Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st time skin editing

jhuckelberry
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 13, 2009 17:19 |  #1

I'm working on learning skin editing and would like to get a critique of my first pass through with it.

original:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

edit:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I used an action for this that gave me a little options. I'm thinking it may be a little over done, but since I have no real experience with it yet I'd love to get some feedback. I haven't done anything else with the shot yet besides cropping smaller versions, which is why they don't quite line up the same.

Canon 7D / Tamron 17-50mm / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 / 580EXii
Huckelberry Photography (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​jhuckelberry/sets (external link)My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Subicon
62 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 13, 2009 17:32 |  #2

Not bad. It doesn't look too overdone for the shot. Keep up the good work. As a side note, if you're going to put a good bit of work into the skin, you might consider blending out the stray hairs around her head to compliment the skin work you've already done.

jhuckelberry
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 13, 2009 17:55 |  #3

Subicon wrote in post #9190690 (external link)
Not bad. It doesn't look too overdone for the shot. Keep up the good work. As a side note, if you're going to put a good bit of work into the skin, you might consider blending out the stray hairs around her head to compliment the skin work you've already done.

thanks for the note. I do plan on working the hairs out as well, but before I got too far into it I wanted to get a little feedback.

I actually have photos of 13 different girls to edit once they choose the ones they like. It was my first real photo shoot, so I've been pretty excited about it all.

Canon 7D / Tamron 17-50mm / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 / 580EXii
http://www.flickr.com/​jhuckelberry/sets (external link)My Flickr (external link)

theodre
28 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 13, 2009 18:56 |  #4

I think it looks stunning! well done! (and not overdone)

Theodore
http://www.kallily.net​/theodore (external link)

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 13, 2009 20:24 |  #5

theodre wrote in post #9191160 (external link)
I think it looks stunning! well done! (and not overdone)

^+1

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 14, 2009 12:47 |  #6

Nice work. Can you share you technique and progam you used?

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 14, 2009 13:06 as a reply to  @ williejr's post |  #7

Great image - If you going to be working on a lot of images - pick up the Imagenomic Portraiture plug-in (1-click and your done)

Where is a workup using the default setting.

duped the layer and applied the plug-in on the top layer (skin). Then I masked away everything except the skin.

on the bottom layer I sharpened the hair and clothing a little. merged the 2 and changed the color space from Adobe to sRGB.

added a curves layer to punch up the image a little

IMAGE: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9938/41831487882c64458570b.jpg

zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2009 13:07 |  #8

found you : )

My Gear |flickr (external link) |facebook fan page (external link) | zachbreaux.com (external link)

jhuckelberry
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2009 13:45 |  #9

Palladium wrote in post #9195916 (external link)
Great image - If you going to be working on a lot of images - pick up the Porturature standanone / plug-in (1-click and your done)

duped the layer and applied the plug-in on the top layer (skin). Then I masked away everything except the skin.

on the bottom layer I sharpened the hair and clothing a little. merged the 2 and changed the color space from Adobe to sRGB.

QUOTED IMAGE

thanks for the tip on that. hadn't used that plugin so I'll check it out tonight. love the edit, think I could really use that.

jhuckelberry
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2009 13:46 |  #10

williejr wrote in post #9195798 (external link)
Nice work. Can you share you technique and progam you used?

It was done in photoshop CS3. I'll look at the action name when I get home. It's a portrait action I picked up a while back that I hadn't really had a chance to use yet.

jhuckelberry
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2009 13:48 |  #11

zachbreaux wrote in post #9195926 (external link)
found you : )

zach, what's up man. didn't know you were around these parts.

zachbreaux
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2009 15:33 |  #12

Sure am. I learn a lot on here.

My Gear |flickr (external link) |facebook fan page (external link) | zachbreaux.com (external link)

zwollenaar
267 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2009 16:10 |  #13

Palladium wrote in post #9195916 (external link)
Great image - If you going to be working on a lot of images - pick up the Porturature standanone / plug-in (1-click and your done)

QUOTED IMAGE

Just a quick question. Could you please share the technique to sharpen only the hair and clothing without touching the skin (face & arm)? Thanks.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2009 16:40 |  #14

Very nicely done. I'd also suggest fixing the catchlights; there seems to be multiple light sources.

Just a quick question. Could you please share the technique to sharpen only the hair and clothing without touching the skin (face & arm)? Thanks

Selective sharpening is done through the use of layer masks. Basically the image is copied to a new layer and sharpened to taste. Then a Hide All (black) mask is added to the layer, and a soft white brush is used to paint on the mask in the areas that should be sharpened.

Gear List

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 14, 2009 19:15 |  #15

zwollenaar wrote in post #9197090 (external link)
Just a quick question. Could you please share the technique to sharpen only the hair and clothing without touching the skin (face & arm)? Thanks.

Create a layer and mask the face, sharpen the rest.

sponsored links

4,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st time skin editing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.