Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 00:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Totally torn...

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2010 11:02 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Spend the little extra money and get the 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

I suck at Photoshop.

sponsored links
EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2010 11:15 |  #32

Just as an "out there" idea...

The new Sigma 17-70 F2.8 - F4 OS, perhaps?

My older 17-70 is well built, sharp, and kept on ticking perfectly even after being knocked off a bar by my GF, though one of the internal clips did break, resulting in a gap near the focus ring, the images and operation did not suffer. At F4 max apparture at the long end, you aren't losing anything to the 17-40L, and you'll save some cash.

Just a thought..

z...

Dokk
THREAD ­ STARTER
I saw "spankin" too
166 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2010 14:24 |  #33

Thanks for the help, folks! I think I'm just going to wait a little and save up for something I'll be happy with for the long term. All your (sometimes conflicting) feedback was definitely helpful in making this decision. :)

~Darrel
(Sliding dangerously down another sLope... :rolleyes:)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2010 15:31 |  #34

Dokk wrote in post #9345536 (external link)
Thanks for the help, folks! I think I'm just going to wait a little and save up for something I'll be happy with for the long term. All your (sometimes conflicting) feedback was definitely helpful in making this decision. :)

sometimes conflicting? you must be new here. :)

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,194 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 07, 2010 15:46 as a reply to  @ CosmoKid's post |  #35

Well im glad our conflicting suggestions saved you some money ! :p

Regards, :D

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

Dokk
THREAD ­ STARTER
I saw "spankin" too
166 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 07, 2010 16:02 |  #36

CosmoKid wrote in post #9346051 (external link)
sometimes conflicting? you must be new here. :)

touché. :D

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9346164 (external link)
Well im glad our conflicting suggestions saved you some money ! :p

In the short term ... but it just means I'll spend more in the longterm (or as soon as I can sell off enough stuff I don't need to afford some 2.8 L glass). :lol: :p

~Darrel

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 08, 2010 00:58 |  #37

Dokk wrote in post #9346270 (external link)
it just means I'll spend more in the longterm

Hahaha bw!

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

wildland
235 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2010 11:16 |  #38

Dokk wrote in post #9345536 (external link)

All well and good, but in the mean time, you might be missing shots you need that new lens for ;). Buy a used Tammy 17-50/2.8 and sell it later when you've saved up the difference. It's unlikely that you'd loose much money in the process, since the next model (the VC/stabilized version) is already released.

-- josh
/ photos (external link) / blog (external link) /

Dokk
THREAD ­ STARTER
I saw "spankin" too
166 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2010 11:18 |  #39

wildland wrote in post #9351855 (external link)
All well and good, but in the mean time, you might be missing shots you need that new lens for ;). Buy a used Tammy 17-50/2.8 and sell it later when you've saved up the difference. It's unlikely that you'd loose much money in the process, since the next model (the VC/stabilized version) is already released.

<<rocking back and forth in the corner, in the fetal position>>

"I will not spend my money. I will not spend my money. I will not spend my money."

<<continues rocking back and forth, in the fetal position>>

~Darrel

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 08, 2010 11:41 |  #40

I know you didn't list this as a choice and I know it's not an L, I know it's a variable aperture lens; I've never used it, so I can't comment first-hand on its performance, but have you considered the EF-S 15-85?

Has USM focusing, IS, suitable as a wide and walkabout, costs about the same as the 17-40.

My Gear

Dokk
THREAD ­ STARTER
I saw "spankin" too
166 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2010 01:25 as a reply to  @ runninmann's post |  #41

UPDATE: I'm a lost cause. Got a reimbursement that I'd forgotten about and budget around; so it was like free money. As such, I got what I knew I'd eventually want: 24-70/2.8L. :rolleyes: Two words: Love it. :D It's just the perfect lens for me. I love it indoors and outdoors -- crisp, rich, speedy, and silent. It lives up to its nickname. It is definitely a brick; but I'm strong. :p

Thanks again for the help ... conflictual as the advice was. ;)

~Darrel

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 12, 2010 08:12 |  #42

Dokk wrote in post #9376655 (external link)
Got a reimbursement that I'd forgotten about and budget around; so it was like free money.

How do you go about 'finding' these reimbursements? :lol:

Glad you got what you wanted. Next stop, 16-35 2.8L?

Dokk wrote in post #9376655 (external link)
Thanks again for the help ... conflictual as the advice was. ;)

That's what we're here for! :D

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

Dokk
THREAD ­ STARTER
I saw "spankin" too
166 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2010 08:52 |  #43

S30L28 wrote in post #9377840 (external link)
How do you go about 'finding' these reimbursements? :lol:

Glad you got what you wanted. Next stop, 16-35 2.8L?

That's what we're here for! :D

You deal with state agencies during a recession ... which can take up to 3 months to reimburse you for your travel expenses.

Next stop is the 70-200 2.8L IS that work is getting for me (because I sure as heck can't afford that :lol:). At the UW end, I'll be keeping my eye out for a Tokina 12-24, actually; but I'm not in a hurry. My next trip to NYC where that would be useful won't be for 6 months, at least ... so I'm going to be patient and wait for the right used copy to pop up. :)

~Darrel

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 12, 2010 11:42 as a reply to  @ Dokk's post |  #44

Calicajun wrote in post #9341675 (external link)
I had the Tamron 17-50 VC F2.8 for ten days and didn't like it at all. Wife gave me the Tamron for a Christmas gift but I returned it yesterday. Ran some test between the 17-50 and the 17-85 Canon and the Canon won hands down. The Canon was much sharper than the Tamron at the same F-stops by quite a bit. Shooting the Tamron at f2.8, the pictures were so noisy, I wouldn't ever want to print or post any of those shots. I'm upgrading the returned Tamron for a Canon 24-105 F4L. To me paying the extra $350.00 in well worth the difference.

Don't even know where to start picking out the faults in here.
The OP was comparing the Tamron 17-50 to the EF 17-40L, where'd you get the 17-85?
The noise has nothing to do with the lens, but the camera body itself.
OP, I hope you didn't get swayed by this person's post because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

-

whoops, didn't read your update. Disregard my post...
And for those who say, if you plan to move to FF, get the 17-40L, I would disregard that, too. I started with the 40D, moved to the 1D MarkII, and now have the 5D MarkII and had a lot of EF-S and crop body only lenses and had NO problem selling them. People make it sound like once you buy something, it's impossible to sell. I say purchase the gear that's best for what you have right now.

I've owned the Tamron 17-50 before and I think it's STELLAR. I've moved to FF now, but I wish there was something that produced the IQ for that amount of $$$.
Not only does the Tamron 17-50 have 10mm on the long end, but it's also a FULL STOP wider than the 17-40L. That gives you a LOT more flexibility with your lens and what it can capture.

Don't be swayed by the red ring... sure it's sexy but there's other lenses that produce the same IQ and gives you more for less $$$.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 12, 2010 11:47 |  #45

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];9378920']
Don't be swayed by the red ring... sure it's sexy but there's other lenses that produce the same IQ and gives you more for less $$$.

watch what you say- people pay big bucks for that red ring!
Canon says it has the best lens and that's it, case closed. don't even look at those other lens that show better image resolution or "build" .

sponsored links

4,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Totally torn...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.