Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need tips for 1 yr old daughter

dengar
987 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 22, 2009 15:19 |  #1

My daughter turned 1 over the weekend. Rather than take the standard pictures at a studio (my son's was at Picture People) I would like to take her to some kind of garden or flower place and take some there wearing a nice dress. She's almost walking but not quite. Just looking for some tips or advice here. Should I try to pose her or let her have free reign and try to shoot around her. My gear is listed below. I might rent a lens like a 135L but Im not sure yet. I noticed now with my 5D FF I have to get much closer to her to get a good closeup. When I do this she sees me and gets distracted and tries to come up to me. Sorry for rambling. Thanks. :)

sponsored links
suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2009 21:39 |  #2

If she is ALMOST walking but not quite, don't wait!!! This is the perfect time to take pics cuz once she starts walking, she won't stop until the novelty wears off. This is a good time to use a prop, a nice chair, dad's leg, mom's finger --- something she can hold on to for balance and is hesitant to let go of for the 1/250th of a second that you need. You might even catch first steps!!!! have fun.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

dengar
THREAD ­ STARTER
987 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 23, 2009 12:12 |  #3

That is a very good point. Thank you. :D

stephbakes
27 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 28, 2009 11:37 |  #4

I have some super cute photos of a 9 month old girl in a red wagon in a field and in a gorgeous yellow wingback chair in the same field. Try something like that- it was a total hit with the family!

Also, get a shot with daddy holding her hands while she is walking in front of him, so whimsical and cute! You'll love it. I LOVE shots of the baby and parents interacting.

Check out my website to see the images.

www.stephanienbaker.co​m (external link)

www.stephanienbaker.co​m (external link)

Sam
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 28, 2009 14:37 as a reply to  @ stephbakes's post |  #5

Bring her to the spot you want to take pictures at, put your 85 on and sit back and wait. As long as you have someone to play with her and make her giggle you'll get lots of fun candid type shots.

When I do something like that I try to keep my "assistant" under my lens in front of me or just over my head behind me. Sometimes a quick noise from me in the middle of a giggle gets some eye contact.

gyounis
60 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 10, 2010 22:56 |  #6

At least with my kids, they'll never pose for you - just capture them doing what they do best, being a kid.

6D

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 13, 2010 21:07 as a reply to  @ gyounis's post |  #7

No. 1 rule is not to force it. If they don't want to cooperate, don't make them. It won't go well for you. Here's a shot of our daughter. She was 14 months at the time. We let her walk around the chair. My wife said something to get her to smile and I snapped the pic. Remember, you work on their timing, not the other way around. The chair in the picture was great for balance. We hit Ikea and they had a bunch of smaller chairs on sale. We picked up several in various colors. They were like $14.

Pic of our daughter.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

lifesmomentsphotography
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 20, 2010 10:08 |  #8

something fun (but messy) is having her sit on a plain black drop...dress her in a cute tutu/1/2 socks and give her a small cake...put in front of her between her legs and capture all the moments, later in editing you can take out some of the icing that might make it look like a big mess, but oh what a memory...

sponsored links

1,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need tips for 1 yr old daughter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.