Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Dec 2009 (Friday) 02:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Family Shot - CC please

hegi
142 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 11, 2009 02:57 |  #1

Hello everyone,

My "bread and butter" since i have started doing photography is shooting sports. While i think i pretty much got a hang of how to "spray and pray", i am still new to portraits and people shots. This is an area where i want to improve in the future and hope for some hints to improve.

Here's a family portrait of my family in law. It was a more-or-less planned shoot for them to have a Christmas present for the grandparents.

As they wanted to have the picture taken at their house, i had a hard time to find a proper location. I settled for a red wall, as you can see in the photo.

Unfortunately, there are objects hanging from this wall, so I had to have them pose on the outmost left border of the wall leaving no room to properly set up an off camera flash. Therefore i went for on camera, bounced light from the ceiling.

This is a minimum edit of the original picture. I added contrast and some kind of more-or-less subtle vignetting. A few cosmetics have also been done including a little teeth withening.

Some things i already see as a problem (at least for me):
No off-camera flash and no bright subject behind me (like a window) to create proper catchlights. The eyes miss a little pop from my pov. Also there is a shadow casting behind the father on the right. However, this might not be too distracting

What do you think?
Set up was 50D with 17-55 2.8 @ 40mm, f/4.0, ISO 200, 1/100s with a 580 EX II on camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

7D · 50D · SIGMA 30MM f/1.4, CANON 85MM f/1.8, CANON 17-55MM f/2.8, CANON 70-200mm f/2.8 IS · SPEEDLIGHTS, ELINCHROM SKYPORTS AND OTHER LIGHTING STUFF · MANFROTTO 055XPROB, 488RC2 · LOWEPRO Classified Sling 180 AW · FLICKR (external link) · WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 03:14 |  #2

Girl on the left looks like shes trying to hide behind the blonde.

My Gear |flickr (external link) |facebook fan page (external link) | zachbreaux.com (external link)

hegi
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 11, 2009 03:16 |  #3

zachbreaux wrote in post #9175718 (external link)
Girl on the left looks like shes trying to hide behind the blonde.

After looking at it again and again, i also think this is a problem. Hiding or not, she looks a little bit "out of the group", doesn't she?

7D · 50D · SIGMA 30MM f/1.4, CANON 85MM f/1.8, CANON 17-55MM f/2.8, CANON 70-200mm f/2.8 IS · SPEEDLIGHTS, ELINCHROM SKYPORTS AND OTHER LIGHTING STUFF · MANFROTTO 055XPROB, 488RC2 · LOWEPRO Classified Sling 180 AW · FLICKR (external link) · WEBSITE (external link)

zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 03:39 |  #4

Sorry to say, but quite.

My Gear |flickr (external link) |facebook fan page (external link) | zachbreaux.com (external link)

zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 11, 2009 03:40 |  #5

It might just be because the blonde and the mother look so much alike.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2009 11:13 as a reply to  @ zachbreaux's post |  #6

It just looks forced to me? If you had the parents infront, sitting down, and the girls in the back, it would look more cohesive to me? Careful with whites and skin smoothing.less is way more;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 11, 2009 11:24 |  #7

I love the lighting...it's a great picture. I think the main reason the girl on the left looks "out of the group" is because she is facing the back of someone who is facing someone else. She also needs to face forward a bit.

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

sponsored links

1,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
Family Shot - CC please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.