Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20Da question

jimi ­ thing
596 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2009 19:59 |  #1

So this is probably a dumb question. Is astronomy the only use for this camera or can you do portraits with them also? if so how is the image quality vs a regular 20d? I have a chance to pick one up pretty cheap but don't want it if all I can do is sky photos.
Thanks!

sponsored links
S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 26, 2009 20:10 |  #2

Hey Jimi,

In theory, you could use a 20Da for regular photography, but just keep in mind that this is an IR camera.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

Eagle
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 26, 2009 20:52 as a reply to  @ S30L28's post |  #3

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …d_eos/EOS_20Da_​061705.htm (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Designed especially for photographers who want to capture galaxies far, far away the EOS 20Da camera delivers outstanding photos of the night sky. Most features of the EOS 20Da are shared with the standard EOS 20D camera but several important modifications have been made to optimize the camera’s astrophotography capabilities.

The EOS 20Da yields sharper and higher contrast images of various astronomical phenomena such as diffuse reddish nebulae because of a special, modified low-pass filter that is positioned in front of the EOS 20Da’s 8.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor,. The modification increases the transmission of light at the specific wavelength of 656nm, known as the Hydrogen Alpha line or Ha wavelength, by a factor of 2.5x compared to the standard EOS 20D.

The 20Da makes framing the image easier with a magnified live view mode on the 1.8” LCD monitor. This is not possible with traditional digital SLRs, but the 20Da allows the photographer to lockup the mirror and open the shutter at night to view subjects before the image is captured. The central portion of the image is magnified by 5x or 10x to ensure sharp focus. The live view mode can also be used with a TV monitor connected to the camera’s video out terminal.

For the long exposures required in astrophotography, the EOS 20Da features enhanced noise reduction incorporating an optimized CMOS control system. A custom function is also available for noise reduction allowing the user to achieve maximum image quality at ISO settings from 50-3200.

The EOS 20Da can be connected to a telescope using a standard, widely available T-mount, thus enabling incredible images of distant subjects that are normally invisible to the naked eye. In addition, the camera is also compatible with over 50 EF and EF-S lenses, including Canon’s renowned Image Stabilizer super-telephoto lenses. Conventional photography is also possible by mounting an infrared filter on the lens.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,142 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 26, 2009 21:15 |  #4

^what they said. B

asicly the body is a speciallist camera that would need an external filter mounted on the lens to be able to take visable-light spectrum photo's (the filter will need to block IR light while letting thru normal light)

Unless you're keen on IR photography, or they're giving it away, you may want to pass..
have a quick google of "infrared portraits" to see what the output will be unless you get an external filter.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

jimi ­ thing
THREAD ­ STARTER
596 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2009 22:09 |  #5

Thanks for the replies. If I am able to get a filter for my lenses, will this camera perform as good as a regular 20D in photo quality? Let's say I want to take a few pics of my son or wife, will the camera do virtually the same thing as a 20d as long as I have filters?

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 27, 2009 01:09 |  #6

I'd imagine it would be cheaper to buy a normal 20D.

Since most dSLRs have IR blocking filters already integrated in them, I don't think they would produce IR circular filters. That or they're limited and expensive.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

jimi ­ thing
THREAD ­ STARTER
596 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 27, 2009 01:15 |  #7

Yeah, I did a little thinking and figure that maybe a plain 20d would be a better choice for me.
Thanks people!

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 08, 2009 16:15 |  #8

S30L28 wrote in post #9088349 (external link)
... keep in mind that this is an IR camera.

No, it's not an IR camera. It can be used for regular photos, just like any other DSLR. You don't need any filters.

If you can pick one up cheap, it might be a good investment; they sell for aroundt $1000 or so (depending on condition) nowadays.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
20Da question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.