Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens resale values...

TSY87
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 09, 2010 20:55 |  #16

i feel you... but you know what, let dumb people buy lenses for 25 bucks less then retail... makes it a good deal to me when i sell my gear for upgrades, especially when i paid 200 less then the going rate for my L lenses..

D700 Gripped, Nikkor 20 2.8D, Sigma 50 1.4, Rokinon 85 1.4, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro VR, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR2, SB-900
Myflickr (external link)

sponsored links
Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 20:57 |  #17

TSY87 wrote in post #9361587 (external link)
i feel you... but you know what, let dumb people buy lenses for 25 bucks less then retail... makes it a good deal to me when i sell my gear for upgrades, especially when i paid 200 less then the going rate for my L lenses..

the only advantage to the current system is the market is good, people are keeping it good by buying used.

If you ever want to sell used lenses it's a good idea to not knock the system ;)

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

marivil
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 09, 2010 21:30 |  #18

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9361601 (external link)
the only advantage to the current system is the market is good, people are keeping it good by buying used.

If you ever want to sell used lenses it's a good idea to not knock the system ;)

Yes, I agree with this. I think all my lens were used purchases except kit lens. Some were bought online and some at a local retailer. I haven't had any bad luck. Sometimes the savings is quite substantial and other times not as much of a savings as buying BNIB.
I pretty much just look at it as an outlay of cash and when buying used I can usually get close to more if I choose to sell. People rent lens which I wouldn't do as I can buy it and try it out and sell it if it isn't what I need. Or if I only need it for a year or season.
With the prices going up the used market appeals to me even more.
I see Ebay auctions am amazed at how high of a price lens go for. The only logic I can from that is people don't research used lens prices. Pro photogs tend to unload bodies and lens for the latest and greatest. I guess it is a tax write off and or company expenditure. Some really good deals come from them.
With the bad economy you have people selling to pay the mortgage...etc. I am not big on taking advantage of a desperate seller. "JMO"

-Gene-
Always looking forward to my next shoot.
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?
2x & 1.4 Extender - 580 EX II

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2010 21:32 |  #19

linh811 wrote in post #9360624 (external link)
google 'bing cashback,' and you'll get all the information you need :). In today's digital age, it boggles the mind that people don't use bing (before it was called 'Live'), or ebates.....

bing deposits money into my paypal account within MINUTES. I guess Microsoft is trying to buy their way into the internet, trying to battle google.

I can buy almost ANY camera product, BNIB, from an authorized canon retailer for LESS than most people are trying to sell used for on this forum.

Going thru bing Ebay shows microsoft at 8% but Adorama for instance whom is a reputable vendor that also sells on E-Bay is only offering 3% off.

So how do you buy from a reputable dealer and get the current 8% ?

Wonder why Amazon never offers any Bing cashback ?

I guess im a little bias toward Amazon since they offer a no ask policy on returns for up to 30 days, free shipping, no-restocking fees, no charge for return shipping, & just a plain no-hassle experience.

But i would definitely jump on a 20% savings but have never lucked out and seen it that low.

Regards, :D

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

linh811
551 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 21:37 |  #20

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9361754 (external link)
Going thru bing Ebay shows microsoft at 8% but Adorama for instance whom is a reputable vendor that also sells on E-Bay is only offering 3% off.

I guess im a little bias toward Amazon since they offer a no ask policy on returns for up to 30 days, free shipping, no-restocking fees, no charge for return shipping, & just a plain no-hassle experience.

But i would definitely jump on a 20% savings but have never lucked out and seen it that low.

adorama and beachcamera both have an ebay presence. buy from them, but through ebay, for the greater bing cashback :). about once every 2-3 months bing will jump to 15+%, sign up for auto email notification and jump on it. In spring of 2009, bing went as high as 35%, I jumped on it and bought a ton of household items such as linens, towels, rugs etc....

7D || 5D2 || three 580exII's | 430exII | 24L II | 50L | 100L macro | 70-200/2.8L IS | 24-105L | canon 50/1.4 | canon 17-55/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 |Sigma 50/1.4 | Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC |Pocket Wizard Plus II. slingpro 100 and 200, and a million other accessories I can't even remember.

Jred
121 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 21:45 |  #21

linh811 wrote in post #9360584 (external link)
get yourself on one of those websites that automatically email you when bing gets above a certain percentage (mine is set at 15%). Email gets pushed to my Blackberry and I buy everything I'm 'watching.' I had an absolute FIELD DAY when bing was at 35%. About 4 weeks ago it was at 20%..... It's usually only that high for a day, sometimes only a few hours, you have to jump on it ASAP.

What web site do you use for automatic Bing email alerts?

Jred:wink:

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 21:58 as a reply to  @ Jred's post |  #22

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9361754 (external link)

Amazon has no questions asked? are you SURE? I thought the return thing was only if something was defective and THEN you didn't pay the return shipping??

I'm curious as renting is a lot of $$

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2010 22:08 |  #23

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9361893 (external link)
Amazon has no questions asked? are you SURE? I thought the return thing was only if something was defective and THEN you didn't pay the return shipping??

I'm curious as renting is a lot of $$

Positively sure ! You simply tell them the product doesnt meet your expectations if you dont like it. If their is a defect in the product you of course out of courtesy would note it on your return request but you do not have to accept an exchange if you dont desire. Just ask for a return credit up to 30 days.

