Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 06 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 00:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New York City - Christmas/New Years trip

winmazing
315 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 06, 2009 00:25 |  #1

Any travel advice/tips? Good times to visit places or any obscure locales to check out? I've already bought a tix for the Yankee Stadium tour & an advanced tix for the Empire State building observation deck.

I'll be there on the 21st & leave on the 5th. So psyched!! :)

Shutterstock (external link) | flick (external link)r (external link) | Canon EOS 5D MK II | Canon EOS M
AF: Canon EF 24-104mm f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L IS, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4
MF:
Mir-24H 35mm f/2.0, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-W 24m f/2.8

sponsored links
Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 06, 2009 22:08 |  #2

You will have a good time.

I'll live you some tips. This is my town and I should go about shooting it, but I travel abroad instead. sigh, soon I wil take it home.

Anyhow here is what I would shoot/visit.

Long Island City, take the E Train from Manhattan into Queens and get off on 23rd and Ely avenue (1st stop in Queens). This used to be an all industrial area. Now starting to become a good living 'hood. You can find a factory with graffiti (Five Points) look it up. You can head to the water and go for some Panoramas. Or walk about if you have time, it has potential for some good urban shots. In Manhattan, head to Battery Park City, around ground Zero. Or take a walk on the West Side Park, between 72nd and 100th streets, upper west side, Manhattan. Then head East towards Columbus Avenue and enjoy some good eating.

Talking about the empire state building, there is a bar on the roof top of 230 fifth avenue building on or about 23rd street. This Roof Top offers some good views. Warning drinks are expensive, as is all around Manhattan. http://www.230-fifth.com/ (external link). Also, you ca take a nice walk, and snap good pictures around the Meat Packing District between 10th and 14th st on downtown's west side. Chill out at a local bar then keep moving north.
I am sure you will do all the touristic stuff, Rockefeller Center, 42nd Street - Times Square, Central Park South.

It's safe here so don't panic, just keep your eyes open, and bring some good walking shoes. And everyone walking in Manhattan seems to own a camera of some sort, so don't be affraid to pull your stuff out. And visit B&H if you need some gear or just wnat to burn 2 hours gawking at equipment.

Enjoy

Newborn, Baby, Family Photographer:
My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

winmazing
THREAD ­ STARTER
315 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 07, 2009 01:01 |  #3

Cool, thx for the tips Andres

Does B&H have boxing day sales at their NYC location?

Shutterstock (external link) | flick (external link)r (external link) | Canon EOS 5D MK II | Canon EOS M
AF: Canon EF 24-104mm f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L IS, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4
MF:
Mir-24H 35mm f/2.0, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-W 24m f/2.8

wineguy97
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 07, 2009 04:57 |  #4

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, to get there take a Subway to City Hall. It's amazing to do that just as the sun is going to set (so about 4pm now). Same with the Staten Island Ferry at about the same time. Take the Circle Line Ferry, the city lights trip is great for nighttime shots, but you will need a fast lens (the boat never stops so no chance of slow shutter speeds). Central Park, walk around it. Madison Square Park is great, right next to the Flatiron Building and you can get some decent shots of the ESB up broadway. Good place for people shots as there is a very popular burger place there.

NYC is so photogenic my best advice is to keep your camera on you all the time, wrap up well as it'll be cold. Walk around a lot and just shoot as much as you can.

yeamans17
656 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2009 12:18 as a reply to  @ wineguy97's post |  #5

I'd suggest the Statue of Liberty too since you'll have a couple weeks to see the sights. I went right before they re-opened it up to go to the top. I want to go back.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2009 13:29 |  #6

Top of the Rock.
China Town.
Central Park.
Manhattan skyline from the New Jersey side.
Brooklyn Bridge.
If you are into Museums, we've got plenty of those.
Sneak some pics when riding the subway.
Time Square.

Interesting suggestions regarding Long Island City, etc...

I agree. NYC isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but use common sense precautions, especially when you venture off the beaten path.

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 07, 2009 21:55 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #7

I am not sure if B&H has those one day boxing sales. I would give them a call before you come. As you can see, this city just calls for attention and many spots are photogenic in nature. You just need to study the subway maps good, and situate yourself and have a plan, at least to get things started. Then let it take you.

In looking at your gear, the 17-55 mm lens will be your best friend.

My Gear: 40D | 5D Mark II | 24mm-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.2 L | 28mm-135mm IS f/3.5-5.6 USM | Saving up to get the 70-200mm IS f/2.8 lens (Ouch)

Liphotoman
220 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 07, 2009 22:18 |  #8

Comfortable and warm shoes, and a good pair of gloves will likely be needed too.
The best thing to do in nYC is to WALK WALK WALK.

