Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 10 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Website to look at.. please

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 06:57 |  #1

Morning all,

I've tried to really simplify my website this week, as it was starting to get away from the original idea of simple galleries and clear information about services etc.

Please have a gander at http://www.jameshedley​photography.com/ (external link) and let me know what you photographers think. I have feedback from non-tog users etc, but it's always nice to know what other camera heads would do differently.

TIA,

Hedley

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 10, 2009 09:33 |  #2

I like it, Hedley. I think you've accomplished having a simple feel to the site, focusing on the photography and not the jazz around the photos. I do have a couple easy suggestions though...

- It is common expectation that hovering the mouse over your navigation should cause some kind of reaction. The text might change color, get underlined, get brighter, etc. Yours just sits there, making the user wonder whether this is something clickable at all.
- Pay for the simpleviewer app, so you don't have their ad on it. It's a minor expense, and will make the site look a bit more professional (as well as supporting the folks that developed it).
- I find your gallery images to be a bit small. I know it's a tradeoff, but just putting in my opinion...

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 10, 2009 09:35 |  #3

Hedley wrote in post #9169952 (external link)
Morning all,

I've tried to really simplify my website this week, as it was starting to get away from the original idea of simple galleries and clear information about services etc.

Please have a gander at http://www.jameshedley​photography.com/ (external link) and let me know what you photographers think. I have feedback from non-tog users etc, but it's always nice to know what other camera heads would do differently.

TIA,

Hedley

Just a thought - maybe have a photo of you with a camera on the opening page or on the about page.

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 09:43 |  #4

tracknut wrote in post #9170613 (external link)
- It is common expectation that hovering the mouse over your navigation should cause some kind of reaction. The text might change color, get underlined, get brighter, etc. Yours just sits there, making the user wonder whether this is something clickable at all.

Yeah, thought I should put some a:hover in.
Ta

EnronRocks
557 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 10, 2009 23:28 |  #5

Your domain name is massive. That's all I think about when visiting your site.

Other than that, I like the design.

Name: Garrett
Visit My Website (external link) and My Gallery (external link).
AIM - EnronRocks

KenG
531 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2009 12:17 as a reply to  @ EnronRocks's post |  #6

Looks good to me. Simple and straight forward and easy to navigate, let the images speak for themselves. Very good start.

Ken
My Web Gallery... kengillespie.com (external link)
Photo Blog... Ken Gillespie's Blog (external link)

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 14, 2009 05:33 |  #7

Nice...nothing better than a fast loading and simple to navigate site....good job

Yeoer
804 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2009 07:52 |  #8

Just a couple of things i noticed.

About page... i know its funny but a fuzzy picture of 2 lemars going at it...? looking through your galleries i think i put a different picture there. The shot in the music section of the drummer is a great shot and more in keeping with what i think your trying to portray.

About page, the wording...

"Bassed in Sussex, but available for hire throughout the UK, James Hedley Photography is quickly becoming an established wedding & events photographer."
JHPhotography inplies there are more than one but photographer is just one, also the but available for hire is a dead give away you are new to the game.

"James Hedley is quickly becoming an established wedding & events photographer. Bassed in Sussex he covers events throughout the UK."
Takes away the hint of deperation the but added to the text.

To back this up (about the wedding photography) i think you need to have more pictures in your wedding gallery.

Just my 2p worth.

Canon 5D MarkII, 40D, 350D, EOS100, G10. Canon 24-105 F4 L, 85mm, 400mm F5.6, 50mm F1.8, 18-55mm, Sigma 10-20, 100-300mm, Canon 28-105 F3.5-F4.5, Kenko x1.4, Tubes and a bunch of Elinchrom Lights, flashes, reflectors and triggers.

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2009 09:42 |  #9

Yeoer wrote in post #9194189 (external link)
About page, the wording...

Thanks - I think your rewording is spot on, and I will change it

p.s. The lemurs pic wasn't meant to be funny. It's a mother carrying her baby, but if that's how it comes across I will look at that again as well.

Yeoer
804 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2009 10:56 |  #10

Hedley wrote in post #9194674 (external link)
Thanks - I think your rewording is spot on, and I will change it

p.s. The lemurs pic wasn't meant to be funny. It's a mother carrying her baby, but if that's how it comes across I will look at that again as well.

To my mind there's actually a couple more little bits in the rest of your text that need fine tunning as well. Take it with a pinch of salt but i would remove the red text. Sometimes like they say... less is more..

"(Our)His aim, (is always) to produce (top) beautiful images (quality results) through an unobtrusive and relaxed style, (so) whether (it's is guests at a wedding, the bride and groom, a family portrait, a fashion shoot,) a wedding party, family portrait or a band onstage, James's shooting style (it's always shot in such a way that) will (keeps) ensure the subjects remain as relaxed and natural as possible.

In 2009 James's (was also recently) photography was recognised and (recently been) awarded 2 prizes (external link) by renowned manufacturer of photography(camera bags and accessory cases) equipement (Lowe Pro). (,as well as being)

James's work (and) is a regulary published being featured in (contributor to a number of) publications such as YouGotPapped Magazine (external link)

2010 promises to be an exciting year for us, as we're booked for our the first overseas wedding and we plan to continue growing and providing more services"

With event's including his first oversea's wedding, 2010 promises to be another busy and exciting year for James.

The bit about more services also highlights new to the game.

Canon 5D MarkII, 40D, 350D, EOS100, G10. Canon 24-105 F4 L, 85mm, 400mm F5.6, 50mm F1.8, 18-55mm, Sigma 10-20, 100-300mm, Canon 28-105 F3.5-F4.5, Kenko x1.4, Tubes and a bunch of Elinchrom Lights, flashes, reflectors and triggers.

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 15, 2009 04:48 as a reply to  @ Yeoer's post |  #11

Thanks Yeoer,

I really appreciate the time and thought you've put in.

sponsored links

1,475 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Website to look at.. please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.