Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Dec 2009 (Friday) 15:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

New Gear arrived today..Am I doing something wrong?

PJ
304 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 18, 2009 15:53 |  #1

So UPS was nice enough to leave my $600 package from Alienbees out on my doorstep today.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

I am completely new to Off-Camera lighting other than using a flash bracket for wedding photography.
I have 2 questions.

1. On one light stand I have my 550EX on a Swivel Bracket. The Flash is not aimed at the center of the umbrella as you can see in my crappy snapshot below. Does the Speedlite need to be aimed at the center for best results or will this not affect the photographs?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

2. When I took my umbrella out of the Swivel Bracket I noticed that I damaged the metal where the screw tightened the umbrella shaft into place. Is this normal or is there a way to prevent it?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By the way...how cool it it that the Cybercync box has a freaking Pterodactyl on it. (Is it wrong for a grown 30 year old man to still love dinosaurs?)

Thanks
Paul

I'm Jones'in for some Jones Cream Soda
www.PaulJonsonPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

ErikatSSI
75 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 18, 2009 15:59 |  #2

The flash should be turned 180 and insert the umbrella from the opposite side as well. The umbrella hole is drilled at an angle it should be inserted so the center of the umbrella is raised torward the flash head.

As for the tube collapsing that is common with many umbrella shafts, my partner filled his with a black silicone like substance (from home depot) and let it dry for a week, didn't completely eliminate the issue but helped quite a bit.

And yes the dinosaurs thing is completely normal.

SharpShooter Imagery (external link)

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 18, 2009 16:00 |  #3

1) you have your flash facing the wrong way...attach the flash with the lever on the right (notice in the pic is is on the left of the flash, facing down)...then the flash will hit the center...
2) break off a piece of pencil, shove it down the shaft of the umbrella and you'll be alright...

Sam|McGuire
865 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 18, 2009 16:00 |  #4

You have your umbrella positioned in the bracket the wrong way. The whole is angled and is directional. Also, only screw your umbrella in at the base where it is reinforced.

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr  (external link)
www.moralfibers.co (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 18, 2009 16:04 |  #5

Wow, thin metal there. I've cranked in my Softlighter umbrella as hard as possible and I've never left a mark.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 18, 2009 16:36 |  #6

Haha, I just read about this situation on the strobist lighting 101 blog yesterday. It's a common mistake that people often put the umbrella backwards as the hole is drilled. I think your umbrella will be alright even with the pinch on it too. Enjoy your new kit!

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 18, 2009 16:45 |  #7

yep, and there's even a vid at the strobist 101 section showing how to attach the flash...
http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/2006/03/lightin​g-101.html (external link)

jeromego
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 18, 2009 16:55 |  #8

Sam|McGuire wrote in post #9224360 (external link)
You have your umbrella positioned in the bracket the wrong way. The whole is angled and is directional. Also, only screw your umbrella in at the base where it is reinforced.

but there are some instances when you need to screw them in the mid part of the shaft for certain effects.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2009 17:21 as a reply to  @ jeromego's post |  #9

+1 on the pencil suggestion.

I shoved pencils into the shaft on all my umbrellas. Works like a charm.

pepperoni
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 18, 2009 18:25 |  #10

int2str wrote in post #9224774 (external link)
+1 on the pencil suggestion.

I shoved pencils into the shaft on all my umbrellas. Works like a charm.

+2 :)

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

Kurbster
101 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 18, 2009 18:38 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #11

Here's an example of how you should set up your flash, and umbrella

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

You are pushing your umbrella shaft to much into the whole, it just needs to be in enough to be able to tighten. Turn your flash around, and replace the umbrella thru the upwards angle hole, It's an honest first mistake, that a lot of us have done too.

The Kurbster

Kurbster Photography (external link) - Big Easy Portraits (external link) - Flickr Photo Stream (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 19, 2009 04:28 |  #12

1. Little difference in practice.
2. Buy a better quality umbrella with a solid rod.
3. There is no three. La de dah.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
304 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 19, 2009 18:34 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #13

Whoops!!! Rookie Mistake! Thanks for the assistance all. I realized that I was definitely tightening the umbrella into place too tight. I think I'm still going to shove a pencil in it to be safe. (This is the only instance where speaking this sentence if OK" :) )

I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks for the link to "The Strobist". That seems like a great starting point.
Time to go Practice Practice Practice!

Thanks Again!

PJ

I'm Jones'in for some Jones Cream Soda
www.PaulJonsonPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2009 18:48 |  #14

1) your umbrella is mounted wrong, and your flash head can be turned 180 degrees. Do this and you'll be golden.

2) you do not need to over tighten the knob that holds the umbrella in place. Just tighten it to the point where it won't move, and you'll be golden!

The whole dinosaur thing? That's up to you. Not me.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,225 views & 0 likes for this thread.
New Gear arrived today..Am I doing something wrong?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.