Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 23 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 VC, Sigma 17-70 OS Comparison Pictures.

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 25, 2009 11:26 |  #136

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9261357 (external link)
If folks dont mind using an external flash indoors im sure the 15-85mm can take some very nice captures. Im also fairly confident the 15-85mm is a much better built lens then the Tamron 17-50 VC.  :p

That's a good point about the flash. I am so happy with my 15-85 + Sigma flash that I am starting to seriously regret my Sigma 30mm purchase. I don't know if it is (a) my lack of skills shooting at large apertures (b) a Sigma focusing issue or (c) lack of IS on the Sigma, but my indoor shots with my 15-85 are so much better with the Canon. I wish the weather here wasn't so bad or I would try some wide open long distance shots with the 15-85 to see how the crops look. All of my long shots are at f/8 - f/14 and the crops are pretty sharp in all corners and the center, but that should be expected from any lens.

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

sponsored links
CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 25, 2009 12:05 |  #137

[If you're primarily outside doing your shooting, The 15-85 is the better tool, unless you're working at night [In which case id go with a prime instead..]
If folks dont mind using an external flash indoors im sure the 15-85mm can take some very nice captures. Im also fairly confident the 15-85mm is a much better built lens then the Tamron 17-50 VC. :p

Personally i have alot of patience and will wait another few months for more independent reviews by actual member owners along with a few of the more reputable testing sites.

Regards, :D

Why are you so sure ? :p

Hi

SpartanWarrior
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 25, 2009 12:12 |  #138

[One thing for sure IMO the new Sigma 17-70 OS is definitely off my wish list unless SpartanWarrior had a bad copy used in these tests.

I am 99.9% absolutely positive the sigma was a bad copy, I will get another after new years;)

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

artyH
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 25, 2009 12:55 |  #139

DaveSt wrote in post #9261558 (external link)
That's a good point about the flash. I am so happy with my 15-85 + Sigma flash that I am starting to seriously regret my Sigma 30mm purchase. I don't know if it is (a) my lack of skills shooting at large apertures (b) a Sigma focusing issue or (c) lack of IS on the Sigma, but my indoor shots with my 15-85 are so much better with the Canon. I wish the weather here wasn't so bad or I would try some wide open long distance shots with the 15-85 to see how the crops look. All of my long shots are at f/8 - f/14 and the crops are pretty sharp in all corners and the center, but that should be expected from any lens.

Try shooting the Sigma at f2 and see if that helps. You should be able to get good shots, if your shutter speed is high enough - say 1/50 or 1/60. You may need a high ISO.

SpartanWarrior
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 25, 2009 13:07 |  #140

DaveSt wrote in post #9261558 (external link)

No don't regret it, I love mine and when I bought it it needed to be calibrated but once it was it is tack sharp, very very good lens;)

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,415 posts
Gallery: 596 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 25, 2009 23:57 as a reply to  @ SpartanWarrior's post |  #141

I'd have a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if its MFD didnt stink :( I love MFD too much

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 26, 2009 00:26 |  #142

CountryBoy wrote in post #9261645 (external link)
Why are you so sure ? :p

Your right ! Since it is human nature for new owners of the Canon to be a little bias i shouldnt be basing my opinions on a few hundred happy owners of the 15-85mm ive read reports from ! :p

I quess im simply basing my confidence opinion on the build quality of the Canon from posts of owners on various forums of both lenses. Quite a few folks have purchased the new Tamron VC first, returned it without opting for an exchange & bought the Canon. Also the reports of the new 15-85mm having an updated IS mechanism versus the 17-55mm that is known for a % of failures. The current return rate of the new Tamron VC version which may not have nothing to do with build quality but engineering design, QC on the production line, or both could possibly be the culprit for the higher then normal return & exchange rate of the new VC version. I could be mistaken but personally i havent heard of too many folks returning the Canon for front or rear focusing issues, lens to body contact errors, erratic behavior when the IS kicks in, etc. versus the new Tamron VC.

I am a patient buyer versus an impulsive type and after all the smoke clears my decision hopefully wont come down to a coin-toss ! :lol:

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

Redbird_xo
542 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 26, 2009 03:52 |  #143

To OP, thanks for doing all this work.

The Sigma photo clearly shows that the focus is on the railing of the balcony. I believe this is also the reason why the photo appears to be overexposed (your 7D thought the railing and the immediate background is THE SUBJECT).

Newer Sigma lenses are generally good if focus is accurate, unfortunately.

