Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Learning LR

LLBNY
921 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 24, 2009 19:25 |  #1

I am just learning how to use LR with so far some mixed results.
One of my typical exercises is to fix some vacation pictures similar to (A) where the sky is overexposed and the ground is almost ok.
I was able to create 2 pictures from the original and I could merge them in Photoshop to create a descent image, but I was wondering if there is a way to do this directly in LR.
At this point, after a lot of tests I couldn’t find a way. I must say that by ‘playing’ with the setup and various sliders, I created some very ugly , but very colorful pictures.
So if someone could direct me in one good direction, I will appreciate.
Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bugslou/collect​ions/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 24, 2009 21:24 |  #2

Using the Basic sliders you look for a balance of those two, maybe lowering the exposure a bit and then the Recovery slider to bring down the highlights more and the Fill tool to brighten the foreground a bit, and mess with contrast, Clarity and vibrance. Use the Tone panel to further tweak the various tone ranges. Then, try the HSL panel to up the saturation of the blues for the sky.

But, with some care, you can also use the tonal adjustment tools to brush the sky with a lower exposure and some contrast and saturation, and brush the buildings to suit your taste. When you get close to the edges of the buildings, you can decrease the size and settings of the brush and enlarge the view to do finer work. Try to read up on how to work with these brushes -- if you keep the original brush selected, you can keep effects from overlapping and can add and erase from the original brush. If you start a New brush you can apply new effects -- just try not to overlap with the others in undesireable ways.

In effect, these brushes can act like layers in Photoshop -- each brush (or gradient) acts like its own layer and can be selected and adjusted at will or deleted, and of course are preserved through sessions and in the History like all Raw adjustments.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

scottda
462 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 24, 2009 21:28 |  #3

Use the adjustment brush, right above the Basic tab, in the develop module to select the sky and reduce the exposure and/or brightness. This assumes you are using LR 2.0 or later. LR 1.x doesn't have the adjustment brush.

Scott

flickr (external link)
Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

LLBNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
921 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 25, 2009 12:16 |  #4

That's a very good directiion!
Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bugslou/collect​ions/ (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 25, 2009 12:55 |  #5

Invest in the book " the Adobe Photohop LIGHTROOM2 book for digital Photographers " by Scott Kelby. I would honesty be lost without it.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Learning LR
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.