Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto 055XPROB For Light stand?

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 09, 2010 19:31 |  #1

I just received a new 43" collapsible Wescott shoot through umbrella; I have the 580EX II flash. Is there any way anyone knows of that I can use my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod,maybe with a Bogen Super Clamp and umbrella adapter, as a stand? I do have a stand that came with my PhotoDiox 5in1 circular relfector, but my plan is to use the flash/umbrella on one side of subject and reflector on the other. Just trying to find a way not to spend any more money if I don't have to!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 09, 2010 19:59 |  #2

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #9361171 (external link)
I just received a new 43" collapsible Wescott shoot through umbrella; I have the 580EX II flash. Is there any way anyone knows of that I can use my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod,maybe with a Bogen Super Clamp and umbrella adapter, as a stand? I do have a stand that came with my PhotoDiox 5in1 circular relfector, but my plan is to use the flash/umbrella on one side of subject and reflector on the other. Just trying to find a way not to spend any more money if I don't have to!

Those swivel thingos usually come with brass studs (spigots?) for the top and the bottom. The top one is usually the male one, the bottom one has the holes... one side the US standard 20mm? tripot hole. the other the european larger one. That should be able to screw directly onto the tripod in place of the head. Then the swivel thingo clamps to that.

I'll post some links...

http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0200/inde​x.shtml (external link)

Here is a detail of the female spigot:
http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0083/inde​x.shtml (external link)
The bigger hole should screw right on where the tripod head normally screws on. It should be pretty solid. Be sure to raise the center column.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2010 19:59 |  #3

It should work with an umbrella adapter.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 09, 2010 19:59 |  #4

I've put an umbrella adapter on the QR plate of mine to try it.

It worked, but was limiting because of the relatively low height and the legs kind of got in the way.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 09, 2010 20:10 |  #5

BTNorris wrote in post #9361326 (external link)
I've put an umbrella adapter on the QR plate of mine to try it.

It worked, but was limiting because of the relatively low height and the legs kind of got in the way.

Yeah that is to be expected. It might also get you laughed at. But it should work within limits.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 09, 2010 20:18 as a reply to  @ 111t's post |  #6

Awesome! I can deal with a few smirks until I can afford to get a "real" stand! :D Thanks all of you's guys!

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 10, 2010 06:58 as a reply to  @ Michelle Brooks Photography's post |  #7

What about this http://cgi.ebay.com …Name=ADME:B:WNA​FP:US:1123 (external link) since it has a riser to get the umbrella up a little?It for for using 2 flash units but wouldn't it work ok with one flash?

Gear List

VincentPeete
98 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2010 07:12 |  #8

That is an expensive light stand. You can get a nice light stand for about $30.

Facebook (external link) \ Peete-Productions (external link) \ Flickr (external link)
Nikon D80 | Nikon MB-D80 Battery Grip | Tamron 18-200mm | 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon SB-600 (3) |
Tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70 - 200mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm | Canon HV30 |  MacBook Pro

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 10, 2010 09:19 |  #9

VincentPeete wrote in post #9363683 (external link)
That is an expensive light stand. You can get a nice light stand for about $30.

But from what I've read, if I buy a light stand I still have to buy the adaptor for the umbrella/flash, so if I can just use my tripod for the stand all I have to get is the adaptor---am I missing something?

Gear List

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2010 09:38 |  #10

Michelle,
Using your tripod to hold an umbrella is going to be very limiting because of lack of heigth. If all you are holding is a small flash, you could use this tripod ( link at bottom ), and the swivel adapter that is listed as an accessory. If you are shooting people, you are going to want to get the light up a little higher than they are and angle the umbrella down. Your tripod solution could work if you kept them seated, but not if they are standing. You are probably going to have to have the tripod legs in among the subject to get the umbrella in an close as you want.

When you use a lightstand around folks, be sure you sandbag it or otherwise secure it down. You don't want it tipping over on someone.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …5_Light_Stand_B​lack_.html (external link)

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 10, 2010 09:41 |  #11

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #9363636 (external link)
What about this http://cgi.ebay.com …Name=ADME:B:WNA​FP:US:1123 (external link) since it has a riser to get the umbrella up a little?It for for using 2 flash units but wouldn't it work ok with one flash?

For the price of that unit you could buy a real light stand.

But I have used a tripod for a light stand. It just doesn't get the height of a real stand.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 10, 2010 10:29 |  #12

george m w wrote in post #9364257 (external link)
Michelle,
Using your tripod to hold an umbrella is going to be very limiting because of lack of heigth. If all you are holding is a small flash, you could use this tripod ( link at bottom ), and the swivel adapter that is listed as an accessory. If you are shooting people, you are going to want to get the light up a little higher than they are and angle the umbrella down. Your tripod solution could work if you kept them seated, but not if they are standing. You are probably going to have to have the tripod legs in among the subject to get the umbrella in an close as you want.

When you use a lightstand around folks, be sure you sandbag it or otherwise secure it down. You don't want it tipping over on someone.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …5_Light_Stand_B​lack_.html (external link)

Thanks, George! So, that Umbrella bracket will hold both my umbrella & flash? Is the 6' height max on the stand a good enough height (better than my tripod, I know, but if i'm going to get a whole new light stand I'd rather get one that will work with taller people too)?

Yes, I've read about the need for weighting down the stand. "Preciate the reminder.

Gear List

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 10, 2010 11:30 |  #13

So, that Umbrella bracket will hold both my umbrella & flash? Is the 6' height max on the stand a good enough height (better than my tripod, I know, but if i'm going to get a whole new light stand I'd rather get one that will work with taller people too)?

Hi Michelle,
Yes, that bracket will hold your flash and your umbrella. If you look at the photo of it, you'll see a little egg shaped hole. That is where your umbrella shaft goes thru.
The six foot heigth would likely work for most of what you would be doing, but obviously there is a reason that 10' and 13' are popular heigths too. One thing about all this is that you will be buying more stuff as time goes by if you expand what all you are shooting. So, the shorter stand will come in handy for one thing or another later on. For 20 bucks it's pretty hard to go very far wrong.
You approach is still sounding good. Start with your one umbrella and a reflector, and see what you can do, then go from there.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links

1,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto 055XPROB For Light stand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.