Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 04:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a Ball Head for my Tripod

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2010 04:34 |  #1

I recently purchased a dynatran CF tripod http://www.amvona.com …t_details&produ​ct_id=2116 (external link)link for a good deal and now I need a head.
Could anyone tell me if all tripod heads are universal?
also, what head would you recommend considering a I have a 30D gripped and the heaviest lens I will probably use is the 70-200L 2.8is.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2010 07:34 |  #2

I love my Arca head. All ballheads are not the same though. That's why all of my plates have to be "Arca compatible" to fit into the grooves of an Arca head. There are different quick release plates for different heads.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 05, 2010 08:51 |  #3

Pretty much any tripod that has a removable head will accept any separately-available head, either directly or with a suitable adapter. Most heavier-duty tripods have a 3/8"-16 thread screw and most heavy-duty heads are tapped for 3/8"-16. If the tripod has only a 1/4"-20 thread screw and the head is 3/8"-16 there are extemely inexpensive bushings available that will let you mount the head to the smaller tripod screw. In hte unlikely event that your tripod has a 3/8"-16 thread screw but your ideal and only possible head is tapped for a 1/4"-20 thread, there actually are some adapters that will accommodate that as well.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ruben00
332 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 05, 2010 10:24 |  #4

If you are not looking to spend alot of money, I would tell you to look at the 488RC2. I also have not heard enough about the new 498RC2 to make it relevant right now. I have to say , even though many people have the Manfrotto 488RC2, I've also seen many people (on this forum) not happy with them, just FYI.

Im going to watch this thread because i'm also interested on getting a head for my new 055XPROB, but even though the Manfrotto heads are priced right (for me), there may be some better ones out there at a similar price range.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you!!
7D; 17-55mm f/2.8; 100-400L; 85mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.8; 30mm f/1.4; 430ex II;
Flickr (external link)

John ­ Z. ­ Goriup
76 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 05, 2010 10:39 as a reply to  @ ruben00's post |  #5

Maybe this has already been written about and hashed over and I'm just not aware of it because I don't spend all that much time on this site, but I'm surprised that to date we haven't heard more about the Acratech ( not a mis-spelling, not Arcatec ) but Acratech line of ballheads.

I went to my local dealer yesterday and looked their line over and I must say I was favorably impressed. They're lightweight, appearantly well made, quite reasonably priced, come in several versions from Heavy-duty to light duty.

The only thing which may look odd to some non engineering types is the somewhat unorthdox appearance. All unnecessary metal has been CNC machined away for the sake of retaining structural integrity while making it light.

I think everyone looking for a mid-priced ball head should at least investigate these, to be better able to make an informed choice .

JZG
Leica M9 + M6TTL- 24 f2.8 Asph., 35 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2 Asph.
5D Mk II w/ BG-E6, 24 f1.4 IIL, 24 f3.5 TS IIL, 35 f1.4L, 50 1.2L, 100 Macro f2.8L, 400 f5.6L, 580 EX Mk II
Gitzo GT3541L w/ RRS BH-55PCL head, Gitzo monopod, & RRS QRs and L-plates

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 05, 2010 12:41 |  #6

I'd recommend one of the RRS heads, or if you are on a budget then I'd look at the Giottos ballheads.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 05, 2010 12:49 |  #7

John is right, the Acratech stuff rocks. I have a GV2 model on top of my 3531S Gitzo and I cannot be happier. I always liken it to a Glock pistol. It is damned well bomb-proof in it's design - drop it in water, then drop it in sand, blow the sand out, or drop it back in water, then shoot away. I have no fears at all, putting my tripod setup into the absolute nastiest conditions and locales, without even thinking about it.

The GV2 is nice because it has a gimble feature, which I've found quite handy for things like shooting fireworks.

40D&Me
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 17, 2010 21:42 |  #8

My recommendation is one of the Markins heads with an RRS quick release clamp. For your application the Markins M10-NQS would be a nice ball head.

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 18, 2010 11:42 |  #9

ruben00 wrote in post #9328539 (external link)
If you are not looking to spend alot of money, I would tell you to look at the 488RC2. I also have not heard enough about the new 498RC2 to make it relevant right now. I have to say , even though many people have the Manfrotto 488RC2, I've also seen many people (on this forum) not happy with them, just FYI.

Im going to watch this thread because i'm also interested on getting a head for my new 055XPROB, but even though the Manfrotto heads are priced right (for me), there may be some better ones out there at a similar price range.

I agree with Ruben, as I wanted to my a new ballhead after the first time that I had used the 488RC4.

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 18, 2010 15:07 |  #10

1. Before you buy, verify what size screw is on the tripod shaft. Your tripod might come with 1/4 screw, and if you buy a 3/8" ballhead, you will need to purchase an adapter to upsize the screw on the tripod to fit the ballhead.
2. There are many proprietary Quick Release units on heads; Arca, Markins, Wemberley, RRS, Kirk, and a few others use the Arca-compatible QR system. If you opt for an RRS lever release QR, it is advised by RRS to use RRS plates or a couple of other brands of plate, but some brands of plate will not be adequately gripped by the RRS lever QR.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 19, 2010 05:55 |  #11

Todd Lambert wrote in post #9329596 (external link)
John is right, the Acratech stuff rocks. I have a GV2 model on top of my 3531S Gitzo and I cannot be happier.

Another Acratech fan here. I have the GV2 and their Long-Lens head, which is mainly used for my birding scope. Very good gear and, unlike most heads, it looks great as well.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

ruben00
332 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2010 16:24 |  #12

You know, the OP never put in his post how much he wanted to spend...

I suggested a ballhead that < $100, but most people here suggest ballheads that are > $250

What exactly are you looking for bimmeracer3? Weight, Price, Features, etc????

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you!!
7D; 17-55mm f/2.8; 100-400L; 85mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.8; 30mm f/1.4; 430ex II;
Flickr (external link)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 27, 2010 01:54 |  #13

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the SV BH8
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …lhead_with_Arca​_Type.html (external link)

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

1,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a Ball Head for my Tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.