Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 23 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do.....?

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 23, 2009 21:20 |  #1

I recently sold a camera ( 40d) to a person. This is a camera which I had no problems with when I used it....but I hadn't used it for about 10 months so it sat in my bag. My primary cameras are my Mark 3 and Mark 2N. My daughter used it a couple times to go out with me and shoot some nature stuff. It was cleaned and calibrated about 1.5 years ago with my 17-55 by Canon. So I sell it and transaction was fine. Now 6 weeks later, he informs me that the camera is front focusing and accusing me of selling a bad camera.....and he is contacting me to " make the situation right!" He states he sent it to Canon and the work will cost $200...which is the standard Canon cleaning and calibration charge! What would you do in this situation. I certainly wish he had notified me before 6 weeks which raises some concerns to me. On the other hand , I would never wish anyone to be unhappy with a transaction I made. Again, what would you do??

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

sponsored links
zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 23, 2009 21:34 |  #2

as long as it's stated on the agreement that everything happen after 1 or 2 days / 1 week after buying the camera, will be subjected to the buyer.

in my country, there's a limit test period for it. maximum 7 days after buying.
After 7 days past, it's fully responsibility of the buyer.
(we will never know what happen for 6 weeks, right?? how if the camera breaks/hit something hard by the mistake of your buyer?? then he blame u..)

So, it's not your responsibility but his.
By the way, DID HE DO PROPER TEST WHEN HE BOUGHT IT ON 1ST DAY ??
it's his fault not to do a fully proper test.

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 23, 2009 21:39 |  #3

jcpoulin wrote in post #9254545 (external link)
I recently sold a camera ( 40d) to a person. This is a camera which I had no problems with when I used it....but I hadn't used it for about 10 months so it sat in my bag. My primary cameras are my Mark 3 and Mark 2N. My daughter used it a couple times to go out with me and shoot some nature stuff. It was cleaned and calibrated about 1.5 years ago with my 17-55 by Canon. So I sell it and transaction was fine. Now 6 weeks later, he informs me that the camera is front focusing and accusing me of selling a bad camera.....and he is contacting me to " make the situation right!" He states he sent it to Canon and the work will cost $200...which is the standard Canon cleaning and calibration charge! What would you do in this situation. I certainly wish he had notified me before 6 weeks which raises some concerns to me. On the other hand , I would never wish anyone to be unhappy with a transaction I made. Again, what would you do??

What should u do? Very simple!

When u sold him the camera it was his duty as a buyer to inspect it, and go over everything about the camera with yoiu before buying it. Assuming you didnt lie to him and told him everything about the camera, once he leaves home with it, its now his and his resposibility to care for it.
It is not your job to offer him any type of warranty for the camera, which is what he is thinking.

When he left with the camera it was in perfect working order, and thats what he paid for. Thats also where it ends for you! The camera is now his and his responsibility!

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2009 21:43 |  #4

6 weeks is too long, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Westx
139 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 23, 2009 21:47 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #5

6 weeks is to long. Also did he state what lens he was using. Could be the lens and not the camera.

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 23, 2009 21:52 |  #6

i agree that 6 weeks is too long to complain about front focus. was it front focussing from day 1? or did it just start to front focus? perhaps he bought a lens that is front focussing. too many variables. i think the most you can do (if you are so inclined) is to offer him half the cost of recalibration -- but even that is going way beyond the call. my .02.

Roger ­ W. ­ Spillman
144 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 23, 2009 21:54 |  #7

If I bought the camera, I would of gone out the first time I could of had a chance and shot a few hundred pictures and made sure everything was working ok. It would not have 6 weeks, 6 days. It would of been 1 to 3 days. I say it's his problems. Roger

40D,7D,BG-E7 mark II Grip,17-40mmL,70-200mmL,100-400mmL, 100mm 2.8L Macro 27-105mmL,Gitzo 3530LS,RRS BH-55 & BH-40 Ball heads,Wimberly Head,RRS Pano system,2 580EXII,2AlienBees B800,Sekonic L-758-DR,3 PocketWizzard Plus II,and more.

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 23, 2009 21:55 |  #8

Front focusing with one lens? With all his lenses? If it's one lens that means nothing, the lens is just as much to blame. If it's all his lenses that would seem unlikely unless he had them all calibrated to a different body, again, not your problem. Both bodies could be within what Canon considers 'spec' but at opposite ends of the spectrum. In any event six weeks is far too long, you owe him nothing.

gcflora
"I'm not normal"
1,544 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 23, 2009 22:02 |  #9

And is it really front-focusing or is it user error?!

Craig
http://www.australimag​e.com.au (external link)

firstclass
35 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 23, 2009 22:06 as a reply to  @ gcflora's post |  #10

Too long since the sale. It's his camera now and his problem. Just because you're the previous owner doesn't mean you're responsible for any problem the camera ever develops for as long as he owns it.

jcpoulin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 23, 2009 22:18 |  #11

His response to my inquiry was that it front focused right away and that his lens's are fine with other cameras ( although when he bought this, he stated that his only other camera had broke). I still don't really know why he waited 6 1/2 weeks to tell me this. He received the camera Nov 5/6th and sent a PM to another forum Dec 22 ( I don't visit there a lot and I got the message today).

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

books64
79 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 23, 2009 22:20 as a reply to  @ firstclass's post |  #12

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware). Everything used is sold "as is" unless there is an agreement that says otherwise. Other posters who say 6 weeks is too long are correct. I would maybe do something if it was less than a week, but not any more.

Lots of gear!

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 23, 2009 22:24 as a reply to  @ books64's post |  #13

6 weeks after the sale and he is just now noticing a problem? :rolleyes: It's his problem now.

Gear List & Feedback

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 23, 2009 22:26 |  #14

Actually, it sounds like he notified you within 2 weeks of receiving the camera and it took you another 4 weeks to get around to retrieving the message. Still, I would want to see some examples showing the front focusing. No telling if it is the camera, or user, without some examples.

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 23, 2009 22:27 |  #15

books64 wrote in post #9254871 (external link)
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware). Everything used is sold "as is" unless there is an agreement that says otherwise. Other posters who say 6 weeks is too long are correct. I would maybe do something if it was less than a week, but not any more.

If I bought a used camera, I would almost figure a trip to Canon at my expense a part of the purchase price. Sounds like the buyer is a toolbag. Tell him to get over it already.

If you must know...

sponsored links

1,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do.....?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.