Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D2 metering: anyone else need +2/3 or +1 all the time?

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 08, 2010 13:39 |  #1

I've been trying for some time to figure out if I'm doing something stupid, but I can't find anything wrong that I'm doing or have set.

When shooting with available light, my 5D2 consistently needs +2/3 to +1 EC for the shot to come out looking roughly right. In fact when I shoot at +2/3, I often need to boost exposure in PP, so it's probably fair to say that it needs +1 EC all the time.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Should I send the thing in to Canon yet again?

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:15 |  #2

Which lens, which meter mode, what kind of ambient light, where is the camera in relation to the light source, what kind of subject, do you have any example images?

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:22 |  #3

Depends what you are metering and what mode.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

anthony11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:23 |  #4

1) 24-105 and 50 f/1.4
2) Evaluative or Spot
3) Any
4) Anywhere
5) Humans
6) Thousands, but I don't know that they're useful without the context of seeing what the setting was like in person

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:38 |  #5

How do you use spot metering?

anthony11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 08, 2010 14:47 |  #6

Is that a trick question? I turn it on.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 15:14 |  #7

anthony11 wrote in post #9353270 (external link)

That is not a trick question spot metering sets exposure for that spot to zone 5 gray scale (zone system) which completely affects the exposure for the rest of the image.

I recommend trying different meter modes in a specific scene until you find what works for you. Lenses make a huge difference as well. I can't tell you which mode I use by name but in aperture priority I use (O) mode which may be evaluative I am not sure. I use Zeiss and Leica lenses and rarely if ever have an issue with exposure with 0.0 exposure compensation.

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 08, 2010 15:17 |  #8

jetcode wrote in post #9353461 (external link)
That is not a trick question spot metering sets exposure for that spot to zone 5 gray scale (zone system) which completely affects the exposure for the rest of the image.

I recommend trying different meter modes in a specific scene until you find what works for you. Lenses make a huge difference as well. I can't tell you which mode I use by name but in aperture priority I use (O) mode which may be evaluative I am not sure. I use Zeiss and Leica lenses and rarely if ever have an issue with exposure with 0.0 exposure compensation.

I think you're referring to partial metering.

[()] is partial
[(*)] is evaluate
[] is center weighted average

• is spot

• -Max
    "Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

jetcode
    Cream of the Crop
    6,239 posts
    Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 15:48 |  #9

I only use evaluate meter mode and if necessary have a dedicated spot meter but rarely use unless I shoot my 4x10 which I haven't done since the 5DII was released (who needs it!).

bohdank
    Cream of the Crop
    14,060 posts
    Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2010 15:53 |  #10

I find that, in anything but very good light, my 5DII seems to underexpose at least 1/3 stop. I often find myself at +2/3 or +1.

My default is +1/3 in good light.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
    Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
    Flickr (external link)

Lowner
    "I'm the original idiot"
    12,924 posts
    Joined Jul 2007

Jan 08, 2010 15:59 |  #11

anthony11,

My 30D often needs compensation dialled in and a friend constantly complains that his "underexposes", but I don't believe its because theres anything wrong with ours, or yours. Its likely to be because the meter is "averaging" what it sees into a grey mush, but you are interested in a particular rendering of this mush which is different to the camera. And believe me the camera meter does not have a large brain.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Tom ­ W
    Canon Fanosapien
    12,747 posts
    Joined Feb 2003

Jan 08, 2010 17:36 |  #12

bohdank wrote in post #9353668 (external link)
    My default is +1/3 in good light.

I'm +1/3 on the 7D, generally 0 on the 5D2.

Tom
    5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

JeffreyG
    "my bits and pieces are all hard"
    15,540 posts
    Gallery: 42 photos
    Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2010 17:59 |  #13

anthony11 wrote in post #9353270 (external link)

He's asking you what specific tones you are spot metering and what resultant meter reading you are expecting. I dunno....spot meter in anything other than M mode doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. That's probably what prompted the question.

In any case, on the rare occasions that I use my 5D meter to set an exposure in an auto-metered zone, I typically find +1/3 to +2/3 EC is needed to get a correct exposure in a scene that seems like it would not normally need EC.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
    I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

jetcode
    Cream of the Crop
    6,239 posts
    Joined Jul 2009

Jan 08, 2010 18:12 |  #14

Regards to Spot Metering:

It really doesn't matter which camera mode you are in because that relates to shutter speed and aperture. If you spot white you will get underexposure and if you spot black you will get over exposure. In either case the meter will set the exposure to make each match a gray card. Spot metering is best when you decide that a specific tone in the image is at the same reference as a gray card.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Gray_card (external link)

anthony11
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    Goldmember
    2,148 posts
    Joined Mar 2009

Jan 08, 2010 18:42 |  #15

JeffreyG wrote in post #9354648 (external link)
    He's asking you what specific tones you are spot metering and what resultant meter reading you are expecting. I dunno....spot meter in anything other than M mode doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

My understanding is that spot metering can be useful when eg. the subject is backlit by a window or such, to avoid the bright bg underexposing the subject.
    I shot a couple of spot/evaluative 0/+1EC sequences today - will get one posted tonight if I can.

sponsored links

9,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
    5D2 metering: anyone else need +2/3 or +1 all the time?
    FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.