Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 07:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are 5D (classic) too expensive?

5D_USER
135 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2009 16:37 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

JeffreyG wrote in post #9243908 (external link)
The FF sensor of the 5D is what it is all about. The IQ is excellent.

The latest and greatest 1.6X body at $1800 (7D) is only now just about pulling even with the venerable 5D.

If you can live with the AF system (center point is quite good, the other points are decoration) and the slow blackout and frame rate for your application then the 5D is good value. You have to spend $1800 on a 7D (which is going to depreciate faster) to get similar IQ.

No other 1.6X bodies have IQ as good as the 5D.

DXO-mark doesn't agree with you.

IMAGE: http://i46.tinypic.com/ziu80p.jpg

As you can see 5D classic beats 7D by big margin, specially in low light ISO.

Only in DR (Dynamic Range) 7D does show up some character as 4 year younger technology.

But the old classic is outstanding in IQ and of cause the Full Frame sensor is the magic trick, but also, it's like all things clicked together with this product.

Flickr (external link)
My gear: Canon 5D Classic, Canon 1D MkIIn. Lenses: 100-400 IS, 24-105 IS, 135 f2.0, 17-40 f4.0, 50 f1.4

sponsored links
bikgc
625 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2009 16:42 |  #17

I had a 50D for 3 Days before I sold it and bought a 5d for $1000 and it was worth every penny. I love it.

http://www.viksoos.com (external link)

Pit
289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 22, 2009 16:55 |  #18

Are you kidding me? $1100 for an amazing Full Frame camera is a steal! Number one reason why the price is so high is the FF sensor. Sure its not brand spanking new but its proven, and tried and it really is a work horse. I bought my 5D about a year ago for $1100 of a friend (thank him to this day for that deal) with about 8,000 clicks on it. I considered MK II but seriously i love this camera so much and i rather spend the cash on lenses for now. It's not about the pixel count in the sensor that makes it cost more it's the size. and well FF has a much larger area than a APS sensor.

Canon EOS 6D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 Mk I, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MK II, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, 430EX, Transceivers, Bags, Tripods, Cables, Trigger Trap.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 22, 2009 17:13 |  #19

5D_USER wrote in post #9247118 (external link)
DXO-mark doesn't agree with you.

DxOMark's results are widely mistrusted. They come off with some very strange numbers that aren't backed up by actual image testing.

flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 22, 2009 17:17 |  #20

Brett wrote in post #9247303 (external link)
DxOMark's results are widely mistrusted. They come off with some very strange numbers that aren't backed up by actual image testing.

There numbers are fine, they are just completely useless for actual photographers.

DxO reports sensor performance on a per-pixel basis. Photographers are interested in the whole.

IMO DxO reviews are close to useless.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 22, 2009 17:22 |  #21

It has very little competition at it's current value price point.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 22, 2009 18:25 |  #22

For a Full Frame sensor camera for around 1,000-1,200, you can't find any other like it on the market.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

DStanic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 22, 2009 18:42 |  #23

Wow thanks for all the feedback, there are obviously alot of 5D supporters. :)

I think I get caught up in the gear side of things.. things like the fancy LCD, lens micro adjust, etc. on all the new cameras can make you think you "need" it. But when I'm shooting with my 30D I never think about that stuff I just enjoy the camera. :)

Palladium wrote in post #9244290 (external link)
I think you have to use a 5D to understand it's magic.

I've never used a FF sensor camera before (only film). I think you are probably right, I'm sure I would love the results. While the 50D and 7D are nice, their pics don't seem to have the same "pop" that 5D/5DmkII images seem to have.

Maybe in the summer if I save enough money I'll buy one- worst thing that could happen is I don't like it and re-sell it.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 22, 2009 22:12 |  #24

JeffreyG wrote in post #9247324 (external link)
There numbers are fine, they are just completely useless for actual photographers.

DxO reports sensor performance on a per-pixel basis. Photographers are interested in the whole.

IMO DxO reviews are close to useless.

Thanks, you clarified what I meant. Useless. :)

DStanic wrote in post #9247745 (external link)
Wow thanks for all the feedback, there are obviously alot of 5D supporters. :)

There sure are. The 5D Classic Admirers thread is on its third iteration, with over 23,000 posts.

DStanic wrote in post #9247745 (external link)
While the 50D and 7D are nice, their pics don't seem to have the same "pop" that 5D/5DmkII images seem to have.

That's most likely because a FF camera has 1-1/3 stop shallower depth of field for the same framing at the same focal length as a 1.6x crop camera.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are 5D (classic) too expensive?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.