Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 07 Dec 2009 (Monday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Site,

dinhqphan
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 07, 2009 18:20 |  #1

Well i'm still an amateur photographer and I recently got into developing my own site. Its still not completely done yet but I would like to have opinions.

http://phantographer.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 08, 2009 17:42 |  #2

Music... grrr... I'm currently using my speakers, I may check back later.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

kevitivity
152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2009 00:06 as a reply to  @ tracknut's post |  #3

Adding music to your page is a big web design no-no.

Blog  (external link)| Flickr (external link)

dinhqphan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 10, 2009 06:41 |  #4

how come music is not preferred?

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 10, 2009 09:00 |  #5

you should at least give the user the choice as to whether or not the music plays. Default should be off, then if they want music they can click it on

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 10, 2009 11:22 |  #6

dinhqphan wrote in post #9169891 (external link)

I whole bunch of reasons. In my particular case, my speakers are for sound on my TV and radio. So if I have either of those on, the last thing I need is some random music from someone's web site playing over my own sound. And then there are the folks who are surfing the net at work, and don't really want your music starting to play in their cubicle. And then there are the folks who just happen to like their silence over your choice of tunes.

With all the reasons not to do music, you're more likely to distance a customer than to attract the one or two who happen to decide "hey, he has great music, therefore he must be a good photographer!"

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

dinhqphan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 10, 2009 12:30 |  #7

oh okay, thanks for the input, i'll probably change it in a bit

crashthenet44
514 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 10, 2009 12:56 as a reply to  @ dinhqphan's post |  #8

Music didn't play for me, because I don't have Quicktime installed. Not that I'm complaining on either front.

FLICKR (external link)
http://blogspot.vision​sfromphilly.com (external link)

50D | OM-2n | OM-4T | Hasselblad 500C/M | Yashica GSN | Yashica A | NO2. Brownie Model F

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2009 15:34 |  #9

crashthenet44 wrote in post #9171688 (external link)
Music didn't play for me, because I don't have Quicktime installed. Not that I'm complaining on either front.

It took a while for the music to load on my end....which is a good thing. When I visit a site that has music, I leave.

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

dinhqphan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 13, 2009 22:26 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #10

well i finally got it removed lol. anything else to say besides that?

dbravo
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 16, 2009 18:33 |  #11

I really like how clean your website looks.. the only that I wish was I had a way to scroll through the pictures. It's just a flash animation right? So if I see a picture that I really want to look at closely I can't just look at it, I will have to reload your page and then wait for it to scroll through.

Just my two cents.

Canon T2i Gripped | 50 f1.8 | 18-55 f/4-5.6 | 55-250 f/4-5.6 | Yongnuo YN568 | Yongnuo YN560ii

Imagineering
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 19, 2009 22:08 |  #12

dinhqphan wrote in post #9169891 (external link)

because nobody likes your music, not yours personally per se, but if you have a thing for michael bolton, and i go to your site, and that boots up, well arrive derchi. besides music is cheesy and gimmicky imo. But so many photographers seem to have music on their site, I dont get it. Esp children and wedding photogs, I guess they think it adds to the experience, or puts you in the mood, or makes up for lack of something else. I dunno, but its a pretty surefire way to get people to go elsewhere. Like when someone selling religion rings your doorbell, you look out the window and are like ugh, I aint answering. It would be sort of like buying a new car and picking it up and the dealership took the liberty of hanging a stack of pine tree airfresheners from the mirror.....do you really want to smell that crap?

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2009 14:42 as a reply to  @ Imagineering's post |  #13

I'm a bit confused. Is your main site the slideshow or the blog? If it is the blog, I might change that link to say "Enter my Site" or something like that to indicate that that's where you want your visitors to go.

sponsored links

1,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Site,
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.