Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Oct 2009 (Monday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Is Abe's of Maine?

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 23, 2009 21:46 |  #61

Herdinohio wrote in post #9254648 (external link)
Hi, before you write something, please read the whole story!!!! I was talking about the policy that they dont allow people to pickup package from UPS branch. what's your point?:eek:

Sorry, I misread your post (!!!). Never mind and sorry for that. I need to stop trying to read after putting in 50 hours in three days I guess.

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 24, 2009 01:19 |  #62

GovMule wrote in post #9253473 (external link)
Thanks goes out to your people Helen !

Delighted we were able to help

Herdinohio wrote in post #9254636 (external link)
I didn't know this. I bought my 5dmarkII package, flash gun and some filters from Adorama. Luckily, the UPS guy was here just after I got off from work.However I really don't see why pickup can cuz fraudulent collection. The UPS guy need to see my ID anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, I can promise you that we don't want to introduce policies that make it harder for people to purchase from us!
We had to do this because of the rampant fraud - which was costing us money that ultimately costs the customer. I guess an ID can be forged?

GovMule
560 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 24, 2009 15:29 |  #63

DaveSt wrote in post #9254396 (external link)
I don't see the issue here. Do you expect them to have a crystal ball as to exactly when Sigma is going to get them some more lenses to ship out? You must not deal with suppliers on an every day basis. This sounds like business as usual to me, even on orders that are several times the magnitude of a lens purchase. If you absolutely need a lens by a specific date, why would you even consider purchasing from a place that doesn't currently have them is stock?

Dave,
A couple things. Let me start out by letting you know I deal with vendors all day,everyday,albeit not in the world of electronics. I'm a purchasing agent. I don't know if you're misreading my post,I wasn't clear,or both. I was told they would have more lenses in 2-3 days. On the 2nd day after my original call,I called to see if they had received the lenses they were expecting,or had an updated status as to their arrival. At this point,I was then told something completely different. (that I would have to place an order,and from the time of order,it would be another 2-3 days.) That normally wouldn't be a big deal,but that's not what I was originally told.
This is not business as usual. This is how you lose business. If the salesman (I use this term lightly. Order taker would be more appropriate.) would just take the time to acknowledge the mistake,and maybe offer to see what he can do (real customer service),if anything,they would retain business. The person I was speaking with didn't seem to give sh*t. I will take my business to someone who does.

Canon 7D x2 / 50D / FUJIFILM X100F / EF 24-70 F2.8 L / EF 70-200 F4 L / EF 300 F4 L IS / EF 1.4x II /580 EX II / Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM /Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C
http://chriscouse.smug​mug.com/ (external link)
One step closer and I'll shoot you with my Canon

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 25, 2009 00:21 |  #64

GovMule wrote in post #9258383 (external link)
Dave,
A couple things. Let me start out by letting you know I deal with vendors all day,everyday,albeit not in the world of electronics. I'm a purchasing agent. I don't know if you're misreading my post,I wasn't clear,or both. I was told they would have more lenses in 2-3 days. On the 2nd day after my original call,I called to see if they had received the lenses they were expecting,or had an updated status as to their arrival. At this point,I was then told something completely different. (that I would have to place an order,and from the time of order,it would be another 2-3 days.) That normally wouldn't be a big deal,but that's not what I was originally told.
This is not business as usual. This is how you lose business. If the salesman (I use this term lightly. Order taker would be more appropriate.) would just take the time to acknowledge the mistake,and maybe offer to see what he can do (real customer service),if anything,they would retain business. The person I was speaking with didn't seem to give sh*t. I will take my business to someone who does.

I got you. I can understand your frustration. I guess I am so used to hearing lines like "oh don't worry, we'll have item x in stock in plenty of time" from our suppliers that I just sort of just disregard it these days as typical sales BS. If I know I need an item by a specific date I don't even bother with suppliers that are showing out of stock status. I think you were completely in the right by taking your business elsewhere and I would have done the same thing.

Anyhow, chances are I misread your post. I seemed to have a serious case of brain fuzz that night in all matters and would have been better served by going to bed rather than trying to make any points what so ever!

