Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2009 (Monday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Video: Tried replacing my 30D shutter ass'y...

motleypixel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 28, 2009 14:31 |  #1

FAIL!

YouTube - FAIL: Replacing Shutter on Canon EOS 30D (external link)

LOL, had to share this with you all...success or not, it was going to be published. Friends said that I should have used a near-by 2lb sledge hammer to finish the job :lol:

-Roy

Minolta Rokkor and Canon can live together in harmony. (external link)http://vimeo.com/14891​384 (external link)

sponsored links
hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2009 14:43 |  #2

Hey nice try.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 28, 2009 14:45 |  #3

What will you do with the camera now?

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

motleypixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:10 |  #4

I'll probably have one more go at it and see what happens. If it doesn't work the second time I suppose sell it for spare parts.

-Roy

Minolta Rokkor and Canon can live together in harmony. (external link)http://vimeo.com/14891​384 (external link)

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:15 |  #5

can't see anything at work, here, but what's the failure?

10 Most overpaid job (external link)

haknslash
425 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:15 |  #6

Thanks for posting even if you had a failure in execution. I think, wait.....I know if this ever happens to me I'll be sending it to Canon for a repair. I can solder just fine but somehow I think my luck would end up just like yours did. Kudos for giving it the effort though!

7D | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 L | 430EX II

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:30 |  #7

I wouldn't have been able to put it back together, let alone solider the contacts. Kudos to you.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

l330n
260 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:41 |  #8

Sucks. Goo try though, i would never attempted anything like that. How cool would it have been if it worked though!

motleypixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 28, 2009 15:59 |  #9

Well I hope it shows how tedious of a job this can be. Honestly, for the amount I had to disassemble I think $300 for the parts and time is well worth it. It was interesting to find that to remove the shutter took twice the time to just have to remove the sensor. I also know now if I ever bend pins on the CF seat that I would repair myself (easy job maybe 1 hour of work to remove that module).

Thanks,
Roy

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 28, 2009 16:20 |  #10

You did well as far as motivation, but your technique was lacking. The shutter assembly may be good; maybe it was one of the control circuits that failed.
Wonder if that loose screw had something to do with the failure?
I've replaced LCDs ok without the shop manual, but for something like this you really need one.

You really need to observe safe ESD handling procedures if you work on these. No ESD strap, or mat, and solder iron needs to be ESD safe and temp controlled one is best.
Bare wood is better than cloth, but a properly grounded ESD mat is what's needed.
Those non ESD bags can generate thousands of volts of static, enough to destroy the main or satellite PCBs and LCD displays; they shouldn't be near the disassembled cam.

Still a fun vid, and it looks like it's not worse than before. Too bad that didn't cure it.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

carronade
52 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 28, 2009 16:39 |  #11

Good try.
Shame it did not work.
If I had done that ,I would have enough parts left out to make another camera.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 28, 2009 17:42 |  #12

The disappointment in your voice at the end is so sad, haha

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

motleypixel
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 28, 2009 18:00 |  #13

Thanks for all the comments.

@blackhawk: Very true about ESD and I'm well trained at it...in my case I had a large nail in the ground socket of one of the power-strip sockets and I tried to touch once every 5 mins. or so just so I was mostly grounded. I lost an old wrist strap that used to plug into the ground. The best IC/Soldering/CKT board training I ever had was on Ford Island (Pearl Harbor) in Electronics Technicians Maintenance School for Reactor Operators. It was the best 6 month shore duty of the 6 years I served the USN as a Nuclear Reactor Operator on a Fast Attack Sub (USS Columbus SSN 762).

The shutter doesn't have any IC's it was the IP/OP CKT boards where I tried the best I could to ground myself. I've got a feeling it's a pwr issue, so when I get time I plan to hook up an external P/S and place my fluke in-series and measure current to see what happens.

For now, I think it's time to sell my Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and buy a good used 5D MkI.

-Roy

pepperoni
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 28, 2009 18:06 as a reply to  @ motleypixel's post |  #14

Sucks that it didn't work.
I'm diggin' Ratt in the background. :)

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 28, 2009 18:14 |  #15

Roy,

Great try. I can honestly say that you have made me gain a new found appreciation for Canon and how inexpensively they can replace my shutter assembly. Thanks man!

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

sponsored links

4,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video: Tried replacing my 30D shutter ass'y...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.