Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Test image

Mike ­ T.M.
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 13, 2009 17:19 |  #1

I just posted this on FB for some friends and looks dull and dark, not what it looks like in PS4...let me know what it looks like to you, please

okay it looks like what I see on PS4..is there a profile I need to change when uploading it to the web?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 13, 2009 17:22 |  #2

Exposure looks fine to me although it does look a little flat.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 13, 2009 17:34 |  #3

i read somewhere that FB strips the color profile...

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 13, 2009 17:36 |  #4

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #9190628 (external link)
Exposure looks fine to me although it does look a little flat.

It doesn't look really flat to me

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2009 17:50 |  #5

It appears to be in ProPhoto RGB, a huge gamut colorspace, and appears over saturated on my monitor. Try converting it to sRGB.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 13, 2009 17:56 |  #6

ChasP505 is correct; the photo has a ProPhoto RGB color profile.You need to convert it to sRGB for online viewing.

More importantly, there's no possessive form of "holiday's" the correct word is "holidays."

Gear List

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 13, 2009 18:13 |  #7

PixelMagic wrote in post #9190839 (external link)
More importantly, there's no possessive form of "holiday's" the correct word is "holidays."

Ahem.

"What's the date of New Year's Day?"

"That holiday's date is January first."

You're welcome.

:p

EDIT: not that this bit of pedantry helps Mike any. Your pic has a good exposure but looks oversaturated on my calibrated monitor. But that's often a matter of taste...

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 13, 2009 18:16 |  #8

ahem...yes, but in the statement "happy holidays" there is no apostrophe...

you're welcome... ;)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2009 18:43 |  #9

Heh! Number six and thaking were right, the point PixelMagic should have made is that there is no apostrophe in the plural form of holidays!

Mike, you often see pictures posted by people with uncalibrated monitors, or at least ones without the brightness toned properly down, look darkish to those of us who do, but not typically the other way around, and since this shot looks well-exposed for the subject (with the background much darker), I'd assume that's how you want it to look, and possibly there's another problem.

Like has been said, get the color space right and see what that does, but having it actually dark is likely to be something different, maybe facebook processing.

I wonder if there is a way to link a facebook picture to another site so that we could see it online without having to go through the "join facebook and make a friend" thing?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 13, 2009 19:33 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #9191098 (external link)
Heh! Number six and thaking were right, the point PixelMagic should have made is that there is no apostrophe in the plural form of holidays!

Mike, you often see pictures posted by people with uncalibrated monitors, or at least ones without the brightness toned properly down, look darkish to those of us who do, but not typically the other way around, and since this shot looks well-exposed for the subject (with the background much darker), I'd assume that's how you want it to look, and possibly there's another problem.

Like has been said, get the color space right and see what that does, but having it actually dark is likely to be something different, maybe facebook processing.

I wonder if there is a way to link a facebook picture to another site so that we could see it online without having to go through the "join facebook and make a friend" thing?

My monitor is cal. I have three versions of it and one is way off. I think it had something to do with it when I exported the photos from LR3 to ps4 and didn't have my custom profile saved. The only way to see is through FB My name is Michael T. Moore

Here is a new one....and I'll make the correct spelling of it.

Here it is with a different picture...I dodge the tree a little bit more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 14, 2009 07:43 |  #11

number six wrote in post #9190953 (external link)
Ahem.

I wasn't going to say anything about the apostrophe because I do proofreading of ads all week long. Never on Sunday! ;)

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 14, 2009 10:01 |  #12

Mike T.M. wrote in post #9191354 (external link)
Here it is with a different picture...

In Safari (color managed)

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20091214-sx9yy8m2amtx38pyqpwkq7peq.jpg

Second image is sRGB and looks okay.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 14, 2009 10:47 |  #13

Mike,

You say you "dodged the tree", which may point out the real problem -- in your original image, the girl is well exposed except for the shadows in her hair. Everything in the background is quiet dark except for the little lights. This basically means that your camera exposure wasn't well-balanced between the flash and the ambient/background lighting. Is this what you're referring to? If so, you'll need a fair amount of shadow lightening to bring out some more detail -- the hair shadows could be a guide. You want to amplify those shadows but with care because that will bring out noise.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Mike ­ T.M.
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 15, 2009 18:39 |  #14

René Damkot wrote in post #9194756 (external link)
In Safari (color managed)
QUOTED IMAGE

Second image is sRGB and looks okay.

Where did you get this chart at?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 16, 2009 02:24 |  #15

http://regex.info/exif​.cgi (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

2,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Test image
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.