Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

reformat CF cards and specific CF cards for specific cameras

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jan 03, 2010 11:09 |  #1

Okay so my new 5DII and 7D are both going to be here on Tuesday. Should I reformat all my CF cards in the computer prior to in camera?

Also, I am assuming that I should keep the CF cards for each separate from each other.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 03, 2010 13:45 |  #2

That would be my recommendation...

I got bitten by Canon's propensity to default to the highest image number on the card when i moved from a D60 to a 20D. I have since added a 40D to the group and I have a set of cards specifically dedicated to each camera. I also have separate cards for my G5 and A70...

John

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2010 13:54 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #3

If it was me I would formatt the card's in camera and keep the cards for each camera, I myself keep Kingston 2GB card's for my main 1D classic and Lexar 2GB cards for my back up 1D classic, but that's just me, other photographer's will do it there way.;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

rklepper
THREAD ­ STARTER
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jan 03, 2010 16:43 |  #4

Yes, I am afraid I will need some more cards anyway so I think I will just get another card carrier and keep one for each camera.

Thanks

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 03, 2010 16:54 |  #5

I reformat everything in the computer before re-use, and haven't had a problem that way with mixing cards. I have too many assorted cameras to deal with separate carriers for each one. I'd rather have one or two bigger carriers and be able to use everything whenever I need it. I have a Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket and three PPR Jrs full of cards of between 4-8 GB size, plus what's in the cameras at any given time.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 03, 2010 21:34 |  #6

I would format the cards in camera, I've moved cards amongst a 30D, 5D and 5D MkII without issue.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 03, 2010 22:56 |  #7

i format everything in the camera before each use and i never separate cards for different cameras

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 03, 2010 23:16 |  #8

mitch2k1 wrote in post #9318353 (external link)
I would format the cards in camera, I've moved cards amongst a 30D, 5D and 5D MkII without issue.

Same for me. Never in the computer. And I shoot a lot of images. The cards have been used at one time or another in a Rebel XT, 20D, 30D, 40D and 1D MK III. I've never had a problem out of any of the cards which range from 4 gig to 16 gb. Mostly Kingston with a couple of Sandisk Extreme III that I bought recently.

As far as the number count goes, I always reset the counter in the camera before each use. I do this for both bodies, then sort my images by time and date taken which mixes the images into the order in which they were taken. The cameras have been synched with the same time and date. The 40D starts off at "img_0001" and I have a custom filename for the 1D3 that starts at "MTH_0001". That way no one gets over written.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2010 07:16 |  #9

JWright wrote in post #9315451 (external link)
That would be my recommendation...

I got bitten by Canon's propensity to default to the highest image number on the card when i moved from a D60 to a 20D. I have since added a 40D to the group and I have a set of cards specifically dedicated to each camera. I also have separate cards for my G5 and A70...

Yes, the file numbering (where the camera uses the last number on the card, even if it's from a different camera) used to be a PITA. Until I started renaming files when transferred from card to PC. Now it doesn't worry me at all and I have meaningful filenames.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 04, 2010 07:24 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #10

I always reformat in the camera immediately before using a card; it's the final check that the card is working correctly.

I don't worry about moving cards between cameras. I don't sweat trying to count shutter cycles--I shoot what I shoot. The EXIF tells me which camera shot each frame, and Breeze Systems Downloader Pro can rename each file as it's downloaded to identify the camera in the filename (if I so choose).

I do periodically (two or three times a year) do a full format of each card in the computer. The full format gives the card controller an opportunity to map out any registers that may have gone bad.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2010 07:25 |  #11

Make sure you format them somewhere before using on another body as it may cause data lose or erratic if you "share" cards between bodies.
Lexar cards come with a nice app for this and more, Image One.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

Agged
281 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 04, 2010 17:30 |  #12

RDKirk wrote in post #9320255 (external link)
I do periodically (two or three times a year) do a full format of each card in the computer. The full format gives the card controller an opportunity to map out any registers that may have gone bad.

At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, how does one do that in the computer?

Flickr (external link)
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=27565292

prrs4me
326 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 04, 2010 17:46 |  #13

I'm with the format in camera before using. I don't separate the cards and so far haven't had a problem. I've never formated in the computer but might give that a try once in a while.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 04, 2010 19:00 |  #14

Agged wrote in post #9323988 (external link)
At the risk of sounding like a complete noob, how does one do that in the computer?

Presuming you have a card reader, you only need to plug a card in and then open it and format it the same way you would any drive appropriate to your operating system. Just be sure not to do a "quick" format--use the full format option.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 04, 2010 20:14 |  #15

When I pull pictures off my card onto my computer; the last step I do is to delete the directories on the card so it's blank. It's not necessary to format solid state drives. This has worked for me in my 30D/50D/1Dmkiii environment. This way whatever card I pop into a camera is 'okay' and won't renumber things as John noted.
Doc; congratulations!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links

1,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
reformat CF cards and specific CF cards for specific cameras
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.