Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jan 2010 (Monday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Distance Marks EF-S Lenses

ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2010 12:16 |  #1

Hi, All. I have a T1i with the kit 18-55, Nifty 50 and the EF-S55-250 IS (On its way). I have a read about using distance marks to pre-focus when doing certain types of shooting (landscape, etc.) These lenses don't have distance marks, right, or am I missing them? What do you do instead? Thanks.~Eric

Canon 7D, 5D Mark II and some Stuff

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 04, 2010 13:45 |  #2

If your lens does not have distance marks, and many newer lenses do not, ignore what is said abut using distance marks. And IR marks, and DOF scales - things that used to be on lenses.

GEAR LIST

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2010 14:06 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #3

Does that mean that they no longer have a part to play? How do you compensate in terms of what you focus on when you want an entire scene in focus? Shooting stopped down should make the whole scene sharp. Where do you focus?

Canon 7D, 5D Mark II and some Stuff

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 04, 2010 14:09 |  #4

Sadly, you kind of get to guess. Normally focus on the part that will be the main focus of the image.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2010 14:18 |  #5

ofafeather wrote in post #9322534 (external link)
Does that mean that they no longer have a part to play? How do you compensate in terms of what you focus on when you want an entire scene in focus? Shooting stopped down should make the whole scene sharp. Where do you focus?

I can only guess that Canon assumes only advance users use distance scale and therefore, the entry-level EF and EF-S lenses which are presumably (by Canon) used by the lightweights do not need these scales. This way, the production cost and price tags can be lowered. Also this would be a good marketing move as it forces more serious users to upgrade their lenses to gain access to the scale.

That said, with AF lenses, the critical need for a precise scale is not as it used to be in MF days. Therefore, even with the expensive line of lenses, the distances are so vaguely marked which still takes some gussing to get the in-between ranges right. I could be wrong, but I find the EF lenses' AF ring do not rotate as much as it did on FD lenses. While this helps faster AF, makes precise MF more difficult.

Extra markings to guide DOF and IR are also becoming a rarity even on many L lenses. Sometimes it seems Canon provides the marking just for the sake of it. This is a pity. :(

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 04, 2010 14:23 |  #6

Unless you plan to manual focus, don't worry about it. If you do want to manual focus you cans till do it decently just by judging with your eye, or using the auto at first to help guide you.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2010 14:28 |  #7

gasrocks wrote in post #9322363 (external link)
If your lens does not have distance marks, and many newer lenses do not, ignore what is said abut using distance marks. And IR marks, and DOF scales - things that used to be on lenses.

I'm sure Ken Rockwell is disappointed that you didn't rail at the lack of an aperture ring ;)

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 04, 2010 14:29 |  #8

LiveView could be very helpful when using MF

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 04, 2010 14:35 |  #9

Are you sure these lenses don't have a distance scale on them? I hadn't heard that they had been dropped on them -- all of my lenses have one, including the old EF-S 17-85. It is a little plastic window on the lens that shows your focusing range in feet and milimeters, ending with an "L" on its back marking infinity and an extended range for temperature/IR conditions. It oculd be on any part of the lens, but should face up when the lens is mounted.

This scale is useful when you are manually focusing and want to either set your focus on a known finite distance or to infinity. It also has a place in double-checking AF if you are uncertain as to whether you have your desired distance in focus.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 04, 2010 14:47 |  #10

The 50/1.8 II certainly doesn't.

Mark.

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 04, 2010 15:09 |  #11

You no longer have distance markings because your camera has a 'better' way to focus the entire composition. Its called A-DEP mode. The light sensor in your camera will try to focus on the entire frame automatically in this mode.

Check out A-DEP in your manual for more info.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2010 15:23 |  #12

OneyedJack wrote in post #9322967 (external link)
You no longer have distance markings because your camera has a 'better' way to focus the entire composition. Its called A-DEP mode. The light sensor in your camera will try to focus on the entire frame automatically in this mode.

Check out A-DEP in your manual for more info.

This may do the trick in OP's case.

A-DEP (or live view) is not available on every Canon DSLR, but EF lenses are supposed to be usable on all of them.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 04, 2010 15:39 |  #13

Why this sudden urge to focus where some chart told you to? Most people do not even know about hyperfocal distance and have yet lived happy lives.

GEAR LIST

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 04, 2010 15:45 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #14

Focus about a third of the way into the scene, as a guide, then use the DoF preview button to check that the focus is OK on the item nearest to you, that you want acceptably sharp. Same with the distant part of the image. (I'm assuming here that the T1i has a DoF preview button, I think all Canon DSLRs have one).

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 04, 2010 15:55 |  #15

gasrocks wrote in post #9323157 (external link)
Why this sudden urge to focus where some chart told you to? Most people do not even know about hyperfocal distance and have yet lived happy lives.

I'm not following the recommended method as the OP mentioned. My whinge comes from the shortcoming I have felt through my own experience over time. The whinge is small and I have managed so far - so it's not too big a deal for me.

Most of the times I don't even need to know the distance, so I just use the AF. But also on many occasions I need MF for a particular reason. Then I wish to have all I can to make sure my MF is precise and the DOF is enough. It is not a sudden urge, but merely continuation of a practice. If we spend so much on quality equipment to achieve that last inch of perfection, we don't want all that go down the drain by making focus errors.

sponsored links

1,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Distance Marks EF-S Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.