Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shipping Genesis 200 1-Light Kit to Canada with UPS standard

wbiao
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 07, 2010 10:53 |  #1

I am going to buy a Genesis 200 1-Light kit at: http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K/ (external link)

I live in GTA Canada. After check-out, the shipping page shows me three options:
UPS CANADA STANDARD $27.64
UPS WORLDWIDE EXPRESS $122.32
UPS WORLDWIDE EXPEDITED $108.37

I definitely won't pay over $100 for a $170 kit, then the only option left is UPS standard. But I've heard that UPS standard will screw me hard with surprising brokerage fees.

My question is if there is anyone in Canada has bought the Genesis 200 from US recently? If I select UPS standard, how much high will the brokerage fee be?

Thanks.

sponsored links
spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2010 11:42 |  #2

To find out all about shipping photography equipment to Canada click here (external link)

I live in Ottawa and what i am going to do is ship it to ogdensburg which is less than an hour drive for me and pick it up at a UPS store so i don't have to pay for shipping, also most photography equipment is duty free so you dont have to worry there. All you would have to pay for sure is the tax, unless you were to spend a weekend in the states

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 07, 2010 11:59 |  #3

If you use UPS standard (i.e. "ground"), the fee for brokerage on a $169 item is $29.00, plus possible bond or COD fees on applicable tax and duty. Source: UPS website (external link). Also note there's possibly a 7% duty on lighting equipment, depending on how lucky you are with the classification.

I'd suggest calling Calumet to see if they're willing to ship it USPS ($5 brokerage flat fee, less chance of tax/duty in my experience).

Maurice ­ A.
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2010 16:28 |  #4

I have had a few items shipped to Nova Scotia UPS standard with no surprise fees.
UPS express and USPS is very expensive, wish Adorama shipped UPS standard.

M. Aucoin

JCAC75
103 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 07, 2010 17:08 |  #5

I just received the Genesis 200 2 light kit ($299). Shipped Fedex no brokerage (everything included) for $156.00

When I checked out I asked to be contacted about shipping (didn't select their standard options). By the afternoon they called me back and gave my options. Best turned out to be FedEx as it included everything with no surprises. Was potentially a little more expensive, but who knows what UPS would have charged. I don't have good experiences with them.

Ordered on Dec 21st arrived Dec 24th.

40D Gripped :: Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mrk1 :: Canon 70-200L 2.8 :: 300L/4 IS :: 300L 2.8 :: Canon 24-70L 2.8 :: Tokina 11-16 2.8 :: Canon 430EX :: Vivitar 285 and 283

JCAC75
103 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 07, 2010 17:12 |  #6

Maurice A. wrote in post #9346439 (external link)
I have had a few items shipped to Nova Scotia UPS standard with no surprise fees.
UPS express and USPS is very expensive, wish Adorama shipped UPS standard.

My dealing were quite the opposite. UPS was bad for brokerage and USPS was awesome (just taxes on all transactions).

40D Gripped :: Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mrk1 :: Canon 70-200L 2.8 :: 300L/4 IS :: 300L 2.8 :: Canon 24-70L 2.8 :: Tokina 11-16 2.8 :: Canon 430EX :: Vivitar 285 and 283

Maurice ­ A.
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 13, 2010 18:22 |  #7

JCAC75 wrote in post #9346743 (external link)
My dealing were quite the opposite. UPS was bad for brokerage and USPS was awesome (just taxes on all transactions).

I had a 45lb massage table shipped from California ups standard + duty was still only 1/3 the price of a 2lb monolight shipped usps from Adorama.

M. Aucoin

sponsored links

1,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shipping Genesis 200 1-Light Kit to Canada with UPS standard
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.