II is not so great, but for the price you can't really complain. If you can't find a good contrasty point to focus on, it can be hard in low light to get it to focus properly, however. Slightly better in this regard, buildwise and AF, is the predecessor of this lens, the MK I, It is sturdier, has a distance scale, and an Arc-drive AF engine (similar to the 35 F/2). The optics are the same. It generally sells for a bit more than a new Mk II, if you can find one that is. Of course, the 50 F/1.4 is 2/3 of a stop faster, and does focus a little better in low light, although it only really gets good from about F/2.8.

Finally, the 85 F/1.8. It is considered one of the best Canon prosumer lenses by many, and used for portraiture both on FF and on APS-C. It is fast at F/1.8, although it only tends to get real sharp above F/2.2, and is on APS-C great for tight head or tight head and shoulder shots. Maybe more formal portraits if you have more space available. It is used a lot for indoor sports photography too, because of its speed and fast AF.

Their are alternatives, too, namely the Sigma 30 F/1.4 and 50 F/1.4. The disadvantage with Sigma is that an extraordinary number of their lenses need recalibration for AF, en require sending in to Sigma as a result, or buying from a retailer with a good return policy of course, and try several until you have a good one. The 30 obviously is in a way similar to the 28, but faster, and the 50 could be a replacement for the Canon 50. It is more expensive however, although really sharp from F/1.4. There is the possibility of getting a not so good one with regard to AF, however.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

simplyluck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 29, 2009 20:54 as a reply to  @ wimg's post |  #8

I would buy used or refurbished but kind of scared. I feel safer knowing it's new, but I guess I'll look up some.

iamnina3178
106 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 29, 2009 23:48 |  #9

im newer at this too and those are the two lenses i was looking to purchase, i was in the same exact place being sick of my kit lens and having low light trouble.

i got a 70-200 f4 no IS and couldnt be happier, i went on vacation and barely ever took this off my camera it's basically my walk around lens. also its so much nicer than the kit lens i never want to take it off the camera.

then i decided to buy a flash instead of the 50mm and learn to use it with the kit lens until i figure out exactly what i need. but when i first got the camera i was very anti flash and i wanted f2.8/1.8 everything

XSi | 18-55 IS | 70-200 f/4 | 430EXII | Gear

Algorithm
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 30, 2009 03:32 as a reply to  @ iamnina3178's post |  #10

Couldn't recommend a fast 50mm any more - I started out with the kit and then picked up the Canon f/1.4 - I almost always find myself putting it back on the camera. It's great for portraits on a crop body, and is a quality lens at the price point.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 30, 2009 04:13 |  #11

The 70-200 is a great lens, but it's f/4 with no IS. Just keep in mind that a tripod and flash will become necessary VERY fast.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

iamnina3178
106 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 30, 2009 12:22 |  #12

S30L28 wrote in post #9106265 (external link)
The 70-200 is a great lens, but it's f/4 with no IS. Just keep in mind that a tripod and flash will become necessary VERY fast.

That's true.. I shoot mainly outdoors so I havnt found that a problem, it just depends where and how you shoot. I don't use a tripod either.

simplyluck
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 30, 2009 12:33 |  #13

S30L28 wrote in post #9106265 (external link)

Does this count for outdoors shots too? It would be hard carrying a tripod around..

iamnina3178
106 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 30, 2009 13:00 |  #14

I havnt used a tripod with my 70-200 becuase I Mainly shoot outdoors and am able to keep the shutter speed high enough. The rule of thumb is 1/focal length so at 200mm the ideal hand held shutter speed is 1/360 on a crop sensor, but can go lower depending how well you can hold the lens.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2009 18:06 |  #15

simplyluck wrote in post #9108402 (external link)
Does this count for outdoors shots too? It would be hard carrying a tripod around..

With adequate light, no.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

sponsored links

1,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to buy these 2 lenses, need opinions.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.