Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you're not a Photographer full time, what is your current career?

Acropora
59 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 29, 2009 10:48 |  #256

Computer programming (independent). Even if my photography was good enough for pro work, I'm not sure I would want to make it a 'job' and take the fun out of it.

20D, 18-55 IS, 50/1.4, Tamron 18-270 IS

sponsored links
KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2009 10:51 as a reply to  @ Acropora's post |  #257

I'm a social worker and work with delinquent teenagers at the Missouri Division of Youth Services. As much as I love photography, I have a passion for working with people, especially teenagers. I don't see myself giving that up for a while. Right now I'm looking for ways to incorporate photography into my career, but so far that has consisted only of being the unofficial (free) event photographer for division of youth services.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

blink_72
109 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2009 13:29 |  #258

Parking lot pimp...... Not really. I work as a Millrite Mechanic. (If you don't know what that is i work on machinery that makes copper overall.) And no i would not pass up my job. Great people. Good living. I pay less than three hundred a month for a three bed one half bath. Free water. And i stay in good shape. I'm an active person. Taking pics. Or swinging a hammer. Setting up lights. Slinging around ton and a half cast liner. Walk to different scenes. Walk miles of stairs with a bucket of tools. Mechanics for me.

Total Chaos Inc.
Gripped Canon 350D, EF 35-80mm, FD 70-210 Macro with adaptor, 350DSLR Flash, Imagination...

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/blinkphotograph​y72/ (external link)

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2009 15:07 |  #259

Thinking of taking 6 months out to see the world, Got nothing at home for me at the moment ?!

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

JimmyG
231 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 29, 2009 17:32 as a reply to  @ Radders's post |  #260

I'm a sophomore in Digital Media at Drexel University. I wish I could afford to be a photo major, but 50 grand a year in tuition doesn't leave much $$ for film, lab fees or paper and printing materials :(

Closest thing I have to a job is running a self employed/freelance paintball photography service.

James
Gripped EOS 5Dc|Gripped EOS 7D|EOS 450D|EOS Elan|Polaroid 103|Minolta X-700|Rokinon 8mm Fisheye|Canon 40mm 2.8 'pancake'|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 70-200 F4 L

James R Graves Photo (external link)

pinarello6
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2009 23:01 |  #261

I love this thread. Very interesting to see what we do in our "other" lives.
I own a successful long term pharmacy which has funded about $25k worth of bodies, lenses, Profoto lights, cases and everything else you can think of. Ive been fortunate in that respect.

AmandaMarie
Cream of the Crop
6,211 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 30, 2009 00:54 |  #262

I'll be a massage therapist in a few months. Making bank and buying new lenses lol

Meow.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 30, 2009 01:06 |  #263
bannedPermanent ban

AmandaMarie wrote in post #9287695 (external link)
I'll be a massage therapist in a few months. Making bank and buying new lenses lol

Thats the spirit!

I remember a nurse on here saying the same thing...only it was more "YAHHH MONEY!!!!" :lol:

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

l330n
260 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 30, 2009 01:13 |  #264

Radiology Tech

sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 30, 2009 08:35 |  #265

JimmyG wrote in post #9285256 (external link)
I'm a sophomore in Digital Media at Drexel University. I wish I could afford to be a photo major, but 50 grand a year in tuition doesn't leave much $$ for film, lab fees or paper and printing materials :(

Closest thing I have to a job is running a self employed/freelance paintball photography service.

Haha, one of my buddies is a DM major at drexel. He lives over in the Apple Pi house. I used to live with the guys who restarted the frat in like 05-06 when I was at Art Institute of Philly.

-Adam

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

THE ­ TROOPER
737 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2009 08:44 |  #266

Im a civil servant for local council. I have also just sold my gym business which have freed me up to have a bit of me time.

5DII GRIPPED - 17-40L
http://www.dreamworldi​mages.co.uk/ (external link)

kyzen
44 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 30, 2009 13:11 |  #267

Database Architect by day, forum lurker by night.

I'd love to get into photography as a paid thing, but that's a long ways off for me, I have far too much to learn still.

450D, 7D, Canon 55-250mm IS, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro

jwoods85
304 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 30, 2009 15:00 |  #268

AmandaMarie wrote in post #9287695 (external link)

lol let me know where you're working, I'd totally let you rub my back :):):cool:

|| 5D mk II || Sigma 24-70 2.8 II || Sigma 50 1.4 || 50 f1.8 || Sigma 70-200 2.8 || 580EXII with battery pack || http://www.jowofoto.co​m (external link)

travelin ­ man
80 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2010 22:55 as a reply to  @ jwoods85's post |  #269

I've been in law enforcement since 1981. I started out as county, then state. Currently I'm at the local Federal Big House as an Armorer / Locksmith. So instead of shooting photographs all day, I shoot weapons that I maintain. Working on locks and weapons has become dull and repetitive.:mad: I'm eligible to retire in 18 months:cool:, but I have just decided to "extend my sentence" another few years while I work on becoming a Pro Photographer. I'm looking forward to the drastic change in lifestyle and chasing a passion instead of a paycheck.

Drowned
158 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 25, 2010 02:37 |  #270

Web developer and designer... worked for a couple of companies a few years ago, but now I work at home and make money of a couple of websites :)

Canon 7D | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 | Canon 430EX II
www.snaptastik.com (external link)

sponsored links

54,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you're not a Photographer full time, what is your current career?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.