Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My trip to Best Buy today

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 08, 2010 10:34 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

Paul J McCain wrote in post #9351526 (external link)
To me, Best Buy is annoying. Maybe because it's I buy everything online, but for example- I got a $30 gift card for Christmas, and wanted to pick up another battery for my 7D. Best Buy's price is $99, so I'd spend $69, when I can get it for $65 from Amazon. Awesome... no idea what I'm going to use this card for.

How does that make BB annoying? Just order the battery from Amazon and pick up yourself a nice CD at BB.

sponsored links
itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 08, 2010 10:48 |  #47

Erik_L wrote in post #9351348 (external link)
I've heard BB employees tell a customer that an iPod will not play MP3s and will only play the Apple file format audio. I have also heard employees tell the customer exactly what they need to do to get music on the iPod (and even included the little secrets like "change the import settings to MP3 and set iTunes to manage the music folder)

I know that it all depends on who you talk to, but for the most part, they don't have a clue. When I first tried to use a 50D about a month ago, it was a disaster. They had 4 different people there trying to show me how to get into the quick menu (they wanted to demo the 6.3 FPS and had to change Drive and ISO settings to make it possible). I know that dSLR is a little more specialized, but you would think that at least one person there would have some information. As I was setting it down - about to give up - I bumped the stick inward and saw the menu come up. It was funny as all 4 of the associates came running back to see "what I had done"

National Camera was really not much better. They let me play with the camera, but if I needed to change something, they would grab it, change it, and give it back. Not a whole lot of "learning" going on...

Or you could have set it to manual and set the exposure yourself. Changing the exposure has always been the same on the xxD bodies IIRC.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 08, 2010 11:08 |  #48

Hogloff wrote in post #9351545 (external link)
Whatever BB is doing...it seems to be working. You bought the 7D from them did you not? And it seems you frequent the store quite often.

I bought from them because they were the ONLY place that had one. A guy on FM bought one, and clued me in that there was another. I grabbed it. They weren't available elsewhere. I was on a couple of waiting lists at the time.

The only thing they did right was to have the product when nobody else did. I wouldn't credit them for anything else in this case.

And no, I don't frequent the store. My experiences span several years. I drop in once or twice a year.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 08, 2010 11:13 |  #49

SnapLocally.com wrote in post #9351559 (external link)
I'll say this for BB- they're better than the pushy, equally inept douches at Ritz.

We've got a Wolf camera nearby - I stopped in the other day looking for a specific bag. The place was e-m-p-t-y. I mean they didn't even have a large stock of their house brand Quantaray lenses.

The only other camera shop in town is Superior Camera and they sell mostly old cameras - and Nikon. No Canon products. Of course, Circuit City is gone as well. Not too many choices.

Except for the 7D, I've bought all my photography equipment on line over the last 4 or 5 years. There's little choice really.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2010 11:41 |  #50

itzcryptic wrote in post #9351654 (external link)
Or you could have set it to manual and set the exposure yourself. Changing the exposure has always been the same on the xxD bodies IIRC.

I couldnt change the aperuture because the "big wheel" wouldn't work because it wasn't in wheelie-bobber mode. I know better now, but as a P&S user, I was clueless.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

GSeries1
656 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2010 11:50 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Somewhat related....

For those of you who don’t know I am a student but currently working at a major electronics retailer (yes, the one that just came to mind) in the digital imaging department. If you’re not familiar with modern compact camera jargon the big thing these days is face detection, smile detection, blink detection, etc. This is where the camera detects first of all that there is a human face and maintains focus on it, and secondly gives a warning if you take a picture and someone is not smiling or they blinked, etc. etc.

The Story:

So this adorable middle aged Asian woman comes into the store and I ask her if she needs some help.

She remarks in a thick Asian accent, “Yes, I need return dis stooopid camera.”

I said, “Well what’s the problem?”

She says, “It stooopid.”

I was like, “Is it broken?”

She says, “No, it stooopid… I tell you already.”

I urged her to be a little more specific so I could find her a “non-stupid” camera.

She said, “It stoooopid,,, I buy camera to take pictures of family and grandkids and it be stupid all time and make hard to take picture.”

I asked why it was hard to take a picture…

She said, “Caz I get stupid message after every picture that say “Ought Oh,, Someone Squinted,”

“Nobody squint damnit; we just Asian….”

