Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Dec 2009 (Sunday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BHphotovideo stealing canon rebates

this thread is locked
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 29, 2009 08:59 |  #151

Jeezz I am just betting you had a really happy christmas ;-)a

iluvslr wrote in post #9280142 (external link)
Thanks for chiming in Henry. I read through all your responses and no where I could find the reasoning for price increase of items involving instant rebates

Since you are aware of the issue pretty well by now, with all respect would you mind answering the following questions?

1. Can you explain why the pre-rebate combo price is more than individual components? FYI, both are IDENTICAL products.

2.Why this price increase for combo deals do not happen with non-instant rebate combos?

3.Why BH is forcing the higher priced combo for applying the rebates ? Please take note that we are talking about Identical items

Following facts may help you with the answers:

1. This rebate started on Nov 29, 2009, so if there was any system glitch, you had ample time to fix it.
2. As per canon's requirement, no seperate sku is necessary for combo deals - Proof: Amazon offers the rebate with individual skus just by adding the camera and lens to cart.
3. As per Helen Olster from adorama, both BH and adorama's inventory system uses % for calculating the rebate and they were able to fix it on the fly and now they are offering rebate from canon without taking any cuts
4. Though canon has MAP requirements, still matching the price to individual components is possible. Proof: Adorama and Amazon
5. As per canon, having the camera and lens in the same invoice qualifies for rebate. Proof: Amazon.com

As to my usage of word "stealing", what else can you say about the store which increases the price specifically for the products with instant rebates? Charity?????

Actually this isn't new for BH, FYI, it happened during 2009 spring rebates as well. When forums were screaming about this, you popped in and claimed canon raised the prices.If you like to know how much your store "pushed" on what

lenses, do a quick search in DPR forum.Off top of my head, I can say ef-s 10-22mm and EF 70-200 f 2.8 IS were "pushed up" to eat the canon instant rebate.

If you still accuse me of lieing, please check your records from May-july,for the date of price increase for these lenses and start date of instant rebate.

Guess what, I still ordered from BH, giving you the benefit of doubt about the canon's price increase on the same day as the rebate started.

But now, BH has gone over the border by having the same products with lesser price and inflating the price if customers want the manufacturer's rebate. It is not even different products, but same identical items.

How can you justify this, Henry ?

Honestly, won't you ask the same question if your car dealer has different prices for identical vehicles and force you to pay the higher price to avail manufacturer's discount?

canon is offering the instant rebate to avoid the problems we had with mail-in rebates. But now we have the same problems again, this time its retailers eating our rebates instead of MIR processing agents.

while I do understand business is about making money, how about some integrity and ethics too? Is it too much for ask for?

Hope you will clarify.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

sponsored links
e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 29, 2009 09:13 |  #152

I don't think the OP's question is that unreasonable, though admittedly, his language and thread title is a bit terse. I feel like this thread is degrading quickly but over the years of buying a variety of products, I haven't seen many "combos" that were higher priced than the individual products. And I've certainly never heard of a "convenience" charge for ordering them together.

Whatever the reason is on the back end (the way systems work, etc), one has to admit it just doesn't feel right that if you buy product X + Y it totals one price, but if you buy them as a combo it totals a higher price. To me, that opposes common sense.

I have ordered from BH, and I think they are good. I've had good customer service and fast shipping. I will order from them again. Same with Adorama. I think at the the end of the day BH is calling it a "convenience" charge and that is their prerogative. I suspect that they eat some part of the rebate and don't want to eat the rebate and give you their regular discounted price (sort of double dipping).

I've said it before but I don't have much love for Canon rebates. I get the sense it isn't a 100% Canon-paid rebate and their lack of transparency is making a mess for everyone.

My 2 cents, and opinion.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

Roy ­ G. ­ Biv
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 29, 2009 09:17 |  #153

sodalis wrote in post #9278448 (external link)
Since you are skeptical of his report, why don't you do us all the favor of explaining exactly why the price difference exists? Unless of course you are too busy cherry picking this thread for posts that you can make snarky replies to...

If you want to set the record straight, simply explain to us why the kit costs more than buying the items individually. Nothing more, nothing less. Your eagerness to jump in on the mud slinging reflects poorly upon you and your company, you could learn a few things about professionalism from a certain other CSR that visits these forums.

