Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Dec 2009 (Saturday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

300mm f2.8L AF Trouble

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 26, 2009 20:33 |  #16

Fathom_this wrote in post #9267706 (external link)
Yes, it is on. It records images and works fine with the lens in MF. Just nothing with the AF.

alrighty.. not being a jerk just had to ask..

David W.

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 26, 2009 20:34 |  #17

DDCSD wrote in post #9267717 (external link)
Try pushing the AF-on and * button to focus. The previous owner of your MkIII may have had focus removed from the shutter button.

If that doesn't work, try to reset the MkIII to factory defaults.

didnt even think of that!!! very good point..

David W.

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2009 20:45 |  #18

Try pushing the AF-on and * button to focus. The previous owner of your MkIII may have had focus removed from the shutter button.

That's the first thing I would, better yet do a hard reset by pulling both batteries for a minute or so. This should clear the volatile memory which can become corrupted.

There are a lot of custom functions in that cam, it's complicated. Sounds like a setting issue. Also check the firmware version.
Contacts can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, but don't allow any to get inside the cam.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 26, 2009 20:46 |  #19

canonnoob wrote in post #9267723 (external link)
didnt even think of that!!! very good point..

I had the exact opposite happen to me. I switched my AF back to the shutter button (I always use the * button) the other day so my family could use my camera. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to AF when I finally went to use it!

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 26, 2009 20:47 |  #20

Isn't there an AF stop switch or something on that lens as well that corresponds with a Cfn?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Fathom_this
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2009 20:48 |  #21

Alright, now we are getting somewhere. After resetting to default, the AF does move when depressing the shutter half-way. I think all is normal now.

Thank you both for taking some time to help the rookie.

Joel
EOS 1d Mk III | EOS XSi | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 MkI(metal mount) | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |1.4x TC II | monopod, tripod, and filters

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 26, 2009 20:56 |  #22

Fathom_this wrote in post #9267775 (external link)
Alright, now we are getting somewhere. After resetting to default, the AF does move when depressing the shutter half-way. I think all is normal now.

Thank you both for taking some time to help the rookie.

Glad all is well. Nothing like having $6,500+ worth of camera gear that isn't working right to get the heart rate up to dangerous levels. :lol:

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 26, 2009 21:20 |  #23

I'm also using 300/2.8 and what I found is that when I click the shutter button half on my 40D/7D with 300/2.8 mounted, the Lens motor keeps on spurring and I don't feel that IS is working properly. I checked it on 100-400 lens and as soon as IS and focus is fixed, motors stops rotating. Can any one advise me on this behaviour of the lens.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

Fathom_this
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2009 21:28 |  #24

DDCSD wrote in post #9267818 (external link)
Glad all is well. Nothing like having $6,500+ worth of camera gear that isn't working right to get the heart rate up to dangerous levels. :lol:

Exactly. The book doesn't really help much on that type of issue either. Just a bit of trial and error and some help from those in the know.

Thanks again.

Joel
EOS 1d Mk III | EOS XSi | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 MkI(metal mount) | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |1.4x TC II | monopod, tripod, and filters

sponsored links

1,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
300mm f2.8L AF Trouble
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.