Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 01:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

grip for canon 5d mark II bg-e6

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2009 11:45 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

drdiesel1 wrote in post #9200964 (external link)
That`s not the same as the BG-E6 ;) It`s an older BG-2N for another body.
I`m sure it wasn't related to product quality. I would venture to say it could have been user related. Stuff Happens everyday, but that doesn't mean the product was inferior, but the aftermarket stuff can be IMO.

Actually it was a known issue with MOST canon grips..the plastic cog would strip and your grip would get stuck on. Happened on my XSi as well. But hey, you feel better paying for a name, so who am I to question that. It works for you and that is what matters :)

JelleVerherstraeten wrote in post #9202430 (external link)
I think the grip for the 5D is very cheap. The one on the 1D's costs 2000$ ;-)a

Well played ;) I find it a bit odd..OP bought a 5d2 but thinks that the $250 grip is expensive?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links
s_banharn
25 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2009 12:07 |  #17

It makes the camera handsome. :)
Balance and batteries are the most significant reasons to have the grip.

Bee
50D with grip, XSi, 17-40 f4L, 24-105mm f4L IS, 28-135mm IS, 70-200mm f2.8L, 580EX II, and 220EX flash

lennythelens
104 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2009 16:56 |  #18

I was sceptical at first.
I had a 5D and a canon grip and upgraded to a 5D MkII. As the 5D grip was not compatible I resented having to shell out another £200 GBPs for what basically a big battery chamber and an additional shutter button (and more that 10% on the cost of the camera!) I bought a 3rd party one for £60 GBP and I am delighted. The quality is excellent . At least the one I received was – I don't know how many different 3rd party ones are out there or how consistent the quality is, that's where you have to take the gamble.

I think the price of the Canon is a con. Just my 2 pennith. (my two cents worth)

Regards,
Lennythelens
http://www.lennythelen​s.com (external link)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2009 17:47 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

lennythelens wrote in post #9204434 (external link)
I was sceptical at first.
I had a 5D and a canon grip and upgraded to a 5D MkII. As the 5D grip was not compatible I resented having to shell out another £200 GBPs for what basically a big battery chamber and an additional shutter button (and more that 10% on the cost of the camera!) I bought a 3rd party one for £60 GBP and I am delighted. The quality is excellent . At least the one I received was – I don't know how many different 3rd party ones are out there or how consistent the quality is, that's where you have to take the gamble.

I think the price of the Canon is a con. Just my 2 pennith. (my two cents worth)

Len, did you get the Vivitar grip?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Bucster
439 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 15, 2009 18:08 as a reply to  @ MichaelBernard's post |  #20

I had the Phottix grip for my 40D and the Canon grip for my 30D. Aside from some minor differences, I couldn't tell a difference in quality, I did a review here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=646582

As for the 5DII, I bought another Phottix and like it just as much as the other two grips. I do a lot of portrait work and really like it for the vertical shutter button. When I take it on vacation, I remove the grip for storage and weight considerations.

Richard
Gear List
TPDphoto.com (external link)
MyPhotoStudio.org (external link)

crossmax03
275 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 26, 2009 17:43 |  #21

Let me ask a stupid question here...
I bought the BG-E6 and sorta thought it would come with 2 batteries for that price.

Did anyone happen to get batteries in theirs ?? haha

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 26, 2009 17:45 |  #22

crossmax03 wrote in post #9267061 (external link)
Let me ask a stupid question here...
I bought the BG-E6 and sorta thought it would come with 2 batteries for that price.

Did anyone happen to get batteries in theirs ?? haha

Batteries are not included. ;)

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

lennythelens
104 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 10, 2010 13:10 |  #23

AudibleSilence wrote in post #9204726 (external link)
Len, did you get the Vivitar grip?

It's not branded at all. I got it from

LinkDelight Photography Shop off e-bay.

Regards,
Lennythelens
http://www.lennythelen​s.com (external link)

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 10, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ lennythelens's post |  #24
bannedPermanently

I went with the canon grip basically because I have a canon camera. grip adds a nice feel, and the extra battery power is great. I usually use vert, so that's another reason why I grabbed mine. When it comes to which one to get I suppose it's personal pref. Hm, when it comes to the grip in general I guess it's personal pref ha. I've always had em on mine. Xti, 40D, 5Dm2 etc..I love emm

cuongduong
197 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2010 19:23 |  #25

Eiro wrote in post #9200427 (external link)
I have the grip, and honestly to tell you the truth, I havent used it. Personally It annoys me sometimes. Others find it useful. But the less money you can spend the better. Unless you are getting paid for your work,keep it simple and less costly.

My sentiment exactly. The build quality of the Canon BG-E6 grip is very nice though. Magnesium body instead of plastic like other third party grips. Also, other third party grips do not have the rubberized side on the back, where the battery cover is located.

sponsored links

4,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
grip for canon 5d mark II bg-e6
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.