Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 14:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question - How do you identify mountain peaks in panoramic photo?

bahelmer
340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 27, 2009 14:41 |  #1

Hello,

I have a question - how do you identify the mountain peaks in a panoramic photo of a mountain range such as the Alps? To mountain experts, this question might sound silly. But I am just an amateur, so please forgive me for asking this question.

I have seen some web sights (such as http://www.alpen-panoramen.de/ (external link)) which show fantastic panoramic views of the Alps, from different locations, with labels of the mountain peaks submitted by users.

I have a few panoramic photos of my own, and I can identify a few of more famous peaks. But I have doubts about some of the other peaks, and so I am looking for advice. Are there methods or tricks with http://www.google.com/ (external link) or other websites, to help me identify the others?

I thought that it might be an easy task. I know the camera was located at point A, using a lens with a certain horizontal angle of view based on focal length and sensor size. The peaks which I have already identified should help me define the "piece of the pie" captured in the photo. Tracing this "pie piece" on a printed map should give me an idea of what might be visible. But the issues related to peak heights and relative distance are more difficult. Tall peaks located far away might be blocked from view by shorter peaks closer to the camera. And it is very difficult to judge the relative distances in the photo itself. And then there is the curvature of the earth, which means my "flat earth" calculations are approximatations!

Any advice?

- B
40D and a few lenses.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 09, 2010 22:58 |  #2

If I were you; I'd download google earth.
You can find a spot in the Alps and then rotate the orientation of the map until you're looking in the direction of the shot.. then tilt the view to give you approx perspective.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,905 views & 1 like for this thread
Question - How do you identify mountain peaks in panoramic photo?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.