Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 18 Dec 2009 (Friday) 22:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash radio transmitter in the way when shooting with both eyes open

gfm
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 18, 2009 22:55 |  #1

Hi,

I have been shooting HS football games using the both eyes open method with good success this fall.
Now with the HS basket ball season started, I wanted to keep using the same method but I ran into a small problem.
I am shooting basket ball using two small flashes triggered by RadioPoppers JRX receivers and I have the JRX transmitter installed in the hot shoe of my Canon 50D.
When shooting in portrait mode, the radio transmitter is blocking some of my peripheral vision and it really annoys me.
Does anybody else has the same problem?
Is there a solution for this?

Thanks,
http://gmstudio.smugmu​g.com (external link)

sponsored links
Nate ­ P.
278 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2009 02:25 |  #2

You could use a sync cable to take the transmitter off camera.

fuji x100

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2009 17:34 as a reply to  @ Nate P.'s post |  #3

Same problem. I just dont use that eye, or I slightly angle the camera.

gfm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2009 19:09 as a reply to  @ Nick Pro's post |  #4

I like the idea of taking the transmitter off camera hot shoe.
On my 50D, I have a PC screw lock connector so the cable connection should solid and reliable.
I am not sure what to do with the transmitter:
1 - Put it in my pocket, but this means that I have a cable going to the camera. Does sounds like a pain and something in the way.
2 - Attach the transmitter somewhere else on the camera, but this probably means using Velcro. I am not thrilled about the idea of gluing Velcro to my camera.

Is there a better solution?

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 19, 2009 19:39 |  #5

Get a 1/4-20 stud and screw it into tripod socket on bottom of camera.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

gfm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2009 22:35 as a reply to  @ Sledhed's post |  #6

There is no screw or attachment hole on the Radiopopper JRX transmitter so I probably need some kind of adapter.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 19, 2009 22:58 |  #7

I've never seen a Jrx on a camera, but I simply tilt my head enough that I can see around my Cybersync transmitter with my left eye. I probably watch the action more with the left eye than I do with my right eye in the VF.

If you have trouble doing that, I would velcro the transmitter to the camera. The adhesive that is on the good velcro will come off fairly easily. It's a good idea to pull the velcro off the camera and replace it every month or so to avoid the adhesive becoming overly gooey.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

gfm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2009 23:48 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #8

I looked at a picture of the Cybersync transmitter, compare to the JRX it looks like narrower and taller.
By "simply tilt my head enough" do you mean like looking under or over the transmitter when in portrait mode?
I tried that but it did not feel to work, may be it is because the JRX is wider than the Cybersync, not sure.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 20, 2009 00:03 |  #9

gfm wrote in post #9231203 (external link)
I looked at a picture of the Cybersync transmitter, compare to the JRX it looks like narrower and taller.
By "simply tilt my head enough" do you mean like looking under or over the transmitter when in portrait mode?
I tried that but it did not feel to work, may be it is because the JRX is wider than the Cybersync, not sure.

In portrait orientation, I rotate my head so that my left eye is looking over the top of the transmitter. I keep the camera level and have my head at an angle when my nose is making contact with the hotshoe of the camera/base of the transmitter.

This is on a 1DMkIIn. I don't think the 50D has as pronounced and tall of a pentaprism "hump", so it might not line up as well.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 20, 2009 08:58 |  #10

gfm wrote in post #9230937 (external link)
There is no screw or attachment hole on the Radiopopper JRX transmitter so I probably need some kind of adapter.

OK, there is on a Pocket Wizard which is what I use.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 20, 2009 10:26 |  #11

OP, are you using a grip?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

gfm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 20, 2009 12:22 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #12

No, I don't use a grip.
Seems like the easiest for me will be to use Velcro to attach the transmitter to the bottom of the camera. Not ideal but it will do the trick.

sponsored links

1,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash radio transmitter in the way when shooting with both eyes open
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.