Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2009 (Saturday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XTI vs 40D, worth the upgrade?

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 19, 2009 23:50 |  #1

I have an XTI and have had it about 1 1/2 years now. I have been fooling with my lens lineup and after picking up an 85 1.8 I feel that I am happy with the lenses I have. However, I have been lusting after a 40D since I found this last year. I am not unhappy with the XTI, I am just wondering what I am missing.

My question that I am hoping someone can answer is do I really gain that much from upgrading to the 40D? I understand that it is performs better at the higher ISOs, but with the new hack I can get up to 3200 now. I have really only blown a few shots up past 5x7, so the noise is not too bad.

Since I am not lusting after the next lens that I want, am just curious if I should change my attention to the 40D or is there not enough of a difference.

Thanks for any opinions on the matter, especially anyone that has made the jump.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 20, 2009 00:00 |  #2

Although I haven't gone from the xti to 40D, I have gone from the xt to the 40D. To put it simply, I have lost all respect for the xt and am afraid to take a picture on it instead of the 40D. It is so far from the same camera it is ridiculous. It obviously isn't the same market or anything, but it is a much better camera and is so much more in every area available. It definitely operates differently but it isn't just one step better, it is a flight of stairs better. Definitely worth it; go to a camera store and attach your lens to both and see what I mean.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

sky99
35 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 20, 2009 00:02 |  #3

I almost went with the XTi myself, before finally going for the 40D, which I'm very glad that I did. I'm quiet new to DLSR though,
I would think that now you have the XTi which from all reports is a great camera, that you should stay with it, I really don't think that you will gain that much going up to the 40D. I would think that a 60D Canon will be just around the corner and you
could think of upgrading then.
Stay with the XTi make the most of it for now.

Canon EOS 30V-(Film),Canon 40D, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 135mm f2.0L.

annietex
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2009 00:13 as a reply to  @ sky99's post |  #4

I have the XTi and upgraded to the 50D. And I agree with what Bendel says: even though I have the XTi as a backup, I hardly use it because the 50D is SO much better. The number one difference for me has been focus speed. The 50D is WAY faster and more accurate then my XTi could ever be. That alone is enough for me.

Ann
Gear List

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 20, 2009 02:04 |  #5

I would say the greatest improvements in noise control with a 40D. On the XTI ISO 400 is acceptable and 800 is very noisy.

I would say in terms of IQ there isn't a world of a difference between the 40D and 400D when it comes to using external flash. I used my 50D and XTI at an event. My 5D classic was at Canon getting the mirror "fix". I used my XTI with Sigma 30 and I was amazed at the IQ. After comparing those photo's with my 50D I was happy how the XTI performed.

The 40D is close to being discontinued or perhaps it already is. The AF is much better and the noise level is definitely well controlled compared to the XTI. If you think the IQ will be worlds apart.....Its not. Comparing my 50D to my 5D classic theres a substantial difference in IQ (5D) compared to the crop 50D. 50D to XTI I dont thinks its anything drastic especially when you put your photos on print (8x10, 5x7, 4x6).

If your style requires quick AF then the 40D is much better in landing the shot. If your subjects are slow moving/stationary I'd invest in more glass.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

JReady
229 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 20, 2009 02:12 |  #6

I made the exact upgrade you are talking about. I had an xti for about 1 and a half years and was happy with its performance. I saw a 40D for a good price and upgraded, it was almost an impulse buy lol. I am VERY happy with my desicion to upgrade and never looked back. I wouldn't say the IQ is a lot better, but the 40D has features that improves your chances of capturing the image you want. Not to mention the xti feels like a toy after holding the 40D. Good luck with your decision.

Gear :: Flickr (external link) :: Blog (external link)

zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 20, 2009 05:51 |  #7

duane0524 wrote in post #9231213 (external link)
I have an XTI and have had it about 1 1/2 years now. I have been fooling with my lens lineup and after picking up an 85 1.8 I feel that I am happy with the lenses I have. However, I have been lusting after a 40D since I found this last year. I am not unhappy with the XTI, I am just wondering what I am missing.

My question that I am hoping someone can answer is do I really gain that much from upgrading to the 40D? I understand that it is performs better at the higher ISOs, but with the new hack I can get up to 3200 now. I have really only blown a few shots up past 5x7, so the noise is not too bad.

Since I am not lusting after the next lens that I want, am just curious if I should change my attention to the 40D or is there not enough of a difference.

Thanks for any opinions on the matter, especially anyone that has made the jump.

long time ago,i had 400d as my first dslr. then i experienced the same as u do now, upgraded to 40d (and have it until now,for it's speed AF).
With your condition right now, do u wish to get a used 40d ??
I suggest to get a new 50d or at least 7d (if u have that budget). And it's worth to upgrade, whatever it is a used 40d or a new 7d, from your XTi.
U'll feel very different from holding the camera itself, ISO, image & body quality, resolution, and the speed.
Your gear is good enough, especially 85 1.8. :D

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

Golfhack
61 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 20, 2009 05:54 as a reply to  @ zshaft's post |  #8

I had a T1I 500D and bought a low-mileage 40D with plans to keep the T1i for backup. As you can see below the difference was so profound I bought a 2nd low-mileage 40D and sent the T1i down the road. You won't be sorry.

