Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Dec 2009 (Monday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D classic or 5DmkII

divinemethod
536 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 21, 2009 14:38 |  #16

For those who complain about the 5D 2 AF vs D700... how many of you ACTUALLY did real world field tests, and see how they compare? Here's my story...

My buddy and second shooter uses the d700 / d3 combo and I shoot 1d3 / 5d2 -- the biggest separating factor with our gear isn't AF... but our choice of lenses; he likes his zooms, as they are pretty good wide open and I like my primes (my 24-105 and 16-35 are not as useful as his 14-24 + 24-70 combo) . With the same type of lens, 135 F2 or 70-200 2.8 IS/VR(as we both own these lenses for both systems) the AF in the real world (throughout a full wedding shoot) seems to be about the same, where at times I would prefer the Canon and at times I would prefer the Nikon... but there is nothing that would give one or the other "hands down" performance advantage. Those who say so do based on theory -- and not real life usage.

~Siva
Gear List | My Website (external link)

sponsored links
dhikx
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2009 14:41 |  #17

thanks for your suggetstion guys ...
finally, i choose 5D classic ....
so the rest of the money i will buy a lighting equipment and wide lens ...

thx so much

5Dmk2 | 24-105 f4 L | 135 f.2 L | 100mm f2.8 macro USM

bluefox9er
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Location: UK,don't move ehre,it rains a lot, it's incredibly violent and the women pee standing up..

Dec 21, 2009 15:59 |  #18

no point getting the 5dmkII unless you need extra MPs and video. also, youre more likely to be able to actually BUY a 5d because canon have seriously no idea how to get the 5dmkII from factory to retailer.
either way expect a 4 year old AF system

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157602​470636767/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157604​292148339/ (external link)
Canon EOS 1d mk III, Canon EOS 5d,Canon EOS 400d, 24-70 mm F2.8 L, ef 24-105 F4 L IS, ef 17-40 mm F4 L, 70-200 mm f2.8 IS L, 100-400 mm IS L, 50mmm f1.8, 85mmf1.8mm, ef 35 mm f1.4L, ef 135 mm f2 L,Canon Powershot G9, Epson p400-, hyperdrive space 120gb

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2009 16:06 |  #19

I was quite happy with my 5D. I replaced it with a 5DII and, honestly, I don't use the bells and whistles, often, and don't often print 16 x 20 but I do have to shoot at high ISO quite often. It's the ONLY reason I went for the 5DII. If the ISO performance was the same, I would never have thought about changing the 5D for the 5DII.

The 5D produces magical images, imho.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 22, 2009 11:38 |  #20

dhikx wrote in post #9238719 (external link)
i want upgrade my body camera from crop factor eos 400D to full frame ...
i just confused about 5D classic(mkI) or 5D mkII .. which one is more worthed to buy ..
i dont really mind about video features in mkII ...

i must sell my 400D + 2 lens(17-50 tamron and 55-250 IS) and add some money for buy 5D ..

i think ,i buy 5D classic and after a month collecting some money and go for wide lens...

can u give me some suggestion please ..
i really confused about this 5D classic ...
coz' some of my friend said,5D classic just out of the date ... and its too old now ..

YUP! too old... u will regret next year if u buy 5dc now...
and even u buy 5dc, u must sell all your EFS lenses.
if have more budget, go for 5d2, definitely.
IF not that high, but u NEED to upgrade body, hmh, go for 7d / 50d is a better option.
Just remember, u'd need to buy some (new) lenses to suit your photography needs, in the future. So, be wise spending your coins. :D

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 22, 2009 11:39 |  #21

I <3 my 5D. With the price of the 5DMKII and the difference between the two, it really isn't worth it right now.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 22, 2009 11:40 |  #22

bohdank wrote in post #9240443 (external link)
I was quite happy with my 5D. I replaced it with a 5DII and, honestly, I don't use the bells and whistles, often, and don't often print 16 x 20 but I do have to shoot at high ISO quite often. It's the ONLY reason I went for the 5DII. If the ISO performance was the same, I would never have thought about changing the 5D for the 5DII.

The 5D produces magical images, imho.

That's my reason too, to get 5d2 over 5dc. Once again, ISO is the key answer for me.:D

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 11:45 |  #23

divinemethod wrote in post #9239988 (external link)
For those who complain about the 5D 2 AF vs D700... how many of you ACTUALLY did real world field tests, and see how they compare? Here's my story...

Have never used a D700, but ...

I think the 40D, in low light focus faster then a 5DII ...

40D > 5DII > 30D ... for cameras that I've used, in terms of AF in low light

Do not regret getting 5DII, and still will not get D700, but if I had known about 7D's AF features, I probably would have waited for next version of 5DII.

bikgc
625 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2009 17:33 |  #24

5D Mark I and Ive never looked back

http://www.viksoos.com (external link)

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 22, 2009 22:26 as a reply to  @ bikgc's post |  #25

I have to agree that the 40D locks focus faster than my 5D2 (outer points) in low light.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 23, 2009 01:12 |  #26

dhikx wrote in post #9238719 (external link)
i want upgrade my body camera from crop factor eos 400D to full frame ...
i just confused about 5D classic(mkI) or 5D mkII .. which one is more worthed to buy ..
i dont really mind about video features in mkII ...

i must sell my 400D + 2 lens(17-50 tamron and 55-250 IS) and add some money for buy 5D ..

i think ,i buy 5D classic and after a month collecting some money and go for wide lens...

can u give me some suggestion please ..
i really confused about this 5D classic ...
coz' some of my friend said,5D classic just out of the date ... and its too old now ..

Halo, apa kabar!

If you're buying new, it's probably worth it to stretch the budget to a 5DII. But if you're buying used, a used 5D is about 1/2 the price of a used 5DII, which makes it a much better bargain. There are a lot of nice aspects to the 5DII, but in short unless you are printing massive prints a 5D will do just as well for much less.

People like your friends who say that any camera is too old don't understand what cameras are for. Newer is often better, but that never makes old cameras stop working, and some cameras like the 5D rise far above any technical limitations due to age. The 5D Classic is, well, a classic for good reason--image quality from it is terrific. The fact that newer cameras can do certain things better don't make that any less true. It's just up to each person to decide if the newer features are worth the extra money.

sponsored links

4,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D classic or 5DmkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.