Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 02 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to New York - Need advice

winmazing
315 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2009 00:41 |  #1

I'll be there on the 21st and staying there for 2 weeks to see what it's like during Christmas & New Years. So psyched!

Now I have a 450D & going to for sure bring my 17-55 f/2.8 IS, but I'm really hesitant about bring my 70-200 f/4 IS. The lens is so noticeable and I'm super paranoid when I carry it around. I think if it wasn't white I would bring it for sure..

I was thinking about getting some sort of cover for it to cover up the white parts and maybe create a junky-looking appearance. What do you think? Am I in over my head? :p

Shutterstock (external link) | flick (external link)r (external link) | Canon EOS 5D MK II | Canon EOS M
AF: Canon EF 24-104mm f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L IS, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4
MF:
Mir-24H 35mm f/2.0, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-W 24m f/2.8

sponsored links
Gamb
274 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2009 07:11 |  #2

I'm leaving the 17th for NYC. I'm not taking my 70-200. I just don't think I'll need it that much and don't want to lug it around. I'm taking my Tamron 28-75, Nifty Fifty and Nifty Two Fifty.

Of course saying that.. when I get there I'll wish I had it :D

Gear

hslxsmd
397 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 02, 2009 09:01 as a reply to  @ Gamb's post |  #3

if you are in manhattan.. ull see white lenses all over the place.. and theres no need to worry.. if it looks like ur in a shady neighborhood then keep ur lens in your bag.

| Canon 7D | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon G12 | GoPro Hero2 |

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 02, 2009 09:13 |  #4

a white lens makes a good weapon. bring it.

NY is one of the safest cities in the world. there are very few areas you would have to worry about. heck, even in harlem you are pretty safe now. and the areas you would have to worry about are not picture taking areas anyway. if you see an area with multiple large brown high rise building with a courtyard in between them, those are the projects...stay away. so pretty much 26th-30th street between 9th and 10th. other than that, you are safe.

you should be more worried that the crowds of people are going to bump you and cause some damage if you drop something. is your gear insured? if not, it should be.

if you dont want a white lens, buy a lens coat.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 02, 2009 09:16 |  #5

Sharpie will probably do the trick.

joe9047
375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 02, 2009 09:28 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #6

I believe this thread may have your answer :)

https://photography-on-the.net …highlight=tape+​white+lens

Joe
Gear

gorgon2k
246 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 02, 2009 11:05 |  #7

I've been there a few times, even did a Photo project of Street musicians, and belive me, many of them are homeless/poverty stricken. Unless your walking around the Bedford Stuyvesant/Marcy Projects, I wouldnt worry about a thing. Now the real question is, why NYC for 2 whole weeks?! it's soo cold! But your from Canada :-). I would take a trip to philly... takes like 2 hours, and Boston.

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 06, 2009 22:13 as a reply to  @ post 9146309 |  #8

I am from NYC and Ghetto Kids can give a rats ass about cameras and lenses. More like jewelry, so don't worry. Just don't be alone all the time.

Oh yeah stay away from a cluster of 14 story brown buildings. All of them are projects. There are no rules there.

Newborn, Baby, Family Photographer:
My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

sponsored links

1,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to New York - Need advice
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.