Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 19 Dec 2009 (Saturday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Site- whatcha all think?

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2009 17:16 |  #1

Hey guys,

I'm at a finishing touches stage of my site, would love to get some feedback

clicky here! (external link)

cheers,
Mark

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 20, 2009 00:48 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I think it's great. Navigation is fast and easy, client login and blog included- looks like it's the complete package! Insanely good pics make it hard to look at anything else though ;)

I just have one question, why do commercial/fashion photographers call their galleries "books"?

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2009 03:35 |  #3

Hey Karl, thanks for your kind words!

the 'books'- umm, cause it's cool :cool: seriously though, it derives from taking your print portfolio 'book' to creative directors and art directors.

blog (external link) weddings (external link) commercial (external link) mm (external link)

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2009 11:06 |  #4

Mark,

You've got mad skills and your site if very good, loads fast and easy to navigate.

On my MacBook Pro, my resolution is 1440 x 900 (maxed out). With that, your layout is slightly larger than one page (see images below). I think it just might be slightly neater to have it all fit onto one page - so the logo is always there for everyone to see. Also the logo needs a space. Overall, very well done. Oh ya, I know nothing about web pages - I just look at loads of them. :)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i168.photobucke​t.com …risPhotographer​|Book2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i168.photobucke​t.com …sPhotographer|B​ook2-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2009 13:43 |  #5

cool, thanks for the feedback, and thanks for going to the trouble of doing the screen grabs, much appreciated :)

88 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2009 14:17 |  #6

Nicely done. I can only echo sf1's comments. I believe the main navigation should be visible without having to scroll. It is too easy to not realize that you need to scroll down to navigate the site. My res. is 1152 X 864. I am also getting a box with the red "X" just below the logo. Is there an option for you to clean up all of your url's? If I right click on you images I get a prefix of "https://media-folioflow-com.s3.amazonaws.com" It might be a good idea to see if these can be cleaned up...

All in all, I like what you've got so far.

Two-5D3, 7D, 70-200L 2.8 II & 4 II, 24-70L I & II, 16-35L II, 17-40L, 17-55, 50 1.4, 100 Macro , 15 fisheye, 1.4 extender, 430 and 580 speedlites

skydiver_8
362 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 20, 2009 14:39 as a reply to  @ 1361's post |  #7

something's not loading under the left side of the title....I just get the red x.....

===============

What if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2009 22:23 |  #8

Well, friend, you are an excellent photographer. I basically looked at every picture on your site (except all the architecture). Great shots, good website. I'm not a big fan of white (your homepage's color), but that's a personal preference, of course.

One other thing (and my wife noticed it too) is that the photo on your homepage, while excellent, is not your best work in terms of giving a first impression. This, again, is personal preference. But also I noticed that the green chair appears as if it was cut and pasted into the scene. I had to look closely to see that it was, in fact, on the beach. However, it just didnt' seem to flow for my eyes. Maybe it's the way the light on the log is interfering with the chair. I'm not sure. It almost looks as if the back of the chair is resting on the log. I'd rather see one of the other photos on the front page. But that's just me.

But overall this website is very professional.

I think it's really good.

Thank you. bw!

RachelC1184
228 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2009 22:29 |  #9

Stunning Images, stunning site!!! But +1 ^^Not a big fan of white. It's clean though!

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 21, 2009 02:38 |  #10

Thanks Mike & Rachel, I really appreciate that. I've toyed a lot with that front image, I really don't know which one to put on the front page so any help with that would be fantastic! I find it very hard to pick one that can show as much as possible of what I can do, I suppose that is why that one is on there.

Yeah, black looked messy, as soon as I turned it white it cleaned it up, so it white it is.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 12:10 as a reply to  @ harroz's post |  #11

I'd disable being able to click on "Portfolio" as it goes to a content-less page. I know nothing about web design so I'm not sure if this is asking too much, but maybe consider making the Portfolio and Client sections a mouse-over drop down on your menu instead of having them static. Otherwise the site looks great and its very easy to use.

antisoma
38 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 22, 2009 14:39 as a reply to  @ post 9246306 |  #12

Good comments so far. Get rid of the red "photographer". There is a picture right below the header, viewers will understand. If you want to keep it move it to the right so it is less cluttered.

I think the menu at the bottom ("Home, Portfolio, Contact, etc"> would be better centred. But that might just be me. Your photos are excellent!

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2009 19:22 |  #13

Thanks for your feddback guys/girls, fantastic!.

hmm, never thought of losing the red 'photographer' but I think you're right. I'll try it later if i get a chance a long with the other things

thanks!

hdco1209
240 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 22, 2009 21:41 as a reply to  @ harroz's post |  #14

Great shots, great site. I'd probably prefer black or dark grey bg but the white is nice too and feels modern and clean and one does see a lot of black these days.

I would definitely keep Photographer or Photography or Imaging or Imagination Made Real Through The Magic Of Pictures or whatever. Any web designer would tell you that you want every single person who goes to the site to know in a glance what it is. It's more subtle and creative not to "label" yourself but this site is to get work, right? Direct approach will probably work better even if it seems gratuitous given the content.

Gear

harroz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2009 22:20 |  #15

good point, and you're right, it's there to get work. I'll toy with it, maybe just a stroke around white or something for the photographer might work better than red. I see what he means though as there's no other red on the site. Thats actually my logo- black or white and red, so I'd have to think about losing that if i took it away.

cheers for your input. Now I just need time to check out these changes:rolleyes:

sponsored links

2,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Site- whatcha all think?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.