Missed one ;)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 29, 2009 09:59 |  #154

runninmann wrote in post #9276854 (external link)
I'd much rather he explain why the combination of the T1i kit plus the 55-250 costs $85.00 more, before the rebate, than buying the kit and the lens separately.

I understand algrebra, but I don't understand that.

Roy G. Biv wrote in post #9282369 (external link)
Missed one ;)

More than one.:rolleyes:

My Gear

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 29, 2009 11:31 |  #155

merlin2375 wrote in post #9282345 (external link)
I don't think the OP's question is that unreasonable, though admittedly, his language and thread title is a bit terse. I feel like this thread is degrading quickly but over the years of buying a variety of products, I haven't seen many "combos" that were higher priced than the individual products. And I've certainly never heard of a "convenience" charge for ordering them together.

Whatever the reason is on the back end (the way systems work, etc), one has to admit it just doesn't feel right that if you buy product X + Y it totals one price, but if you buy them as a combo it totals a higher price. To me, that opposes common sense.

I have ordered from BH, and I think they are good. I've had good customer service and fast shipping. I will order from them again. Same with Adorama. I think at the the end of the day BH is calling it a "convenience" charge and that is their prerogative. I suspect that they eat some part of the rebate and don't want to eat the rebate and give you their regular discounted price (sort of double dipping).

I've said it before but I don't have much love for Canon rebates. I get the sense it isn't a 100% Canon-paid rebate and their lack of transparency is making a mess for everyone.

My 2 cents, and opinion.

Camera gear isn't the only area this takes place in. And Canon/BH aren't the only companies that have had these types of complaints.

I think some of the contention in this thread comes from the fact that the OP did not do business with B&H, at least not where the rebate/combo mentioned is concerned. That's the beauty of the new age, you can compare prices from dozens of reputable companies and purchase from the company you are most comfortable with.

Flickr (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 29, 2009 13:24 |  #156
bannedPermanent ban

K6AZ wrote in post #9283187 (external link)
That's the beauty of the new age, you can compare prices from dozens of reputable companies and purchase from the company you are most comfortable with.

But the REALLY important thing about all this new technology is that you use it to whine pathetically, which is your right as an internet citizen. Not just find the best price and buy from them, that's secondary.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 29, 2009 14:43 |  #157

merlin2375 wrote in post #9282345 (external link)
I don't think the OP's question is that unreasonable, though admittedly, his language and thread title is a bit terse.

Terse? He chose to title this thread, "BHphotovideo stealing canon rebates." That's a bit more than terse IMO.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 29, 2009 14:46 |  #158

henryp wrote in post #9284273 (external link)
Terse? He chose to title this thread, "BHphotovideo stealing canon rebates." That's a bit more than terse IMO.

Fair enough.

It's probably time to let this thread go, points and counterpoints have been made. Life goes on.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 29, 2009 14:46 |  #159
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, the question is then "deliberately inflammatory" or "plain ignonant". (I'm leaning to the latter, to be fair.)

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

Roy ­ G. ­ Biv
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 29, 2009 14:49 |  #160

merlin2375 wrote in post #9284299 (external link)
It's probably time to let this thread go, points and counterpoints have been made.

However, the original question still goes unanswered.

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2009 14:50 |  #161

While the OP title may be terse, I'd like to see the actual substance of the thread resolved. For example, the price discrepancy was never explained.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 29, 2009 14:54 |  #162

Mike55 wrote in post #9284334 (external link)
While the OP title may be terse, I'd like to see the actual substance of the thread resolved. For example, the price discrepancy was never explained.

In spite of numerous requests.

My Gear

Roy ­ G. ­ Biv
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 29, 2009 14:58 |  #163

I'm glad to see Helen jumped right in an fixed her end when this had nothing to do with her.

sodalis
304 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2009 14:59 |  #164

If that's all it takes for you to get bent out of shape you need to consider getting out of customer relations. Irrate customers come with the territory, deal with it. Again, see numerous examples from another CSR on these forums who is excellent at defusing situations and actually providing answers to angry customers.

Frankly, I don't care if the OP is Stalin reborn, it has no bearing on the merits of his original question. A question which you have repeatedly and conveniently failed to answer.

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2009 15:02 |  #165

Roy G. Biv wrote in post #9284376 (external link)
I'm glad to see Helen jumped right in an fixed her end when this had nothing to do with her.

Yes, Helen is amazing. Talk about customer service!

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

sponsored links

13,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
BHphotovideo stealing canon rebates
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.