SpartanWarrior wrote in post #9252964 (external link)
Ok all three at 17mm f/3.5 it was really cloudy and hazy also but the sigma is the worst of all for crying out loud, and Tamron the best
Tamron
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …arriors/tamron1​7mmf35.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …Warriors/canon1​7mmf35.jpg (external link)

Sigma

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …Warriors/sigma1​7mmf35.jpg (external link)

Tamron crop center

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …ors/tamron17mmf​35crop.jpg (external link)

Canon crop center

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …iors/canon17mmf​35crop.jpg (external link)

Sigma crop center

http://i181.photobucke​t.com …iors/sigma17mmf​35crop.jpg (external link)

left and right crops in next post.

Redbird_xo
542 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 26, 2009 04:00 |  #144

Continuing on my previous post...

According to OP, these photos were taken with center focus point on the pole. Based on that fact, these photos show how good the tamron (OP's copy) is focusing.

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 26, 2009 09:16 |  #145

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9264133 (external link)
Your right ! Since it is human nature for new owners of the Canon to be a little bias i shouldnt be basing my opinions on a few hundred happy owners of the 15-85mm ive read reports from ! :p

I quess im simply basing my confidence opinion on the build quality of the Canon from posts of owners on various forums of both lenses. Quite a few folks have purchased the new Tamron VC first, returned it without opting for an exchange & bought the Canon. Also the reports of the new 15-85mm having an updated IS mechanism versus the 17-55mm that is known for a % of failures. The current return rate of the new Tamron VC version which may not have nothing to do with build quality but engineering design, QC on the production line, or both could possibly be the culprit for the higher then normal return & exchange rate of the new VC version. I could be mistaken but personally i havent heard of too many folks returning the Canon for front or rear focusing issues, lens to body contact errors, erratic behavior when the IS kicks in, etc. versus the new Tamron VC.

I am a patient buyer versus an impulsive type and after all the smoke clears my decision hopefully wont come down to a coin-toss ! :lol:

The thing is , when I did a google on the Tamron , I found more people liking the Tamron then not liking it. There was a couple that talked about contact errors, but most of the ones dishing it came from people who had never even used it. I doubt they had even seen one. I did read where some thought it focused faster and the nosie wasn't as bad as the non-vc lens.
While i'm not found of the plastic feel of the non-vc model, I aways thought Tamrons plastic was just as good as Canons plastic :D.

Hi

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,406 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 26, 2009 11:39 |  #146

Im also fairly confident the 15-85mm is a much better built lens then the Tamron 17-50 VC.  :p

are any of the EF-S lenses really built well?...i know some may be built better than others...i have no experience with tamron lenses, but the sigma, and tokina i have are built like tanks compared to the EF-S's i've used

also where are you finding all these people that are dissatisfied with their tamron...i feel like this is the first hands on i've really seen with the lens...i'm still surprised how quickly the sigma was available after being announced

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,305 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 26, 2009 11:50 |  #147

DreDaze wrote in post #9265635 (external link)
are any of the EF-S lenses really built well?

The EF-S 15-85 is really built well. (probably the best EF-S lens to date)

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

DaveSt
407 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 26, 2009 12:58 |  #148

msowsun wrote in post #9265669 (external link)

I agree with you Mike. The 15-85 has a much nicer build than any other EF-S lens I have tried to this point, although I don't really have much of a complaint about them in general. I also think the EF-S 60 has a pretty decent build.

Dave

[30D] [Sigma 30 f/1.4] [50 f/1.8] [EF-S 60] [EF-S 15-85IS] [EF-S 55-250IS] [Sigma EF-500 DG Super]

eg6turbo
388 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 26, 2009 15:24 |  #149

DaveSt wrote in post #9265977 (external link)
I agree with you Mike. The 15-85 has a much nicer build than any other EF-S lens I have tried to this point, although I don't really have much of a complaint about them in general. I also think the EF-S 60 has a pretty decent build.

+1 15-85 has a nice weighty feel to it..everything is nice and tight just like a nice asian chick lol...but nothing like a 24-70 :drool:

| Canon Rebel T2i Gripped | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 50 1.8 MK II | EF 85 1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II |

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 26, 2009 15:48 |  #150

msowsun wrote in post #9265669 (external link)

Agreed. And I among countless others own the 10-22, another fantastically built EF-S lens.

If you must know...

sponsored links

211,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 VC, Sigma 17-70 OS Comparison Pictures.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.