If owning lots of gear made you a great photographer I'd be Ansel Adams
Gear List

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 05:56 |  #9

Yep IQ-wise depending on the situation they will be similar (low light, having to use higher ISO the 40D will be better) but the AF-speed, burst, and ergonomics are much better with the XXD series body.

Gearlist ยท Feedback

canonfaithfulforever
430 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 07:12 |  #10

What do you like to shoot?

I've just moved from the XTi to the 50D, ive only held it for a minute or two before it was wrapped up for christmas but just from that short time it was love lol

IQ improvement will be minimal as the sensor is still a 1.6 crop, but there will be a colour rendition improvement with the DIGIC III processor of the 40D but for the biggest IQ improvement you must go for a bigger sensor.

The XXD series are better for most things but if your requirements are limited then maybe pick up a 70-200 variant and stick with the XTi until you can afford a 50D or its follow on.

Gear List - Flickrexternal link - Wordpressexternal link - 500pxexternal link

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 20, 2009 07:27 as a reply to  @ richierich1212's post |  #11

I literally just picked up a low mileage 40D about an hour ago, and have just started to play with it, setting the custom functions to my preferred style and so on.

First thing I noticed is that the viewfinder is nicer. 2nd, better AF. Third, the settings (ISO, F stop, shutter) appear on the LCD on top only, I actually quite liked the way the 400D would display the settings on the rear LCD, and being blind, I find it hard to quickly see what my settings are on the tiny lcd at the top..

I do a lot of scuba diving photography, so having to flick the camera up and adjust my eyes to the tiny digits will be a pain, luckily, the settings don't need to be changed too much, and I can always adjust my strobes instead.

I have not taken any pics yet, I'll leave that for tomorrow, there is an orb spider hanging around, and I have been doing some macro shots of it with my 400D, will use the same set up (100 macro, 60 odd mm of extension tubes + Raynox diopter) and see if I can notice a pic quality difference, though I suspect I wont. I do, however, expect to see a better hit rate thanks to the better viewfinder :)

The rest is going to be just getting used to the new set up. I'm used to the ISO, AF, WB etc buttons all being on the back, not at the top near the shutter button, so it'll take a little while for it all to happen on the fly, but I look forward to playing with it!

My girlfriend is getting my 400D, which I am pretty happy about, as I am quite fond of the little 400D.

As for if it is worth it, I'll make that call after my trips to SE Asia next week, and my trip to the US and Europe in April...

Z...

duane0524
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 07:44 |  #12

Bendel wrote in post #9231243 (external link)
Although I haven't gone from the xti to 40D, I have gone from the xt to the 40D. To put it simply, I have lost all respect for the xt and am afraid to take a picture on it instead of the 40D. It is so far from the same camera it is ridiculous. It obviously isn't the same market or anything, but it is a much better camera and is so much more in every area available. It definitely operates differently but it isn't just one step better, it is a flight of stairs better. Definitely worth it; go to a camera store and attach your lens to both and see what I mean.

I am afraid to hold the 40D, that is how I ended up with the 50 1.4. I need to decide before I touch it or the decision will be made for me.

Thanks for the response.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

duane0524
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 07:48 |  #13

sky99 wrote in post #9231252 (external link)
I almost went with the XTi myself, before finally going for the 40D, which I'm very glad that I did. I'm quiet new to DLSR though,
I would think that now you have the XTi which from all reports is a great camera, that you should stay with it, I really don't think that you will gain that much going up to the 40D. I would think that a 60D Canon will be just around the corner and you
could think of upgrading then.
Stay with the XTi make the most of it for now.

Thanks for the response.

duane0524
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 07:50 |  #14

annietex wrote in post #9231281 (external link)
The 50D is WAY faster and more accurate then my XTi could ever be. That alone is enough for me.

Are you saying that the focus is faster and accurate?

duane0524
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 20, 2009 07:51 |  #15

AlanU wrote in post #9231565 (external link)
I would say the greatest improvements in noise control with a 40D. On the XTI ISO 400 is acceptable and 800 is very noisy.

I would say in terms of IQ there isn't a world of a difference between the 40D and 400D when it comes to using external flash. I used my 50D and XTI at an event. My 5D classic was at Canon getting the mirror "fix". I used my XTI with Sigma 30 and I was amazed at the IQ. After comparing those photo's with my 50D I was happy how the XTI performed.

The 40D is close to being discontinued or perhaps it already is. The AF is much better and the noise level is definitely well controlled compared to the XTI. If you think the IQ will be worlds apart.....Its not. Comparing my 50D to my 5D classic theres a substantial difference in IQ (5D) compared to the crop 50D. 50D to XTI I dont thinks its anything drastic especially when you put your photos on print (8x10, 5x7, 4x6).

If your style requires quick AF then the 40D is much better in landing the shot. If your subjects are slow moving/stationary I'd invest in more glass.

Thanks for the excellent comparison, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

sponsored links

8,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
XTI vs 40D, worth the upgrade?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.