Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 20 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remote Camera at the Soccer match

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 23, 2009 15:30 |  #31

mike,

Thanks for the set up. I appreciate it. I am looking to do something like this next season.

David W.

sponsored links
sheeum
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 23, 2009 16:12 |  #32

hooookup wrote in post #9251307 (external link)
My friend Robert Benson made a remote trigger that works at distances up to 20 miles. Check it out.
http://robertbenson.co​m …nel-radio-camera-trigger/ (external link)

woow, bookmarked! Might have to get this when I have 2 cameras and a reason for a remote.

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2009 16:18 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #33

Very creative base plate design. I really like the tent stake idea.

ChefDave wrote in post #9240772 (external link)
If you raise your receiver higher off the ground you will get better reception. The ground will cause interference. I ofter hang a pocket wizard off the side of the net and it will trigger 3/4 of the field length.

This was going to be my comment to add as well. Even PW's with their very long range do not very well work close to the ground. I found this out like you did after getting home only to find that my shots from any distance did not trigger. I bought one of these and added it to my base plate to get the PW up in the air a bit and it worked like a champ. Was able to trigger from the opposite end zone.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …etails&Q=&sku=5​359&is=REG (external link)

I also bought this for a convenient way to hold the PW vertically.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=132​421&is=REG (external link)

Since buying it, I have found the extension arm to be extremely useful for lots of things. The 3/8" on one end and 1/4" threads on the other make it a great addition to super clamp and magic arm applications.

Regarding one of the other posts, PW Plus II and Multimax's do support burst shooting.

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #9241071 (external link)
This is strange (that you guys are struggling with distance). Most remote control airplanes (the kind that start at about 150 bucks) can get a half mile of range from the transmitter to the receiver.

That is because they are in the air and have no interference from the ground or things on the ground. Set your plane on the ground near a soccer goal and football goal post and go to the other end of the field and I bet nothing will work. They also are using different types of transmitters and I believe even a different frequency range which makes it like comparing apples to radial tires.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2009 16:21 |  #34

hooookup wrote in post #9251307 (external link)
My friend Robert Benson made a remote trigger that works at distances up to 20 miles. Check it out.
http://robertbenson.co​m …nel-radio-camera-trigger/ (external link)

I saw that when he posted about it on Sportsshooter and thought it would be cool to try for a televised event. Set up your camera before the game then go to the bar across the street, eat wings, drink beer and trigger away as you watched the game on the tube.

Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 23, 2009 17:35 |  #35

Big K wrote in post #9253140 (external link)
Very creative base plate design. I really like the tent stake idea.

This was going to be my comment to add as well. Even PW's with their very long range do not very well work close to the ground. I found this out like you did after getting home only to find that my shots from any distance did not trigger. I bought one of these and added it to my base plate to get the PW up in the air a bit and it worked like a champ. Was able to trigger from the opposite end zone.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …etails&Q=&sku=5​359&is=REG (external link)

Kevin, are you concerned at all, for safety reasons, with having a solid pole sticking up like that?

I was wondering if something like this would be a better idea?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Heavy_Duty_Fle​x_Arm.html (external link)

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I just worry about having a pole sticking up that someone could be impaled with. :shock:

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

hooookup
942 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 23, 2009 17:50 |  #36

Big K wrote in post #9253153 (external link)
I saw that when he posted about it on Sportsshooter and thought it would be cool to try for a televised event. Set up your camera before the game then go to the bar across the street, eat wings, drink beer and trigger away as you watched the game on the tube.

The guy that invented that sucker is sitting next to me in the photo work room at Qualcomm Stadium

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2009 18:10 |  #37

hooookup wrote in post #9253578 (external link)
The guy that invented that sucker is sitting next to me in the photo work room at Qualcomm Stadium

Tell him if he ever tries the shoot from the bar idea to have a beer for me while doing it. :-)

Gear List

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2009 18:32 |  #38

DDCSD wrote in post #9253495 (external link)
Kevin, are you concerned at all, for safety reasons, with having a solid pole sticking up like that?

I was wondering if something like this would be a better idea?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Heavy_Duty_Fle​x_Arm.html (external link)

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I just worry about having a pole sticking up that someone could be impaled with. :shock:

Not any more worried than having someone land face first on the hot shoe of a camera, a strobe blowing a bulb and spraying glass on the crowd, me losing control of a 400 f/2.8 from on top of the press box and it falling 50 feet into the concession stand line or any other type of potential freak accident. If it were anywhere near the playing field, I might be more concerned but behind a soccer net or 15 yards out the back of the end zone, I don't really worry any more than I normally do.

I first saw that setup from a guy who covers major Euro soccer so if it passes that level of scrutiny I feel somewhat more comfortable.

However, I had not seen the heavy duty flex arm before and it is now on my ridiculously long B&H wish list.

Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 23, 2009 19:58 |  #39

Well, the weather has gone to pot! First rain and now, the cold is right behind it. I doubt if it will snow. That doesn't happen very often. My intention is to test out the Skyports at a local park where there are a bunch of soccer fields, but that is on hold. If I get a chance I will try the remote thing again next week at a high school basketball tournament.
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 23, 2009 20:25 |  #40

Big K wrote in post #9253768 (external link)
Not any more worried than having someone land face first on the hot shoe of a camera, a strobe blowing a bulb and spraying glass on the crowd, me losing control of a 400 f/2.8 from on top of the press box and it falling 50 feet into the concession stand line or any other type of potential freak accident. If it were anywhere near the playing field, I might be more concerned but behind a soccer net or 15 yards out the back of the end zone, I don't really worry any more than I normally do.

I first saw that setup from a guy who covers major Euro soccer so if it passes that level of scrutiny I feel somewhat more comfortable.

However, I had not seen the heavy duty flex arm before and it is now on my ridiculously long B&H wish list.

Yeah, I'm probably over-thinking it. Not like soccer players end up behind the net very often. :lol:

I've had those flex arms on my list for a while. Isn't it amazing how many neat toys that they have for us photographers!?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 24, 2009 12:20 |  #41

DDCSD wrote in post #9254256 (external link)
I've had those flex arms on my list for a while. Isn't it amazing how many neat toys that they have for us photographers!?

I know, it is crazy all the gadgets and gizmos that are available. I am such a sucker for that stuff too. Have a good Christmas.

Gear List

JustinL
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 27, 2009 09:49 |  #42

Genious to make the stand out of a cutting board since it already has a handle. It'd be more genious to replace that cutting board before your wife found out!

My Site (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 27, 2009 13:25 |  #43

Justin, I have to admit, I bought that board at Wally world. I didn't ride into town on a load of watermelons! :-)

Last time I made her mad, I didn't see her for three days! Then my left eye started to open just a wee bit!

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 27, 2009 14:18 |  #44

:lol:

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 28, 2009 01:12 |  #45

There are definitely restrictions at times when you can be behind the goal, especially during penalty kicks. However, whenever I do this I always try to be behind the net myself since it adds the advantage of being able to poke the lens through the net and be able to pull it back in if I see a ball coming my way. Clear it with the officials of course. However, a remote is good for the situations where you have officials who won't let you do it at all.

An example of my shot of doing this manually through the net rather than use a remote:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I always find the net in the way of the lens too distracting :)

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

sponsored links

12,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Remote Camera at the Soccer match
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.