Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500D / T1i, What custom settings do you use ?

Fish ­ Chris
62 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2009 10:43 |  #1

Note, I didn't ask what settings should I use, I know... I know... that's up to me right ? Just curious.

I had previously been shooting with

sharpness; 5
contrast; 0
saturation; +2
color tone; 0

.....then, I was reading a post from one photo guru who said he had tried the above contrast and saturation settings, and it didn't cut it for him. So he switched to +2 contrast, and 0 saturation, and it worked much better.

Okay..... (probably a dumb question) But won't boosting the in-camera contrast, reduce the dynamic range ?

Oh, and while I'm here..... I know some people recommend shooting at 0 sharpness, and doing all the needed sharpening later, in PP..... But I'm a little paranoid about going out for a whole day, and taking 500 shots, that are all so hopelessly soft, that I can't get them satisfactorily sharp later, in PP ! How sensitive are these settings ?

I know.... test shots, right ? Problem is, I'm like working.... working... working.... Bam ! Next I'm in the field taking shots that matter, with almost zero time in between :(

Oh, I'm shooting in JPG {lets save RAW talk for another thread}

Much thanks,
Fish

PS, I've also been setting the "High ISO Speed Noise Reduction" to "1 low".... But, should I be running "0 standard" or "3 disable".... and again, taking care of this stuff in PP ? What are you setting this at ?

sponsored links
Iamcuddles
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2009 14:28 |  #2

RAW :)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2009 16:22 |  #3

That's a picture style you are talking about mostly. They don't really affect Raw but you said to leave that for another day so fair enough. I have all 3 user styles set up, I find the saturation is good for anything but people when it can sometimes do funny things to the skin tones (sometimes the saturation setting seems to affect the color temp/tone as well). I have a modified landscape setting with more sharpness mostly for bird shots where I shoot zillions and don't want to process all the Raw images (and need long bursts). I have a modified standard setting with more sharpness and contrast for sports with people so I don't mess up the skin tones but also when I take hundreds of shots and don't have time to process them all and need longer than 9 shot bursts. And I have a style for B&W with more sharpness, contrast and a yellow filter for times when I want B&W without 'cheating' and converting Raws to B&W later. It feels more final that way when I can't decide I really wanted it color later. For other situations I prefer Raw.

For the actual custom functions I like standard NR. Low and off are no faster than standard while strong really slows it down.

I often like to use mirror lockup which is another custom function. Some others, can't remember them all off the top of my head but I have my favorites on "my menu" so I can get to them quickly.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 24, 2009 15:41 |  #4

I really need to start to get into RAW, but for now my JPEG settings are

Sharpness = 7
Contrast = +2
Saturation = +2
Color tone = 0

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 25, 2009 08:56 |  #5

So for custom functions:

1 Left at 1/3 stop exposure increments
2 ISO Expansion turned on, why would you want it off?
3 Flash sync in Av mode left on auto so I can drag the shutter
4 Long exposure noise reduction left on auto
5 High ISO noise reduction left on standard
6 Highlight tone priority left disabled, tried it a few times but never saw much I liked
7 Auto lighting optimizer left standard
8 AF assist enabled, once in a while it is helpful especially with the nifty fifty which sucks at low light focusing though I prefer to use a Speedlite which makes my kit lens actually better for flash use, ironically
9 Mirror lockup, normally disabled but I enable it for some tripod shots
10 AE/AF lock, normally I leave it on 0 for everyday shooting but for action I use 1, 2 or 3 depending
11 Assign set button to Quality so I can switch between Raw, Raw + Large Fine JPEG or Large Fine JPEG. For regular shooting I'll normally have it on both, for short action bursts on Raw or for long bursts on JPEG only
12 LCD when power on set to Retain power off status.
13 Add original decision data left off

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

Fish ­ Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 25, 2009 09:21 as a reply to  @ hpulley's post |  #6

Thank you guys. Actually I'm interested in both picture styles, as well as custom functions, so all of this helped.

Sounds pretty close to what I'm running now though.

Peace,
Fish

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 25, 2009 09:34 |  #7

Great minds think alike :-D

rijndael
193 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 25, 2009 09:41 |  #8

I found a good compromise at:

+1 Saturation
+4 Sharpness

sponsored links

7,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
500D / T1i, What custom settings do you use ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.