Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Dec 2009 (Friday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1st timer to Hawaii

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 25, 2009 02:31 |  #1

Folks, not only is this our first trip to Hawaii (me and wife), but its also my first real vacation....ever. We are wanting to spend a week there. I have researched a little and my head is spinning. We are going sometime in March.

What island is best for Photography, but the wife will actually enjoy as well? She's not into photography or hiking, but we are taking her sister and niece, so if they are entertained I can occasionally slip away for a hike or two during the trip. Any must see attractions? I am not sure we want to hop the islands, its supposed to be relaxing....I even briefly thought about leaving the camera at home. But then I thought....its vacation and I find photography very relaxing and enjoyable....so....

Also, I am sorta stuck on which gear to take. And what shoulder bag to get that can double as a carry-on.

Here is my gear:
5DII
40D
1DmkIV if it arrives by March
600 f/4 IS
70-200 f/2.8 IS
85L II
50 1.4
100 macro
16-35mkII
Sigma 50-500
28-135
580II flash
mt-24ex twin flash
1.4 extender
2.0 extender

Here is what I was thinking to put in the bag...

5DII unless the mkIV arrives, the 70-200, the 16-35, the 50 1.4, the 100 2.8 macro, the 580 flash, the 1.4 extender, and misc filters and accessories. Would this kit cover most of my needs? I lack a nice walk around zoom. I am not impressed with the 28-135 myself. The 50-500 maybe handy, but is slow and wasn't sure if Hawaii is very overcast or not. The 00 would be fun for birds, but its out of the question. LOL

Also, is a tripod necessary? Or would it be a burden to carry around? I don't have one that collapses to carry on size.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

sponsored links
givtu
131 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 25, 2009 21:02 |  #2

If you're thinking about not bringing your camera, think again! I grew up in Hawai'i, and went back this year to visit my old stomping grounds: the garden island of Kaua'i. There's a reason they call it the Garden Island. It's the greenest and prettiest of the islands, but you cant go wrong with any of them! However, if you want to avoid the crowded city, stay away from Oahu (Honolulu). There is so much to photograph in Hawai'i, you won't want to put your camera down. For instance:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Looking over your gear, I would just bring two backs (5d and 40d or 1d), your 600mm, your 70-200, and your 16-35 (for those wide landscape shots) and that will cover pretty much everything for you. On our trip, I used a 24-105 and 70-200 for the entire trip and got plenty of great shots, from dolphins to incredible landsapes.
Oh yeah, forget the tripod and just bring you a monopod. I brought mine and you do so much walking around there that they tend to get a little heavy and cumbersome.

Hawai'i is so beautiful and laid back, you'll be trying to think of reasons to stay there for good. Eat a Loco Moco and a Shave Ice for me and enjoy your trip... and aloha!

2 X Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Sigma 15mm fisheye
www.garvinworks.com (external link)
www.elementimage.com (external link)

montanawild
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 25, 2009 22:52 |  #3

THanks for the advice. I am not taking the 600 though. I have major issues with checked luggage and that 600 f/4 IS. I didn't think about taking the monopod, good idea.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 26, 2009 00:04 |  #4

I've been to Hawaii several times, and my personal favorite is Oahu. I also think most people will disagree with me. A lot of folks choose Kauii (sp?) or Maui as their favorites.

But I like Oahu. If you go there, I suggest the following (pay no mind to spelling):

Hanauma Bay (diving, snorkling)

Maukapu Point (scenery, cliffs)

Waimea Bay (and hiking trail)

North Shore (there might be huge waves in March--probably will be big, but windy)

Waikiki Beach (tons of photo opportunities of people, beach scene and more).

Pearl Harbor (obviously)

Diamond Head

Everywhere basically.

Thank you. bw!

RachelC1184
228 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 26, 2009 06:09 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #5

I recently got to spend a few days in Hawaii while waiting for a flight back to Guam. It was my first time there for any length of time (A couple of 1 hour layovers are all I'd seen before). We were in O'ahu and I LOVED it. My husband spent a few months staitioned in Maui in 2006 and he said Maui is better that O'ahu from his point because there are less tourists. If you go to O'ahu make sure to visit Pearl Harbor as previously mentioned, the North Shore had killer waves when we were there and TONS of surfers (which happen to be my FAV), and for your wife, there was even the Dole Pineapple orchard I guess is what it is. But you can do a tour and it seemed pretty cool. We didn't get the chance to do it but it looked cool. The Hilton Garden Inn in Waikiki has Penguins and Flamingos that you can go see. (They aren't behind glass so you can get awesome pics of them)...Plus yea, penguins in Hawaii, how cool is that!!! Enjoy! Oh and BRING THE CAMERA! You won't regret it!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 26, 2009 08:55 |  #6

Another thing I recommend: Rent a jeep. It'll cost you more, but is so worth it. Hawaii in a convertible is the way to go. Last time I was there my wife rented a convertible and we never put the top up (except for rain). You'll be in the car a good bit, so make it a convertible.

Thank you. bw!

RachelC1184
228 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 26, 2009 18:01 |  #7

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #9265063 (external link)
Another thing I recommend: Rent a jeep. It'll cost you more, but is so worth it. Hawaii in a convertible is the way to go. Last time I was there my wife rented a convertible and we never put the top up (except for rain). You'll be in the car a good bit, so make it a convertible.

Ooh, yea ^^ +1 on that! I wish we had gotten a jeep!

givtu
131 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 26, 2009 20:11 as a reply to  @ RachelC1184's post |  #8

Here, in case you have any reservations about taking your camera again, are some photos I took this year on Kaua'i:
http://www.garvinworks​.com/images/potn/slide​show (external link)
(might take a minute to load)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

2 X Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Sigma 15mm fisheye
www.garvinworks.com (external link)
www.elementimage.com (external link)

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 28, 2009 19:09 as a reply to  @ givtu's post |  #9

Hawaii is a favorite of my wife and I. Done the Oauhu and Maui and enjoyed the weather and scenery but not the crowds! American Tourister with everything justaimed at gettign your buck, would almost be as worthwhile in Disneyland.
Favorites are Kaui and Kona Coast on the Big Island.
Save some money and go to Vacation Rental by Owner VRBO.com and rent a condo direct from the owner! Could save you up to 50% per night and get you a full service place to stay. Good locations available.
Get the Jeep or any other convertible, and the best places to go are the areas that the rental company says you cannot take the vehicle (Jeep definitley)
Depending on what you want to shoot and the size of your bag, one multipurpose body, largest portable zoom, widest lens, and a walkaround. Monopod, and if doing alot of sunsets, the tripod. Filters, when you are out whale watching your will want a polarizer. Lend some more distance to your zoom and bring a 1.4 or 2X.
Can you be a little more specific on what you want to see or shot?
Enjoy!

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

sponsored links

1,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
1st timer to Hawaii
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.