Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 22:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i7 vs phenom II. Help me build a new rig

slitherjef
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 08, 2009 22:35 |  #1

I have been using AMD chips every since I started to build computers for my self. I am wondering if I should change over to Intel. The cost of intel chips have been high for my taste, but I wonder if I have been short changing my self by going with the lower cost AMD chips, not to say intel is better because they cost more, but perhaps I am using AMD chips where they don't work as good. I have also heard issues with AMDs memory controller with double sided ram

What I am looking for is a quad core chip, either an i7 or phenom II. The last straw that brought up the intel vs amd was trying to find ram for the board I picked out...

Anyway. Price? I don't know, probably at least 1000 bucks. I need a new:

-CPU
-Ram, at least 4 gig
-Motherboard
-HDD, I am thinking 3. 1 around 120 gig for the OS, and 2 500 for a SATA raid mirrored (never done this before). The reasonf or the 3 drive? Well, the windows xp to windows 7 upgrade bull- where you need to back everything up then do a clean install? :rolleyes:
-Windows 7, probably the home edition

I figure my 22" monitor and geforce 8800gts *SHOULD* work in the new system.

What I will be doing on it the computer:
-Internet
-Photo processing including time lapse where in some cases need to process thousands of photos.
-May play some games likes Sims 3, DVD / blurays and music as well as Itunes
-May also use the rig as a DVR
-Im not looking to overclock

I am just sick of my current PC BSODing while transfering files from usb reader or HDD, or while using photoshop or surfing. Its around 3 years old so probably needs an update anyway, since I need to do a clean install of windows 7.

What are your thoughts? I would like to hear from both sides, I don't want to hear a fanboy debate, I just would like to hear how your i7 system or phenom II system works, what kind of ram and mobo you got running, etc.

Gear / Twitter (external link) / flickr (external link) / Blog (external link)
I shot a Nikon once... it didnt make it :p

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 08, 2009 22:44 |  #2

current phenom processors are no better than core 2 quad core, some are actually worse than some core 2 duos. Go i7 and save some time and headaches.

If your 8800gts is PCI-E 16x (2.0), it should work with new boards.

Good thing to go with is:
i7 860
8gb ddr3 1333 ram (4x2 to save money, 2x4 if you want to upgrade fairly soon)
HDD setup: if you want mirror+boot, get a small (40-80gb) SSD or a velociraptor for boot/program/scratch disk, then dual 1tb drives for raid 1. I highly suggest the caviar green series if you want to worry less about heat.
don't forget a 500W + PSU, your old ones may not be good enough

If you already have a case, monitor, gpu, keyboard, and mouse, then you can get all the remaining components for 700-800 depending on the specifics (or if you go with a 80GB intel 25-m, maybe up to 900)

my i7 system encodes video from 1080p to 720p in about 0.75x real time (using two pass no less) from premiere pro, faster using megui and the right settings. also does several photos/second in LR2 (1dmkiii)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 09, 2009 01:42 |  #3

I would go with a LG 1156 i7 and you won't regret it. They re-introduced hyperthreading which boosts performace a lot.

Ram wise, 4x2 is plenty RAM imo. 2x4GB kits cost soo much, will most likely out price your processor!

As for HDD setep I think basroil hit it on the nose. Get a small SSD for your OS and programs and a nice RAID 1 of Caviar Green 1TB or 1.5TB.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 09, 2009 02:51 |  #4

Personally i'd probably buy i7 right now, because they seem to be ahead of AMD at the moment. I've read putting the OS and programs on an SSD makes it quite a bit snappier, and also putting any images you're working on right now on it can make things really fast too. Just depends what you're doing, and how patient you are. I'm not sure i'd go for SSD yet, they're still pretty expensive, and often a big standard disk can be similar speeds to the velociraptor esp if you use the outer edge of the disk.

Not sure mirrored RAID is worth the bother. Just keep weekly offsite backups and you should be fine, and use something like www.mozy.com (external link) to back up your most important documents every 12 hours. You can't really back up all your raw files, they're usually a bit big, though Mozy can handle it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

slitherjef
THREAD ­ STARTER
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 09, 2009 02:53 |  #5

I am having an issue finding a mobo for the i7-860 some of the recomended ram (I am looking at gigabyte and asus mobos) are tri-channel, but the boards only run dual? It may be that I am tired, but am I missing something? Why buy 3 sticks of ram when I can only use 2? Other issues is actualy finding the ram, most sticks have been de-activated in neweggs database.

