Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2009 (Saturday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My XT quit today

five-o
130 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 19, 2009 17:58 |  #1

Ok so my wife was attempting to take a photo today and realized there was no CF card installed. So I give her one and she puts it in with the camera still turned on (Im in the other room). Then she says the camera wont take any pictures. I tell her to shut it off and turn back on. Then she tells me it wont turn off. I take a look and the switch is off and the camera is on. So I pull the battery and re-insert and now it wont power on. Ive pulled the CF card, removed the lens, charged the battery, etc. Its just dead now. Any ideas?

Canon XT, 200mm 2.8L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 II, kit lens, Sigma 500 Super, Stroboframe.

sponsored links
DarioC
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 19, 2009 18:13 |  #2

I might have misunderstood what you wrote, but doesn't the camera turn off as soon as the memory card slot door is opened?

It sounds like the camera somehow froze forcing you to turn if off removing the battery, I think I've done that before and never had a problem though :confused:

Flickr (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,027 posts
Gallery: 298 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2009 18:28 |  #3

Check if any of the tiny pins to connect CF card in the slot are bent. Also try to remove the little backup battery for a few minutes and start all over again. Did you try another CF-card and did you try reformatting the card?

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

five-o
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 19, 2009 18:47 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #4

I dont know. I dont install my CF cards with the power on. You're probably right. All Im saying is the switch was left on. But my wife said the power never shut off until I took the battery out. Who knows.

Ive tried multiple CF cards, the pins are fine. I'll try removing the other battery. Does anyone know why the camera would stay on when its turned off? Then not turn back on when the battery is re-installed? Can a battery fail and cause this? Ok I'm just gonna take out the other battery and see what happens. Im just mad because my kid has his first game tomorrow and Christmas is right around the corner and for now I have no camera :cry:

Canon XT, 200mm 2.8L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 II, kit lens, Sigma 500 Super, Stroboframe.

440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 19, 2009 19:05 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

This has happened to me a few times. I screw with manual lenses, and have a few adapters with "AF confirm" focus chips on them. Occasionally the camera will freeze as you describe. Removing / replacing the card normally does not cause problems with the power on.

I'd do as above--remove the battery and charge it. Let the camera sit for awhile. It should power up and fire with NO lens attached. I would also try it first with NO CF card. I suppose it's possible that the card has suffered some failure---electrical failure or electrostatic discharge, and the camera should power up with no card. If it does try a different card.

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 19, 2009 19:22 |  #6

You're implying your wife somehow hurt the camera because she didn't turn it off before inserting a CF card. That can't harm the camera. So for the sake of your marriage, accept that it had nothing to do with the camera failing. There is some other problem that your wife did not cause, and having it sent into Canon is the best solution if you can't get it working normally on your own.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 19, 2009 20:26 |  #7

try taking the battery out of the camera for half an hour or something to make sure all the electrons have discharged and try again, with no card and see what happens. I change my CF card regularly with the camera ON and never a problem..

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 19, 2009 20:39 |  #8

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to use the Loyalty Program!

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 19, 2009 20:41 |  #9

just call in for a loyalty program and grab a 50D or 7D even LOL!

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

five-o
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 19, 2009 21:52 as a reply to  @ Replaces's post |  #10

yeah that may be an option except my kids are gonna get Christmas presents so I wont have the money for another month or two :cry:

So, i took out both batteries for a while, made sure i had a full charge, took out the CF card and even removed the lens. No matter what it has no power. I think its toast. I dont know how many pics ive taken with it but i imagine its well over 50,000. Just bad timing.

sponsored links

1,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
My XT quit today
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.