Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 30 Dec 2009 (Wednesday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ceiling Bounced Speedlights for BB

beacherz
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2009 07:18 |  #1

Wanting to get away from the existing light mode while shooting basketball, I bounced two speedlights off the ceiling. The walls weren't an option. First it was a huge gym and second, the walls were a darker gray. Couldn't get enough light onto the court. So instead, I placed both speedlights together and mounded them to a gas line that went up the wall behind and to the left of the basket. Fired at half output to keep relatively fast recycle times. Shot at 250, f/3.2, ISO 640 using 70-200 2.8. Here are the pics. Any and all CC welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links
Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 30, 2009 08:34 |  #2

First shot looks like it's a soccer match XD

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2009 09:48 |  #3

Adama wrote in post #9288945 (external link)
First shot looks like it's a soccer match XD

You're right...same body language. She is trying to save a ball from going out-of-bounds. Thanks for looking.

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 30, 2009 11:01 |  #4

Next time try using the two lights in different locations to reduce the shadows.

daver22
35 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 30, 2009 12:10 |  #5

That really helped the lighting - I use an 85 1.8 to get BB shots, but have had differing opinions on use of a flash during a game.

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2009 15:14 |  #6

daver22 wrote in post #9290237 (external link)
That really helped the lighting - I use an 85 1.8 to get BB shots, but have had differing opinions on use of a flash during a game.

A couple of AD's told me that the coaches usually don't like flash. Bouncing them off a wall or ceiling, I have had no complaints. Actually, yesterday's game had seven different shooters there and three or four didn't even have the courtesy to refrain from firing off their on camera strobes while the girls were shooting free-throws. That's an easy way to ruin it for everyone. Even the local paper uses a direct flash approx. seven feet high, just off the sideline, between the key and baseline. I don't know - seems like it might be annoying to me. I was also surprised by the number of people taking shots.

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 30, 2009 16:01 |  #7

I hear a whistle coming on #2! My neice plays and watching the girls HS games are a true exercise in patience with all the fouls, tieups and possession arrow to get the ball back.

Pics are pretty good! Nice job.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 30, 2009 17:41 |  #8

snyderman wrote in post #9291580 (external link)
I hear a whistle coming on #2! My neice plays and watching the girls HS games are a true exercise in patience with all the fouls, tieups and possession arrow to get the ball back.

Pics are pretty good! Nice job.

dave

Thanks Dave. The girls were fired up:) and technique sometimes takes a back seat. About the shots - I'm beginning to think that more power, i.e. AB 800's or so, is the only way to go. I was hoping that that wouldn't be the case. I really like the "pop" flash provides and would love to stay with what I have.

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 31, 2009 01:27 |  #9

# 2 also looks like a few soccer matches I've seen.

Is it me or my monitor, but is the WB in #2 a tad on the cool side? Is it because they are closer to the strobes and you had a WB set to be a bit warmer to account for ambient?

For those that shoot BB strobed all the time, is that a concern? I'll be shooting boys youth BB a week from Friday for the first time with two strobes and I was just wondering.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 31, 2009 07:09 |  #10

ChasWG wrote in post #9294621 (external link)
# 2 also looks like a few soccer matches I've seen.

Is it me or my monitor, but is the WB in #2 a tad on the cool side? Is it because they are closer to the strobes and you had a WB set to be a bit warmer to account for ambient?

For those that shoot BB strobed all the time, is that a concern? I'll be shooting boys youth BB a week from Friday for the first time with two strobes and I was just wondering.

Yes, it is a little cool. I think it is from the reflection off the walls which were blue/grey. In another gym where I've used a similar setup, except I bounced off off-white walls since the ceiling is black, I don't get that occurring. Good luck with you shoot tomorrow.

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 31, 2009 16:17 |  #11

beacherz wrote in post #9295458 (external link)
Yes, it is a little cool. I think it is from the reflection off the walls which were blue/grey. In another gym where I've used a similar setup, except I bounced off off-white walls since the ceiling is black, I don't get that occurring. Good luck with you shoot tomorrow.

Ah, I understnd now. The gyms I shoot in are either a light yellowish or a tanish color. Dreadfull actually. But if I bounce off of them I'll WB to a warmer setting. Testing for sure. I'd love to see some simple white walls.
The game is in a week from Friday (the 8th) No one wants to play on New Years day, unless it's a bowl game, and that's all together different. ;)

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 31, 2009 16:41 |  #12

Looks like you got some pretty good light out of them! Looks like there's a little bit of blur there, but there's not much you can do at half power. If you went any lower power, you'd be having trouble getting far enough over your ambient.

13inches wrote in post #9289796 (external link)
Next time try using the two lights in different locations to reduce the shadows.

What shadows?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 31, 2009 20:37 |  #13

[QUOTE=DDCSD;9298436]L​ooks like you got some pretty good light out of them! Looks like there's a little bit of blur there, but there's not much you can do at half power. If you went any lower power, you'd be having trouble getting far enough over your ambient.

Thanks Derek. I was hoping I could get away with my small units, however, I think I'll need more power to get the kind of results I want. BTW, Happy New Year!

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

beacherz
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 31, 2009 20:42 |  #14

ChasWG wrote in post #9298309 (external link)
Ah, I understand now. The gyms I shoot in are either a light yellowish or a tanish color. Dreadfull actually. But if I bounce off of them I'll WB to a warmer setting. Testing for sure. I'd love to see some simple white walls.
The game is in a week from Friday (the 8th) No one wants to play on New Years day, unless it's a bowl game, and that's all together different. ;)

White walls...now there's a concept. Enjoy tomorrow's games and Happy New Year! Hope you have a great year of shooting:)

Wayne
Gear List
MaxPreps (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 31, 2009 21:05 |  #15

beacherz wrote in post #9299516 (external link)
Thanks Derek. I was hoping I could get away with my small units, however, I think I'll need more power to get the kind of results I want. BTW, Happy New Year!

Yeah, that's why I went with AB's. You just don't get enough light out of the the speedlites to bounce them and get a quick enough flash duration, unless you use about 4 of them! :lol: They work great when you shoot them direct, I just don't personally like the direct flash look.

It looks like you did pretty decent though. Good enough to get some keepers.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

2,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ceiling Bounced Speedlights for BB
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.