Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me choose a couple of external HD

ergaticus
73 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 05, 2010 10:38 |  #1

Hi everyone,
I've been backing up my archive to DVDs only so far, but I've finally managed to save some money in order to buy a couple of external hard drives for storage and backup purposes.
I live in Mexico and I currently have the following two options available through the local market. I'd like to receive your input in order to make a decision please. :)

Option # 1:

The Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB are available at the local Sam's Club. I've been reading the reviews on Amazon and most of the people seem to be happy. Some users though report very early failures, during the first months or weeks.
http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1262706​660&sr=8-2 (external link)
I wouldn't be able to get a warranty replacement here in Mexico so that concerns me.
Plus, the price is about 2320 pesos X 2 = 4640 pesos. Quite expensive, it almost doubles the price in USD.

Option # 2:

This is a link to a product that is for sale on the local Ebay equivalent:
http://articulo.mercad​olibre.com.mx …b-aluminio-serial-ata-_JM (external link)
Basically it's an external enclosure with this HD inside:
http://www.seagate.com …0VgnVCM100000f5​ee0a0aRCRD (external link)
So basically a 1TB drive, instead of a 500GB and the price is much lower too: 1659 pesos X 2 = 3318 pesos. I would have twice the storage for a lower price. There's a 1 year warranty directly with the vendor.
I'm leaning towards the second option, I'm unsure though about the external enclosure, which looks pretty cheap and I'm not sure wether it could cause possible heating problems with a 7200rpm drive.

What would you advise me to do?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

UPDATE: I think I posted this on the wrong section of the forum, I guess it should belong in the computers section. :oops: I apologize for the mistake and if a moderator could help moving this I would be most grateful, thanks!

rameshiyer
41 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 05, 2010 12:36 |  #2

If you are ok having an external power supply, I suggest you look for a Seagate FreeAgent 1Tb instead of the The Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB. Here in India, both cost almost the same. The difference between FreeAgent and FreeAgent Go is that "Go" doesn't require an external power source (works with USB power and hence more portable and expensive).

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 05, 2010 12:51 |  #3

I would strongly recommend a Raid system, similar to a Drobo or LaCie setup for backup. Especially if you are profiting from your images. I have the Drobo and it's simple to configure and you can have a 3Tb drive fairly inexpensively. That way you do not have a single point of failure.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

ergaticus
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 06, 2010 19:46 as a reply to  @ mitch2k1's post |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a few hours searching through previous posts regarding external storage here on POTN and I think I might have found a better solution. I will buy a docking station and a couple of good internal hard drives. It's cheaper and I hope it will be a more practical solution in the long term.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me choose a couple of external HD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.