Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 08 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Christmas pic of my daughter

Rebel_XT_Newbie
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 08, 2009 16:54 |  #1

Took this of my daughter and thought it was a great pic. Wanted to hear other opinions of it so please critique!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2618/4169690071_c690d5fcb3_b.jpg

sponsored links
cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2009 17:15 |  #2

Rebel XT- Beautiful daughter and great portrait. Although I will leave the C&C to the experts, the only thing that jumped out at me besides that smiling face (well lit IMO) was the crop. I would bring it in some from the door on the left and bring it up from the bottom instead of cutting her hand off.

Congrats again on the model and man oh man, I gotta get our tree up.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

Mt ­ Olympus
84 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 08, 2009 18:22 |  #3

I agree with the above comment. You did an excellent job with balancing the flash and ambient light.

Slicer
748 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 08, 2009 18:58 |  #4

^ I too agree. Maybe instead of cropping the door because you'll lose the tree shape on the bottom, extend the black behind the tree over to the left to get rid of the door (clone)
You can still bring up the bottom and if you lose some tree bottom just extend her sleeve so you don't have to come up that high.

But overall I think you did well. I like the splash of light on her right side from the tree. I love her expression...it just looks so natural. If your going to spend the time to clean up those things, then clear up her redness by her smile and you'll have a great keeper!

Flickr  (external link)\/ Twitter (external link) \/ Facebook (external link) \/ Web (external link) \/Google+ (external link)

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 08, 2009 19:32 |  #5

IMO she is too bright....her light color is much brighter than the scene and takes away from the mood of the shot. I like it, but think the flash/strobe needs toned down and blended in better.

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 08, 2009 20:05 |  #6

Hey thanks for the remarks! I will work on the crop. One thing I wanted to point out was this was done with no flash/strobes. This was straight off my 5D Mark II... Don't let the name full you :)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 08, 2009 21:42 |  #7

She does look pale and pink, but not terrible. Make it a little warmer and see what you get.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Mt ­ Olympus
84 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 08, 2009 21:57 |  #8

I'm surprised that there weren't any strobes used. I guess the catch light in her eyes fooled me. Was there a window behind you?

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 08, 2009 22:26 |  #9

SuzyView wrote in post #9161611 (external link)
She does look pale and pink, but not terrible. Make it a little warmer and see what you get.

she is too blue.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,225 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2009 22:34 |  #10

I like it, she is very cute. I do agree her hands should be in the picture. Is she standing under a light? I notice the shadow just below her neck.

I love the tree in the background, but would clone the stocking out as it detracts from the scene.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Slaterza
Goldmember
2,007 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2009 07:37 |  #11

Cute picture but like the others I really do not like the composition but I do like the lighting.

Sam Laterza flickr (external link) BLOG (external link)
Canon 50D, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 100-300, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 170-500, Canon 28-105, Canon 18-55 (external link)

ScottsGT
629 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 09, 2009 09:44 |  #12

Personally, I would have put her between the tree and fireplace as a background. Her lighting almost makes her "pop" to the point of the photo looking like she was cut and pasted over a background photo, or an Olin Mills backdrop!

...it's just a hobby....it's just a hobby......it's now a illness!
7D, 5D & G11 18-55 EF-S IS, EF 50 f1.8,
70-200 2.8L IS, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L,
EF 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 580EX II

Morlow
Goldmember
2,824 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 09, 2009 12:09 |  #13

Love this shot!

Chris Knapp

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 09, 2009 12:18 |  #14

Thanks for your comments! Your feedback gives me some great ideas on how to edit the pic in addition to stuff to try for next time. I agree she looked like she was placed in the picture afterwards when looking off her right shoulder. She was standing under two eyelid lights that shine on the fireplace in addition to some can lights in the room. The neck shows a lot of this as do her eyes. I have not done any editing of the pic except for the crop so I have some room to work with it. Thanks again for all the constructive feedback!

sponsored links

1,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Christmas pic of my daughter
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.