B&H is one block west of the subway station that will get you to both Uptown & Downtown. The park on the Upper West Side that Andres referred to is Riverside Park, not West Side Park. To get there take the 1,2 or 3 subway to 72nd st, then walk west. Lots of good restaurants in that general area too.

Then a little south of B&H on the west side between 14th & 20th sts is something called the Highline. Lots of people love to take pics there. Personally, it didn't do it for me, but it's worth a visit. It is an elevated walkway over the streets - you can look down on the streets (You'll notice a sea of yellow - all the cabs). http://www.thehighline​.org/ (external link)

And don't forget Greenwich VIllage - that's my favorite area to shoot in Manhattan.

As mentioned above, study the subway maps. Good instructional link for the subway is
http://www.nyctourist.​com/subway_page1.htm (external link)

http://liphotoman.smug​mug.com (external link)
Canon 50D, Canon 70 - 300 IS f/4-5.6,
Canon 17 - 55 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400 IS L

I took the road less traveled; now where the heck am I!?

winmazing
THREAD ­ STARTER
315 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 07, 2009 22:35 |  #9

Cool, thx for all the input

What's the weather typically like around Christmas/New Years? I'll probably carry my camera with me at all times, but I've never experience really frigid weather. What kind of heat/rain protection would you guys recommend for my camera & Lens?

MF:

DannyLongIsland
482 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 07, 2009 23:14 |  #10

All good advice, but just to add after reading your original post. The Yankee stadium tour is very cool, and you will love it, but that is an area you really want to watch yourself and your equipment. When you get off the 4 train you are right there, and around the stadium you should be fine. Start going a few blocks away and you may find some trouble. Just a heads up. Also don't miss downtown Manhattan, city hall, Trinity church, South street seaport.

Dan
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

yeamans17
656 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2009 08:05 |  #11

winmazing wrote in post #9154950 (external link)
Cool, thx for all the input

What's the weather typically like around Christmas/New Years? I'll probably carry my camera with me at all times, but I've never experience really frigid weather. What kind of heat/rain protection would you guys recommend for my camera & Lens?

I was down there last year between xmas and new years and the weather was mild, I had a jacket on and I was sweating most of the day. But that said it wouldn't take much for the weather to swing the other way and be frigid. I've never really bothered much with heat protection in the city, just rain/snow. I'd either use a shoulder bag (non camera bag) or tuck it into my jacket/hoodie.

wineguy97
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 09, 2009 02:14 |  #12

Last year in NYC it was a pretty mild winter. This year so far it's pretty horrible. As I write this it is snowing and is very cold. Forecast for the next few days is not so good.

Best advice is warm, waterproof shoes, and lots of layers. You will find indoors everything is warm and outside it's cold and the wind can get really strong, especially if you go anywhere near the rivers (east or hudson). Hat, gloves, etc. Get a decent shoulder bag that is water resistant and you will be fine. Even if it rains/snows you only loose a day or so. Then you can just go to B&H for the day :)

shomat
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2009 08:27 |  #13

Yes, bring layers. Usually it ranges from mild to cold, but every once in a while swings to frigid. If my memory serves me right, the wicked weather is usually closer to February.

wineguy97 wrote in post #9162736 (external link)
As I write this it is snowing and is very cold. Forecast for the next few days is not so good.

Where? I got nothing but rain in Queens.

Andres14
21 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 09, 2009 15:03 as a reply to  @ shomat's post |  #14

OK so since you are going to seriously need walking shoes, they are not always the best insulated. I would suggest you invest in some heat warmer packets often sold in sporting good stores, such as Modell's, Sports Authority, or even Seven 11's. Both for feet and hands. I use them when I go skiing and work really good. And for your camera there is nothing I can suggest for protection from the cold. Only thing is, if it is really cold otuside (32F and below) then you need to be cautious of going in and out of warm to cold places. Bring extra batteries. Bring a hat and pair of gloves, and parhaps a scarf. It is getting cold out here. However like today, it rained and then the sun came out to a beautiful spring like afternoon, while yesterday my bones hurt from the chill.

I think you have some good suggestions, so take yrou tiem going through it all and prepare a list to tackle and scratch off when you get here.

Gurpis
37 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 09, 2009 18:24 |  #15

Hello fellow Vancouverite.
I agree with the above post. Make a list and work your way through it. My suggestion would be to take a bus tour from times square(downtown loop) they are very informative and give you a good geographical sense of the city. This way you will know where to go the rest of the time you're here. Many people who visit the city and travel by subway miss out on the feel of the city because they are underground. The weather here is fairly similar to Vancouver just a little bit colder. Boxing day sales are a Canadian thing, the equivalent sale out here is black friday which has already passed.
Hope you enjoy your trip!

sponsored links

4,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
New York City - Christmas/New Years trip
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.