Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Image Stabilization not working - broken?

Reevo
181 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 01, 2009 13:05 |  #1

I'm not sure when it started, but one day the image stabilization on my 7D stopped working. I'm pretty sure it's the camera because the IS on all of my lenses work with a different camera. I cleaned the pins between the camera and the lens a couple of times, but nothing happened. Is it broken? Other than the IS, all of the functions work completely fine.

My Blog (external link) // Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 580EXII, 430EXII, cybersyncs

sponsored links
EiTheL
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 01, 2009 13:07 |  #2

How do you know that its broken? You don't hear the IS?

Gabe:New York City:Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 01, 2009 13:21 |  #3

Why not take a picture with the 7D and read the exif on Canon's dpp, I think it states weather the IS is on or off IIRC.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Reevo
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 01, 2009 13:28 |  #4

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I checked in DPP, but doesn't seem to say if the IS was on or not.

I can tell if the IS is working or not by... looking through the finder. Or sounds of the IS if necessary. Either way, I am 100% sure that it is not working.

And FYI I have not made the mistake of turning the IS switch off every time I switched a lens to my 7D... haha.

My Blog (external link) // Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 580EXII, 430EXII, cybersyncs

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 01, 2009 13:36 |  #5

I don't think IS is listed in the EXIF because the camera has no way of knowing whether the lens has IS or not. The camera is simply providing power to the lens and it's up to the lens to send some of that juice to the IS motors. Could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure that if the lens has power to run the AF motor then it will also have power to run the IS motor.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 01, 2009 13:40 |  #6

krb wrote in post #9115278 (external link)
I don't think IS is listed in the EXIF because the camera has a way of knowing whether the lens has IS or not. The camera is simply providing power to the lens and it's up to the lens to send some of that juice to the IS motors. Could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure that if the lens has power to run the AF motor then it will also have power to run the IS motor.

Might be an idea to check with a fully charged battery. Or run a meter on the battery to make sure it's supplying enough voltage for the camera to run properly.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Reevo
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 01, 2009 15:53 |  #7

Pete wrote in post #9115307 (external link)
Might be an idea to check with a fully charged battery. Or run a meter on the battery to make sure it's supplying enough voltage for the camera to run properly.

I checked with a full charged battery but didn't work. It's still under warranty so guess I'll just send it to canon. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some setting I missed, thanks for the help.

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 01, 2009 15:57 |  #8

when i had a VR lens with my D90... i never seem to notice the difference between VR on and VR off unless the shutter speed was around 1/10~1/30.
im just saying b/c it might be working even though you never "hear" or notice it.

P.S. i know they're two different systems but just taking a note of it.

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 01, 2009 17:37 as a reply to  @ Replaces's post |  #9

I've noticed there is a very apparent difference when looking through the viewfinder as to whether IS is on or off.

Put one of your IS lenses on the camera, power it up and wait for a minute. Look through the viewfinder without touching the shutter button. The image in the viewfinder should be bouncing around a little especially with the 70-200 at 200mm. Then press the shutter button to the halfway point. If the IS is working properly, you should see the image steady right down.

John

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2009 07:01 |  #10

Replaces wrote in post #9116406 (external link)
when i had a VR lens with my D90... i never seem to notice the difference between VR on and VR off unless the shutter speed was around 1/10~1/30.
im just saying b/c it might be working even though you never "hear" or notice it.

P.S. i know they're two different systems but just taking a note of it.

You don't need to take a picture to see the effect of IS/VR (especially with long lenses)

You just focus on something somewhat close at the maximum focal length, with IS off you should be able to see the image "shake" slightly in the viewfinder. When you turn IS on, the image should stabilize.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,237 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2009 07:42 |  #11

Try using your longest focal length and with Liveview, magnify 10x, and you should easily see IS working.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

nikocanion
62 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2009 09:43 |  #12

Possible stupid question back : Did you perform a reset on the 7D to change it back in the factory default ?

It happend to me once with Nikon that i forget to reset the "long tine exsposure nr" and thought why is my D70 behaving like a P&S ? When out off the blue i thought let's walk through the settings and bingo the setting was on "On" which slowed the camara down when i reseted it to "off"it rattleted like a machine gun with enough ammo ..

it is ME who takes a picture the rest is elementary dear watson
bw!
Nikon D50+Nikon D80+Canon Eos 300d Sony Alpha 100 + glasses
Gear List

Reevo
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2009 00:47 |  #13

nikocanion wrote in post #9120694 (external link)
Possible stupid question back : Did you perform a reset on the 7D to change it back in the factory default ?

I took the main battery and secondary battery out to erase the camera settings, and the IS now WORKS! Thank you so much. Now I don't have to send it in to canon.

If anyone knows what camera setting could disable the IS, I would like to know though... just curious.

Reevo
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2009 00:54 |  #14

I figured it out -

In the custom functions, I assigned the button on the assignable button on the lens to activate the IS, which I guess removed that function from all of the other buttons on my camera.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 03, 2009 00:56 |  #15

strange. I agree that it could be hard to tell if IS is working or not. with the 18-55 kit lens, I never heard a peep or noticed anything in the viewfinder (other than the image "sticking" to the AF points during hand jitter)

but with the 28-135, I can hear a "tssch" when the shutter is half pressed and seconds after it is release, as well as the sound of the actual spinning. I can also see the image shift slightly to the corner when IS kicks on. is my lens bad?

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links

8,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
Image Stabilization not working - broken?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.