Canon 1D | Canon G9

Big ­ Frost
384 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 08, 2010 11:58 |  #52

Tom W wrote in post #9351831 (external link)
We've got a Wolf camera nearby - I stopped in the other day looking for a specific bag. The place was e-m-p-t-y. I mean they didn't even have a large stock of their house brand Quantaray lenses.

The only other camera shop in town is Superior Camera and they sell mostly old cameras - and Nikon. No Canon products. Of course, Circuit City is gone as well. Not too many choices.

Except for the 7D, I've bought all my photography equipment on line over the last 4 or 5 years. There's little choice really.

Yeah, I live like 5 minutes from a Wolf Camera right outside Chicago and that store is empty too. They stock almost nothing with the Canon name on it there anymore, and their most recent flyer had nothing Canon in it either. So I happily make the 30 minute drive to Calumet Photography. I love that store. So far every employee that has helped me there is far more knowledgeable than I am, and has helped me save time and in a few instances money.

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 08, 2010 12:02 |  #53

GSeries1 wrote in post #9352079 (external link)
Somewhat related....

Thank you for making cola shoot out of my nose. You owe me a new keyboard. :)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

xchocobugx
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2010 12:19 |  #54

gotta love japan! if you ever make it to this country visit a BIC camera or YODABASHI camera. Sales personnel are always on stand by and will pretty much leave you alone to play with any of the up to 10 of each camera models laying around. Yes including the 1DM4 along with any canon L lenses you can think of. You will be greeted with the started hello and is there anything specific you are lookin for? After that that you won't be approached again until you get the confused look on your face trying to figure something out or you specifically ask for help! Then they get a customer like me who tries to ask questions in english/broken japanese and confuse the hell out of them! haha

Arnee O.

Kafn8td
864 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 08, 2010 13:02 |  #55

LOLz

m3n00b
146 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 08, 2010 13:04 |  #56

LOL....mine AF's in live view.

Current-500d/18-55efs/nifty-two-fifty/UV Filters/CPL Filter/ND Filters/72"tripod/bag/​0 skills
Before- Samsung v800

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 08, 2010 13:20 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #9349443 (external link)
I think the TF needs to visit this thread. She'd love it:
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Already linked it to the TF thread, i second this motion

I suck at Photoshop.

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 13:20 |  #58

Lol funny story... I think the sales people from best but have no Idea what they are talking about. When I went in to buy my 50d they sent me to talk to their "Camera Guy" he had no idea what he was talking about. I asked him questions about the xs, xsi, t1i, and 50d that I already knew and he told me the only differences in them are more pixles and the 50d just had a "pro" body! lol i just laughed while my wife elbowed me in the stomach and told me to stop being mean. I told him I was upgrading from the old canon D30 with 3.3mp and he told me it was a Nikon. He then took me to the nikon side and tried to tell me that my camera did not exist!! Stupid!!

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

GSeries1
656 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 08, 2010 15:25 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

guyzer09 wrote in post #9352649 (external link)
Lol funny story... I think the sales people from best but have no Idea what they are talking about. When I went in to buy my 50d they sent me to talk to their "Camera Guy" he had no idea what he was talking about. I asked him questions about the xs, xsi, t1i, and 50d that I already knew and he told me the only differences in them are more pixles and the 50d just had a "pro" body! lol i just laughed while my wife elbowed me in the stomach and told me to stop being mean. I told him I was upgrading from the old canon D30 with 3.3mp and he told me it was a Nikon. He then took me to the nikon side and tried to tell me that my camera did not exist!! Stupid!!

They make $9 an hour and most of the guys there during the holiday are only seasonal employees... You can't expect much...

Canon 1D | Canon G9

CameraLens
414 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 08, 2010 15:59 |  #60

She said, “Caz I get stupid message after every picture that say “Ought Oh,, Someone Squinted,”

Now that's just classic! :lol: :)

GSeries1 wrote in post #9353525 (external link)
They make $9 an hour and most of the guys there during the holiday are only seasonal employees... You can't expect much...

No doubt. This is exactly why I posted my earlier remark about being hard on these employees. Most of them could prolly never even afford anything like a 50D. Give 'em a break already!

Canon 40D + BG-E2N + 580EX II
P
owerShot G16
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM,
EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina
AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX
Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 808RC4 head

sponsored links

7,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
My trip to Best Buy today
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.