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

TheSonofDarwin
619 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 25, 2009 09:33 |  #65

AlexMoPhotography wrote in post #9213893 (external link)
Why block out the person's name? The guy who lied to me was PETER. I don't mind saying his name out loud. He said he would cancel my order per my request, but he didn't. LIAR. I want to strangle him.

You're right, I guess it doesn't really matter. It was Larry. After his first voicemail I knew what I was in for, but a quick search for Larry and Abe's verified what type of experience with Abe's I was going to be having after my order was placed. The "VP" who calls to try to get you to wipe negative reviews is well aware of the problems with these employees. I can only assume that such behavior is not only acceptable but encouraged and that is why my browser will never touch their website again. I don't care if they are selling a $12,000 tv for $0.01 with free overnight shipping.

-Justin (external link)

sixteenbits
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2010 13:54 |  #66

Here's my Abe's Experience.

I just spent $4300 with them, purchasing a 5DM2 which came with a free 16gb CF card, a 35mm 1.4L, an extra Canon battery, and an extra CF card. I also purchased a Hoya UV filter.

Got a call the next morning. The message said they "had a problem with their servers" and that I should call them asap. I called back and the rep explained, again, there was a "server" issue and that he had to confirm my address, which I did. Then he proceeded to upsell me. First was a "better" battery than the Canon, which I declined. Then a filter pack. I declined. Then insurance. I declined. He seemed annoyed and curtly said bye.

But then I realized I didn't really want the UV filter and that there was a much better deal for a B+W MRC at B&H. So I called the same customer service rep back 5 minutes later. I told him to cancel the filter. He said, "Oh....uh....things move really fast around here....really sorry.....it's too late."

Whatever.

Funny thing is, later that day, I got a call from a different rep in billing. My credit card has an automatic online fraud prevention, so the payment hadn't yet gone through. This lady told me I needed to call my credit card to approve the sale before they could ship the camera. I said, "has it already been sent?" She said, "of course not." Great! So I asked her remove the UV filter before I called my CC company. I told her to send me a new invoice with the discounted price. She sent me the new invoice, so I called my CC and approved the charge.

To Abe's credit, I have to admit they were very nice about a $15 coupon I had. I originally had it on my account, but then in the CC approval mixup it got taken off. I noticed a couple days later. I called back and talked to a really nice guy in billing who gave me the credit retroactively. I got an email about a week later saying the credit had been processed and applied to my card.

I just received the UPS-delivered package the other day. It makes me a little nervous because the package was banged up a bit. When I picked it up, things were loose and slid around inside. When I opened the box, there was no safety packaging. There were a few of those plastic air bubbles, but they were all fully deflated. The 5D box had a big crease in it. Neither the 5D nor the lens box were sealed, but I'm not sure if they come that way (seen some at Samy's new that didn't look sealed). The camera itself didn't looked sealed or have any protective factory stuff on it, like those little plastic stickies that go over new LCD screens. I wondered if the camera had been opened before. I checked all the serial numbers to the box and they matched. I watched some 5D unboxing videos on Youtube to see what other people's looked like out of the box. They looked similar, in terms of how the camera comes packaged. But to be honest, from the look of everything I was beginning to get worried I got a returned or refurbished camera. It was sketchy, to say the least.

I just got off the phone with them. Long hold time, but the rep I talked to was very nice. I explained to him how the camera was packaged, and that after spending 4 grand+ on precision equipment I was a little worried seeing it like that. He totally understood and went off to check some stuff. He then sent me an email and explained to me - try out the camera, check it all out, if you have any problems whatsoever write or call me back and we'll get a UPS damage claim filed for you, and I'll have them come pick up the camera immediately and we'll get you a new one.

I said thanks, and then I saw this thread and posted this. So that's where I am with Abe's.

Best price....without being suspiciously low.
Ideal freebie with the 16gb card
Upsell was annoying
Salespeople were really nice. FAR nicer and polite than Adorama.
Packaging sucked. Made me worried.