I have purchased $5k + television sets from them and the same policy applys providing you make sure you purchase DIRECT from Amazon and not some 3rd party vendor that sell thru Amazon.

Abusing Amazons lenient return policy by implying you would be merely testing out lenses to circumvent rental charges is IMO dis-honest to say the least !

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 22:16 |  #24

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9361944 (external link)
Positively sure ! You simply tell them the product doesnt meet your expectations if you dont like it. If their is a defect in the product you of course out of courtesy would note it on your return request but you do not have to accept an exchange if you dont desire. Just ask for a return credit up to 30 days.

I have purchased $5k + television sets from them and the same policy applys providing you make sure you purchase DIRECT from Amazon and not some 3rd party vendor that sell thru Amazon.

Abusing Amazons lenient return policy by implying you would be merely testing out lenses to circumvent rental charges is IMO dis-honest to say the least !

You say one thing then another LOL

If you buy it and don't like you say it's OK to return it then say it's bad to do it, make up your mind.

So if you buy something and don't like it should you not return it but re-sell it?

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 09, 2010 22:32 |  #25

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9361992 (external link)
You say one thing then another LOL

If you buy it and don't like you say it's OK to return it then say it's bad to do it, make up your mind.

So if you buy something and don't like it should you not return it but re-sell it?

If the product you purchase from Amazon or Wal-Mart doesnt meet your expectations they will gladly accept the return and credit you in full.

A purchase with the intent to keep a product providing your satisfied or returning it due to unsatisfactory results is entirely different from
purchasing a lens to merely prevent rental charges as you implied in your above post.

Your Quote: [I'm curious as renting is a lot of $$]

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 22:45 |  #26

Silverfox1 wrote in post #9362075 (external link)
If the product you purchase from Amazon or Wal-Mart doesnt meet your expectations they will gladly accept the return and credit you in full.

A purchase with the intent to keep a product providing your satisfied or returning it due to unsatisfactory results is entirely different from
purchasing a lens to merely prevent rental charges as you implied in your above post.

Your Quote: [I'm curious as renting is a lot of $$]

maybe my comment wasn't in depth enough. renting to see if you like something is a lot of money but if your willing to KEEP the item if you like it then is it bad to return the one you don't like?

IDK most people do that in the USA, you buy a pair of shoes, try them on at home and if you don't fancy them you return them.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,233 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 09, 2010 22:47 |  #27

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9361601 (external link)

it's also not nice to call the people who buy your lenses "dumb" :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2010 22:49 |  #28

ed rader wrote in post #9362156 (external link)
it's also not nice to call the people who buy your lenses "dumb" :D.

ed rader

you not talking to me I hope :lol:

I sell used nappies all the time, now there is a strange 2nd market

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,257 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2010 00:42 |  #29

linh811 wrote in post #9360624 (external link)
google 'bing cashback,' and you'll get all the information you need :). In today's digital age, it boggles the mind that people don't use bing (before it was called 'Live'), or ebates.....

bing deposits money into my paypal account within MINUTES. I guess Microsoft is trying to buy their way into the internet, trying to battle google.

I can buy almost ANY camera product, BNIB, from an authorized canon retailer for LESS than most people are trying to sell used for on this forum.

Mine goes into my Bing account in minutes... but they hold it for 90 days before depositing it in my Paypal, to make sure the item is not returned, etc. What are you doing special to get the huge rebates instantly? Couldn't you then return the item and keep the rebate, then rebuy the lens with the money you made from Bing, using Bing again for another discount, making it an even better deal? :p

What website are you using to get Bing alerts?
(I'll ask it again for all of the other people who asked before me and didn't get a reply.)

GEAR LIST

linh811
551 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 10, 2010 01:42 |  #30

Josh_30 wrote in post #9362663 (external link)
Mine goes into my Bing account in minutes... but they hold it for 90 days before depositing it in my Paypal, to make sure the item is not returned, etc. What are you doing special to get the huge rebates instantly? Couldn't you then return the item and keep the rebate, then rebuy the lens with the money you made from Bing, using Bing again for another discount, making it an even better deal? :p

What website are you using to get Bing alerts?
(I'll ask it again for all of the other people who asked before me and didn't get a reply.)

I've signed up at several websites for bing alerts, just in case :) This is one of them

http://www.cashbackr.c​om/cashback (external link)

The scenario you're describing about buying and returning and buying and returning has been posted on many many forums, and various other ways to 'abuse' the bing cashback system. There were MANY MANY unscrupulous individuals who abused the bing cashback system in the exact way you described. Another technique was to create 2 ebay accounts. Account #A would 'sell' a high dollar item to account #B. Account #B would 'pay' account #A (which is really just paying yourself for an imaginary item), but account #B would receive the 35% bing backback instantly.... and one could repeat the process indefinitely.... there were reports all over the internet of people making thousands of dollars....

7D || 5D2 || three 580exII's | 430exII | 24L II | 50L | 100L macro | 70-200/2.8L IS | 24-105L | canon 50/1.4 | canon 17-55/2.8 | Sigma 35/1.4 |Sigma 50/1.4 | Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC |Pocket Wizard Plus II. slingpro 100 and 200, and a million other accessories I can't even remember.

sponsored links

3,591 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens resale values...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.