Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 07 Dec 2009 (Monday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When The Newspaper's Photographer...

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 08, 2009 15:08 |  #16

There's been double trucks in SI that were P&S cameras from great photogs who know how to use it as a tool. Though guessing this isn't that situation, just looks like a stringer opportunity to me. Newspapers are struggling, some are getting rid of staffers to use stringers more and save on benefits, an interesting change is happening in the industry, and not in a good way until they figure out how to make money with the content online.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links
mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 08, 2009 15:47 |  #17

I dont see how they could not supply him with a a 20D and a 85mm 1.8 or nifty fif...

I mean, I understand that the budget dictates the practice but, c'mon, a couple hundred bucks here.

Stuff

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 08, 2009 19:20 |  #18

mikeassk wrote in post #9159581 (external link)
I dont see how they could not supply him with a a 20D and a 85mm 1.8 or nifty fif...

I mean, I understand that the budget dictates the practice but, c'mon, a couple hundred bucks here.

Newspapers don't hang on to the old stuff - it gets pretty beat so when they upgrade most I know get rid of the old stuff and not paying for more.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

BraceHemi
45 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2009 19:40 |  #19

I see your from Minnesota as well. What 2 high schools was this?

Brace Hemmelgarn Photography (external link)
Body: Canon 1Dx | Canon 1D Mark IV | Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II
Lens: Canon 400mm f/2.8 | Canon 300mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm II f/2.8 (x2) | Canon 24-105 f/4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 | Canon 15mm Fisheye f/2.8 | Canon 1.4x Extender II

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 08, 2009 21:53 |  #20

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #9160838 (external link)
Newspapers don't hang on to the old stuff - it gets pretty beat so when they upgrade most I know get rid of the old stuff and not paying for more.

I wish the newspaper I worked for got rid of some of the old gear and bought new stuff. We're still using Nikon D2H bodies and 80-200 AF lenses (one of the 80-200's is even a push pull). Our back up bodies are D1Hs'.

Also, in defense of the photographer in question in the OP he might have gotten called to cover some other breaking news story or was already assigned to cover another event that night that took precedence over the game. [/devils advocate]

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

DHMN
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 08, 2009 22:28 |  #21

BraceHemi wrote in post #9160947 (external link)
I see your from Minnesota as well. What 2 high schools was this?

**See my basketball thread** Esko's got a decent team with young guards who can only get better, and they won by 30 something with what they do have.

I ran into the paper's shooter tonight.. at a basketball game.. she didn't even know when halftime was.. with 45 seconds left in the first (I left to do some of the hockey game) it was 36-13 and she goes "is it halftime when the clock runs out?"

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

lespaulowner
809 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 09, 2009 08:26 |  #22

ouch

Antonio
I'm a level 14 photographer who can't defeat the Paintball Gym leader known as Gary Baum until I get the 300mm 2.8L IS II USM stone.
flickr (external link)

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 09, 2009 08:50 |  #23

Let's face it. The only folks interested in reading about school basketball in the paper are about one-third of the parents of the players. Most of the parents and the community could not care less.

Both my kids play(ed) school basketball. The teams are outstanding going deep into the state HS playoffs and with players going on to D1 school ball. Does the community care? Nope and that's also reflected in the local newspapers.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

tomcat360
413 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2009 09:04 |  #24

One of my friends used to work for a very reputable newspaper with a big circulation, and he said that they had a little G7 in the gear closet, and would have kinda an ongoing competition to see who could shoot the best photo with it. He strobed an arena and put the pocket wizard on it, haha.

Also, our budgetless newspaper can't afford to send anyone to the playoff game in Montana, but we somehow got our sports writer on the bus with the dignitaries, and he is talking about taking a camera......

http://www.https …book.com/tommyp​enickphoto (external link)
http://www.tommypenick​photo.com/ (external link)

nicmo
413 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2009 13:18 |  #25

SnapLocally.com wrote in post #9158676 (external link)
Here's my take on things:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE (external link)

This dude is my new hero!

--Aaron
Aaron Callanta Photography (external link)
SportsShooter Page (external link) | MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2009 13:31 |  #26

We need more hero's like this.

The next time I get a retarded email asking for a handout, they're getting that link instead.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

nicmo
413 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 09, 2009 13:33 |  #27

SnapLocally.com wrote in post #9165498 (external link)
We need more hero's like this.

The next time I get a retarded email asking for a handout, they're getting that link instead.

+1 on that...

--Aaron
Aaron Callanta Photography (external link)
SportsShooter Page (external link) | MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 10, 2009 00:16 |  #28

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #9163807 (external link)
Let's face it. The only folks interested in reading about school basketball in the paper are about one-third of the parents of the players. Most of the parents and the community could not care less.

Both my kids play(ed) school basketball. The teams are outstanding going deep into the state HS playoffs and with players going on to D1 school ball. Does the community care? Nope and that's also reflected in the local newspapers.

That might be true in your area, but around here the HS sports teams are a very big deal (especially lately as our boy's BB teams have been outstanding for the last 5-6 years). I would say that local sports coverage is why half (or more) of people get the local paper around here.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 10, 2009 01:09 |  #29

DDCSD wrote in post #9168982 (external link)
That might be true in your area, but around here the HS sports teams are a very big deal (especially lately as our boy's BB teams have been outstanding for the last 5-6 years). I would say that local sports coverage is why half (or more) of people get the local paper around here.

Same here. Apart from seeing sports scores, the newspaper in the town i went to high school in is useless. Absolutely useless. So useless that they claim to not have the budget to pay for pictures. So in turn the pictures they take suck.

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 10, 2009 15:47 |  #30

Our local paper is a once a week publication. They just had to cut hours for the staff. Sort of sad but you have to keep up wth times.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links

3,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
When The Newspaper's Photographer...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.