Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Jun 2008 (Monday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brisbane POTN Coffee Club Rev. 4

wakko
not a real Aussie
8,196 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 27, 2009 07:00 |  #7321

Andy: where abouts in Bris are you based?

Feng
Using a 5DII + Other Bits & Pieces
Brisbane Coffee Club - Everything From Shutters to Cuppas... Take 2
**** POTNAC Servaas Group Buy - Mark III - Arrived & Packing! ****

sponsored links
Ferristar
201 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 27, 2009 14:28 as a reply to  @ wakko's post |  #7322

Hey Feng, I'm northside, Everton Hills.

Andy D

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f***ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back" Al Swearengen

Scott ­ H
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 27, 2009 19:40 |  #7323

Hello all.

It's been a while since I have shown up I this thread. Just thought I might drop in to say hi.

Hope all are well and hope everyone is out shooting regularly. I have been far too slack with my shooting since moving down here. Need some inspiration. Any ideas?

-Scott

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

wakko
not a real Aussie
8,196 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 27, 2009 20:27 |  #7324

Ferristar wrote in post #9092157 (external link)
Hey Feng, I'm northside, Everton Hills.

If you're south, you can borrow my 70-200 2.8IS. Do you need the tripod ring etc?

Scott H wrote in post #9093505 (external link)
Hello all.

It's been a while since I have shown up I this thread. Just thought I might drop in to say hi.

Hope all are well and hope everyone is out shooting regularly. I have been far too slack with my shooting since moving down here. Need some inspiration. Any ideas?

-Scott

Hi Scott. Was thinking about you the other day. Hope you and yours are well :)

Feng

leitch
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2009 01:07 as a reply to  @ wakko's post |  #7325

Ferristar wrote in post #9088486 (external link)

35mm f1.4L - $1450

<gasps>

~Andrew~
Canon 5D | Canon BG-e4 | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L | Canon EF 135mm f/2L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Speedlite 580ex II | Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 | Giottos MT 9360 with Manfrotto 488 RC2
take a look at my blog (external link)flickr (external link)

Ferristar
201 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2009 16:22 as a reply to  @ leitch's post |  #7326

Well now, Feng having been generous enough to loan me his 70-200 2.8 IS I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew!
I somehow had the idea that I would magically produce some fantastic images, at the least that I would have many more usable pics, however it seems that there may be a reasonably steep learning curve associated with this lens. Am I right? I feel like many of the shots I would normally have gotten sharp and usable with my 90-300 or even 50mm 1.8 haven't materialised with the 70-200. Or maybe my skills just aren't 'L' standard yet . . .

Andy D

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f***ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back" Al Swearengen

DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 04, 2009 16:44 |  #7327

Ferristar wrote in post #9136196 (external link)
Well now, Feng having been generous enough to loan me his 70-200 2.8 IS I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew!
I somehow had the idea that I would magically produce some fantastic images, at the least that I would have many more usable pics, however it seems that there may be a reasonably steep learning curve associated with this lens. Am I right? I feel like many of the shots I would normally have gotten sharp and usable with my 90-300 or even 50mm 1.8 haven't materialised with the 70-200. Or maybe my skills just aren't 'L' standard yet . . .

Did you:

a) make sure the IS was turned on
b) that the IS was in mode 1
c) support the lens with proper telephoto lens technique (elbows tucked in, shooting slightly side on) ?

Were you shooting at f/2.8 the entire time ? If so, you really need to be careful where you focus.

Dave
http://www.degrootphot​ography.com.au/ (external link)
http://www.digitalphot​ographycourses.com.au/ (external link)
Gear List
Quae narravi, nullo modo negabo!

Ferristar
201 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2009 18:21 as a reply to  @ DAdeGroot's post |  #7328

Hey Dave,
yeah, IS was on, in mode 1, technique may leave a little to be desired though.
I was holding the lens well down the barrel, however my stance may have been the issue, how does 'side on' help?
I was at 2.8 as I was indoors, with some diffused dayilight but mostly fluoros o/head. I ended up at ISO 400 to get fast enough shutter speeds but either me or my subjects (4 year olds) were moving too much.

Andy D

wakko
not a real Aussie
8,196 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 05, 2009 00:47 |  #7329

Oh bummer Andy... hope you got some keepers. Problem I think with the f/2.8 IS is that it's a weighty wee thing so those pointers Dave points out just assist really... May pay to post some examples of what you feel aren't what you expected.

Ferristar wrote in post #9136786 (external link)
Hey Dave,
yeah, IS was on, in mode 1, technique may leave a little to be desired though.
I was holding the lens well down the barrel, however my stance may have been the issue, how does 'side on' help?
I was at 2.8 as I was indoors, with some diffused dayilight but mostly fluoros o/head. I ended up at ISO 400 to get fast enough shutter speeds but either me or my subjects (4 year olds) were moving too much.

oh the side on stance helps brace you for stability allowing you to rest your left elbow against your torso essentially forming a kinda mono handpod. Helpful due to the weight of the lens... and not as noticeable for the lighter lenses.

In saying how you describe, if the little fellas were moving too quickly, then perhaps your shutterspeed may not have frozen them too well.

In saying that... may be good to post some examples up and what you feel aren't quite right. If EXIF isn't intact, then may pay to post what modes/settings your camera were on.

Also... if you need a bit more time to have a play, feel free... I don't see myself using it for the next week or so.

Feng

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 05, 2009 01:06 |  #7330

I'm beat, played Greg the builder all day over at my Sister-in-laws place, building a pool fence. Only consolation was the quick dip at the end of the day.

Greg
Blog (external link) | Photogallery (external link) | 1DmkIV + other stuff
Sanity is a madness put to good use.

DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 05, 2009 06:39 |  #7331

Greg_C wrote in post #9138628 (external link)
I'm beat, played Greg the builder all day over at my Sister-in-laws place, building a pool fence. Only consolation was the quick dip at the end of the day.

I shopped this morning (picked up my Christmas pressie from D-D), then cooked some lunch, played some half-life with the kidlets, and then we had a street party (Upper Cedar Creek Christmas Street Party), 'til 7pm, just been tooling around since.

Dave
Gear List

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 05, 2009 13:01 |  #7332

DAdeGroot wrote in post #9139228 (external link)
I shopped this morning (picked up my Christmas pressie from D-D), then cooked some lunch, played some half-life with the kidlets, and then we had a street party (Upper Cedar Creek Christmas Street Party), 'til 7pm, just been tooling around since.

Oooh, much nicer than what I did. What xmas pressie did you get?

Greg

DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 05, 2009 15:22 |  #7333

Greg_C wrote in post #9140545 (external link)
Oooh, much nicer than what I did. What xmas pressie did you get?

85/1.2L II

:-D

Dave
Gear List

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 05, 2009 15:35 |  #7334

DAdeGroot wrote in post #9141105 (external link)
85/1.2L II

:-D

OOOOOH very nice, do you get to play now or wait?

Greg

DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 05, 2009 15:43 |  #7335

Greg_C wrote in post #9141157 (external link)
OOOOOH very nice, do you get to play now or wait?

Yep :) Well I plan to use it for a paid gig on the evening of the 18th so need to get some practice in beforehand. (that's my excuse anyway).

Dave
Gear List

sponsored links

522,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Brisbane POTN Coffee Club Rev. 4
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.