We'll see what happens next. I'm going to try out the camera, and hopefully - no issues.
Not too worried because my credit card has really great buyer's insurance too.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 14, 2010 14:50 |  #67

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

sixteenbits wrote in post #9393090 (external link)
.......Salespeople were really nice. FAR nicer and polite than Adorama.

I was really very concerned to read your post; I have little experience of other vendors - and even if I did it wouldn't be my place to comment. However, I would like to offer a deep and sincere apology for any inconvenience that may have been caused when you received less than stellar service from any of our staff at Adorama.

Please email me directly with any details you can recall; it will be given my immediate attention and I can assure you that it will be dealt with appropriately.

Again, my apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you.

md-va
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 16, 2010 13:32 |  #68

sixteenbits wrote in post #9393090 (external link)
Here's my Abe's Experience.
... Upsell was annoying ...

Just made my first purchase from these guys this week. Got an email from them asking me to call my personal representative. He wanted to verify my shipping address (OK no problem there). But then the upsell started. Trying to sell me a filter, warranty, etc.). Every time I said no, he would discount the price further. It was pretty annoying.

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 16, 2010 13:43 as a reply to  @ post 8917568 |  #69

I ordered a Sigma 150-500 from Abe's yesterday afternoon. About an hour later I received a call "verifying" my order and recommending a couple of filters at reduced pricing. I told the rep I was already covered on the filters and declined his offer. No issue with being pressured though. Seems like a smooth trasaction at this point.

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 28, 2010 13:50 |  #70

bruceq wrote in post #9621200 (external link)
I ordered a Sigma 150-500 from Abe's yesterday afternoon. About an hour later I received a call "verifying" my order and recommending a couple of filters at reduced pricing. I told the rep I was already covered on the filters and declined his offer. No issue with being pressured though. Seems like a smooth trasaction at this point.

My exact situation with them only minutes ago. It appears they are good to order from as long as you don't accept the up sell and change your mind later.

aubsxc
210 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2010 06:04 |  #71

Looking at their reseller ratings history, it seems Abe's Of Maine has come a long way in the last 15 years, from when they used to be just another scumbag bait-and-switch dealer. I think most of these resellers have figured out that honesty really is the best policy especially in this day and age, and have adopted the business models of the best stores like B&H and Adorama where they make money by selling goods instead of scamming people for "made-in-Japan" lenses and batteries which are much better than the "Taiwanese lenses and batteries".

---
5DII/BG-E6, 1V-HS, 17-40/4L, 24-105/4L IS, 28-105/3.5-4.5USM, 70-200/2.8L IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5USM, 300/4L IS, 1.4x II TC , 50/1.4, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,852 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2010 11:33 as a reply to  @ aubsxc's post |  #72

I bought a Sigma 70-200 when they were 10% off a couple weeks ago. Got the phone call. Guy was pleasant. He offered the filters, I wiggled a little, next thing I know he dropped the price of the filter package to $100 and upgraded my shipping to overnight.

I'd order from them again.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,852 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2010 11:14 |  #73

Forgot to mention they will wear your Inbox out. I think I get 5-6 emails form them per week. Gets somehwat old after the first few times since you get the same couple emails over and over.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

Tim ­ Kostka
342 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 04, 2010 14:19 |  #74

huntersdad wrote in post #9713773 (external link)
Forgot to mention they will wear your Inbox out. I think I get 5-6 emails form them per week. Gets somehwat old after the first few times since you get the same couple emails over and over.

I've never gotten a single email from them, apart from order confirmations, shipping notifications, and a request to review the items. I'm sure you can opt out.

Zenfolio (external link) | Picasa Web (external link)
Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-105mm L | EF-S 10-22mm | EF-S 18-135mm | Sigma 50-500mm | 580EX II | Feisol CT-3441SB Tripod

xcentrk
47 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2010 15:30 |  #75

Wow, I am surprised to read this thread. I purchased from them twice (Sigma 50 1.4 and some memory cards IIRC) and have never received a call or anything either time. Items shipped right away. Looks like I have lucked out both times!

I agree with the massive email amounts tho, but as stated above, just opt out if you don't want them.

Brandon.

sponsored links

7,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
How Is Abe's of Maine?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.