I thought about it a bit more and started to hunt down a board that supports SATA 6gbps as well as USB 3.0 but those are few and far between.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 09, 2009 03:03 |  #6

You're a bit soon for mainstream USB 3.0, but you can buy an add in card later to add that. Yes the i7 is tri channel for RAM, but benchmarks i've seen show it's not that important and using 2x2GB is just about as fast - I think that was at toms hardware.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

slitherjef
THREAD ­ STARTER
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 09, 2009 03:55 |  #7

Thanks for the info Tim. The way I was reading things, I thought it required tri channel. Did not know I could run dual. Most boards I seen offer only dual channel. Your right about the USB 3 and 6gbps SATA its not needed, at least right now.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 09, 2009 08:46 |  #8

My logic deduces since PCs and MACs use Intel, that Intel is 2 times better than AMD since just PCs use AMD.

;p

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 09, 2009 10:07 |  #9

I have a i7 with 8GB of RAM and I'm very happy

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2009 11:18 |  #10

Village_Idiot wrote in post #9163779 (external link)
My logic deduces since PCs and MACs use Intel, that Intel is 2 times better than AMD since just PCs use AMD.

;p

Wrong actually, Apple uses AMD... for graphics cards ;)

As for mirrored RAID, no sense in not doing it, raid 1 doesn't need to be maintained as well as raid 0

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 10, 2009 20:13 |  #11

slitherjef wrote in post #9162823 (external link)
I am having an issue finding a mobo for the i7-860 some of the recomended ram (I am looking at gigabyte and asus mobos) are tri-channel, but the boards only run dual? It may be that I am tired, but am I missing something? Why buy 3 sticks of ram when I can only use 2? Other issues is actualy finding the ram, most sticks have been de-activated in neweggs database.

I thought about it a bit more and started to hunt down a board that supports SATA 6gbps as well as USB 3.0 but those are few and far between.

Alright, for a motherboard, you want one that uses "LG 1156" EXAMPLE (external link)

Now triple channel ram is for "LG 1366" motherboard, you want DDR3 dual channel EXAMPLE (external link)

Now the confusion comes from that fact that the name "i7" is used for essentailly two different line of processors. The "i7 LG1366" are like the i7-920 (anything that says i7-9XX) uses a different socket and uses triple channel ram/
The "i7 LG1156" are the processors that say "i7-8XX" They will use the LG1156 socket and take dual channel ram due to some minor architectural differences.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 10, 2009 20:34 |  #12

themadman wrote in post #9174032 (external link)
The "i7 LG1156" are the processors that say "i7-8XX" They will use the LG1156 socket and take dual channel ram due to some minor architectural differences.

Not actually that minor at all. PCI-E is chipset based in i7 900, CPU based in i7 800, turbo-boost changes, etc.

Gear List

slitherjef
THREAD ­ STARTER
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 11, 2009 00:05 |  #13

Thanks for the info, all. Right now I am about 85% sure I want to make the move to an i7-860 rig. The next step is to come up with the cash

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 11, 2009 00:26 |  #14

slitherjef wrote in post #9175143 (external link)
Thanks for the info, all. Right now I am about 85% sure I want to make the move to an i7-860 rig. The next step is to come up with the cash

You can also save $90 by going with an i5 now, and in a year or two get an i7 800 (1156) model if the $290 pricetag for the 860 is too much

Gear List

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 11, 2009 12:49 |  #15

basroil wrote in post #9175223 (external link)
You can also save $90 by going with an i5 now, and in a year or two get an i7 800 (1156) model if the $290 pricetag for the 860 is too much

Why would you recommend the i5?!

Don't get an i5. You will save a few bucks now, but you are losing out on the hyperthreading which gives a lot of performance in many applications. You may be saving $90 now, but when you upgrade, what will you do with the extra processor? I would just find a way to get the money if you don't have it right now, maybe get a smaller hard drive for now and add a larger one later if money needs to be cut.

Lastly: basroil > there are changes yes, but they are mainly in implimentaion, the features are nearly the same

sponsored links

2,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
i7 vs phenom II. Help me build a new rig
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.