Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Dec 2009 (Monday) 20:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you're happy with your Canon 7D images and 100% crops...

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2010 13:22 |  #181

Pearlallica wrote in post #9357830 (external link)
Wow, back in the day when I was shooting my 3.31 megapixwl Nikon compact (which ran for about a thousand bucks) I would have PAINFULLY LUSTED for this kind of image quality. We are living in good times, and we should count our blessings.

(it sickens me when these caliber of cameras are announced and you come across disatisfied consumers and their venting, such as "F.U. Canon!"... spoiled rotten punks)

PS - remember to correct white balance when using these test charts! And... thanks for sharing!

Yes, this would difinitely benefit from WB adjustment, but I deliberately did not do any processing on this image, just cropped and saved as jpeg.
It was just a quick shot to test my new cheap zoom. I will probably use manual white balance next time I shoot this chart, I think camera was on AWB setting for this shot.
Thanks again ;)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
quattroatl
382 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2010 08:54 as a reply to  @ gabebalazs's post |  #182

ISO 1600, f/4, 1/60 s; slight unsharp mask in cs4 & default run through neat image NR

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i25.photobucket​.com …/IMG_2616_a_ps_​resize.jpg (external link)

100% crop

http://i25.photobucket​.com …6_a_ps_100crop_​resize.jpg (external link)

5DII | 7D | 40D | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4L IS |100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II

1rushfan
598 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 10, 2010 09:08 as a reply to  @ post 9248368 |  #183

I guess from an IQ standpoint, I'm trying to determine why I need to replace my 30D. I feel like I can get the same IQ from my 30D as the 7D (without the higher ISO settings on the 7D). The only images I've seen that really make me want to replace it are from full frame bodies...i.e., 5D or 1D. Could someone tell me why else I should upgrade to the 7D (and please don't say MP's).

I have some gear
Always want more
My website (external link)
"Bringing light to a lifeless screen..." - Rush, Mission

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 10, 2010 09:11 |  #184

1rushfan wrote in post #9364102 (external link)
I guess from an IQ standpoint, I'm trying to determine why I need to replace my 30D. I feel like I can get the same IQ from my 30D as the 7D (without the higher ISO settings on the 7D). The only images I've seen that really make me want to replace it are from full frame bodies...i.e., 5D or 1D. Could someone tell me why else I should upgrade to the 7D (and please don't say MP's).

If you're happy with what you've got and it adequately serves your photographic needs, there probably is no good reason to upgrade. You would have to specify specific areas where you feel you need improvement over your 30D (e.g., need faster continuous shooting or better autofocus) before we can provide you with relevant recommendations.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

1rushfan
598 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jan 10, 2010 09:17 |  #185

stsva wrote in post #9364113 (external link)
If you're happy with what you've got and it adequately serves your photographic needs, there probably is no good reason to upgrade. You would have to specify specific areas where you feel you need improvement over your 30D (e.g., need faster continuous shooting or better autofocus) before we can provide you with relevant recommendations.

This is probably the most reasonable response I've ever seen on these forums when it comes to gear. You are right about faster continuous shooting and better autofocus. I guess a few more FPS on a burst or a few more AF points would be nice. I suppose I view the 7D as the "latest" 30D (although there have been the 40D and 50D in between). Still trying to understand the need for HD video on an SLR.

I have some gear
Always want more
My website (external link)
"Bringing light to a lifeless screen..." - Rush, Mission

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 10, 2010 09:17 |  #186

7D shoots video, I know some people who have found it quite handy and they thought they would never use it.

I am looking at upgrading from a 40D and the main pros for me are the autofocus and better high iso performance.

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 10, 2010 09:20 |  #187

1rushfan wrote in post #9364146 (external link)
This is probably the most reasonable response I've ever seen on these forums when it comes to gear. You are right about faster continuous shooting and better autofocus. I guess a few more FPS on a burst or a few more AF points would be nice. I suppose I view the 7D as the "latest" 30D (although there have been the 40D and 50D in between). Still trying to understand the need for HD video on an SLR.

I definitely didn't buy mine because of the video feature, although I might use it occasionally. Of course, my upgrade was from a 350D/XT, so I probably had more reason to upgrade than an XXD user. :D

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 11, 2010 03:20 |  #188

Been out in the snow and able to shoot at 100 ISO for a change, heres a 100% of a shot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2010 22:25 |  #189

No one has posted here for a week, so here is a qick-and-dirty real world shot of my cat. Awful composition though :) Who cares this is about 100% crops anyway :)

Canon 17-55 IS, ISO 800

IMAGE: http://gabebalazsphoto.com/misc_photos/Fluffy_new.jpg

100% crop
IMAGE: http://gabebalazsphoto.com/misc_photos/Fluffy_newcrop.jpg

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 19, 2010 23:44 |  #190

artyman wrote in post #9369697 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

I used to live in Porchester (back in the '60s) .. and as a kid I grew up playing in the castle. Spent some years in Fareham as well.

My Gear List  :p

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 20, 2010 04:28 |  #191

You would find West Street a bit different now! but Castle Street hasn't really changed.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 20, 2010 09:41 |  #192

artyman wrote in post #9431751 (external link)
You would find West Street a bit different now! but Castle Street hasn't really changed.

Yep .. went back just before I left for Canada back in '94. Signs everywhere stopping you climbing the castle walls.
Without showing my age .. I can remember the winter of '63 when the sea water down by the castle froze almost the all the way across to the little island, and we had snow drifts up to the upstairs window sills. As a kid I used to bike over to the railway station up towards the old fort. A bunch of use would play chicken and stand on the bridge over the tracks while the steam trains went past .. happy days :D

My Gear List  :p

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 20, 2010 11:51 |  #193

1rushfan wrote in post #9364102 (external link)

Ability to adjust focus on lenses
Faster/better AF
Better high ISO

I don't think you can downplay MP's - as long as not coming at the expense of high ISO quality why wouldn't more resolution be a good thing? It's like a free perfect teleconverter for your 30D. Can always shoot at lower resolutions as well.

I don't get the quality of sharpness from my 30D that I am seeing in these crops - I would attribute to resolution primarily.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 21, 2010 14:41 as a reply to  @ lungdoc's post |  #194

so far yes:

http://i455.photobucke​t.com/albums/qq274/a10​ace/sfb.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,401 posts
Gallery: 582 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2010 00:43 as a reply to  @ freshcargo's post |  #195

http://img.photobucket​.com …/Photography/IM​G_1520.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …Photography/7D2​00Crop.jpg (external link)

Since this thread was dead for a few weeks.. :)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links

174,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you're happy with your Canon 7D images and 100% crops...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.