Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An all-in-one amazing lens?

salmanjafri
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2010 21:05 |  #1

I'm still fairly new to professional photography. There's a whole lot I don't understand about lenses and I thought I'd ask but one of my questions to all you experts. So lately I've been wondering why I've never come across a lens that does it all. I've never seen one lens that's wide, has long reach, is fast, has IS, etc, etc. From what I've seen, there's always a feature/capability that's lacking - you can't seem to get it all. Why doesn't a 15-250mm f/1.8 IS L USM exist? Is it just not possible to engineer a system like that?

My apologies if that's a ridiculous question. I'm still a newbie. :)

Canon EOS 7D
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/salmanjafri/ (external link)

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 07, 2010 21:07 |  #2

Neither your wallet or arms would be able to handle it.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

salmanjafri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2010 21:10 as a reply to  @ Bendel's post |  #3

Oh, I see. Is it theoretically possible to build a lens like that, though?

Canon EOS 7D
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Highflyr
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 07, 2010 21:14 |  #4

sure anything is possible with the right budget. Why not make it a 1.2?

Canon Rebel XSi | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm | Opteka Battery Grip

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 07, 2010 21:18 |  #5

It's impossible to get it all done with one lens.

That's why the point and shoot was invented.

Thank you. bw!

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2010 21:21 as a reply to  @ post 9348205 |  #6

What he said ^

Basically, you have to make compromises on anything with a large zoom range. Most "superzoom" lenses will have variable apertures such as f/3.5-5.6, so you won't get as much control over depth of field. This will also make it more difficult to get fast shutter speeds for sports etc.

If I were to get one of these lenses, I would go with the Tamron 18-270 probably. It is decent optically and has a good zoom range with an image stabilization system. I think that the best compromise lenses from canon right now would probably be the 15-85mm for crop cameras and the 24-105mm for full-frame. The 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses make a great two lens solution with good picture quality across the board at a low cost.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2010 21:22 |  #7

salmanjafri wrote in post #9348150 (external link)
Oh, I see. Is it theoretically possible to build a lens like that, though?

It's probably possible and would look something like these two lenses combined. Imagine a lens maybe 15 inches long with a front element 6 inches or more in diameter weighing a whole lot. I would expect that the optical properties wouldn't be too great either It's very hard to design a lens that works well wide and long and the large aperture isn't going to make that job easier.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 07, 2010 21:27 |  #8

I consider all my lenses to be specialized tools. The further you advance in our field of work, the more you cry out for specialized tools - not one all purpose tool. If you took your car in for repair and the mechanic had only one all purpose wrench would you feel confident?

GEAR LIST

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 07, 2010 21:34 |  #9

gasrocks wrote in post #9348288 (external link)
I consider all my lenses to be specialized tools. The further you advance in our field of work, the more you cry out for specialized tools - not one all purpose tool. If you took your car in for repair and the mechanic had only one all purpose wrench would you feel confident?

That's a great analogy right there. </thread>

salmanjafri
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2010 23:10 |  #10

That makes sense! You guys are great. Thank you for you replies. :)

Canon EOS 7D
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 07, 2010 23:21 |  #11

salmanjafri wrote in post #9348109 (external link)
So lately I've been wondering why I've never come across a lens that does it all. I've never seen one lens that's wide, has long reach, is fast, has IS, etc, etc.

From experience, there's not much wrong with existing lenses such as the Tamron 18-200mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The Tamron 18-200 is one of the simpler and less expensive of the so-called "superzoom" lenses, yet it can handle a wide range of images. There are more sophisticated versions of the lens with optical stabilization for those who want that feature.

The superzooms generally don't have the weight or expense that some want. There are some people who judge equipment solely on cost, but they're unhappy when they learn that their money doesn't automatically buy results. For those with less to spend, something like the Tamron superzoom series works just fine.

Now, if you really, really want a lens that "does it all," Canon makes several of those lenses. They don't fit SLR's, however - they're for high-definition television cameras. (external link) They cost far more than US $100,000 and they weigh around 25kg. However, they are available, and small details such as price and weight should not stop you from going out and purchasing exactly what you want. :)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 07, 2010 23:26 |  #12

My Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 weighs 6 pounds. Mounted on a 1D MK III, it becomes a formidable opponent for the arms!
I have used it with a 40D and I was able to hold it for a few shots without a monopod. But mostly it is supported by a pod. If a creature existed like you describe, it would be a monster and neither you nor me or a dozen of our close friends could afford to pool our money and buy it.

Most good zooms are a 3:1 ratio. 70-200, 100-400, 120-300, 24-70, 17-55. See what I mean?

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 08, 2010 21:46 |  #13

salmanjafri wrote in post #9348109 (external link)
I'm still fairly new to professional photography. There's a whole lot I don't understand about lenses and I thought I'd ask but one of my questions to all you experts. So lately I've been wondering why I've never come across a lens that does it all. I've never seen one lens that's wide, has long reach, is fast, has IS, etc, etc. From what I've seen, there's always a feature/capability that's lacking - you can't seem to get it all. Why doesn't a 15-250mm f/1.8 IS L USM exist? Is it just not possible to engineer a system like that?

My apologies if that's a ridiculous question. I'm still a newbie. :)

I will vote you to be the new Canon's technology director, to make 15-250 f/1.8 IS L USM..(not yet MACRO ?)

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2010 22:00 as a reply to  @ zshaft's post |  #14

I have the tamron 18-270 and it is quite a sharp lens for the focal length that it covers. It is also decent speed. At least half a stop faster than the 15-85 or 75-300. There is something you give up and the AF is def not as strong as USM or HSM. But if I dont know what I will encounter and just going out there to try my luck... it works. It is somewhat macro also :)

But no, u can't expect L quality.

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 08, 2010 23:11 |  #15

DC Fan wrote in post #9349022 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

i just had to chime in and say how interesting this cat is

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

sponsored links

5,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
An all-in-one amazing lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.