Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2010 (Monday) 07:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Event shooters - how do you use a flash when bouncing is not an option?

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 11, 2010 07:34 |  #1

I ask because yesterday I shot an event where bouncing was nearly impossible. The ceiling was dark AND there were these large, dark "partitions" hanging down about 3-4 ft from the high ceiling, effectively creating pockets for the light to be trapped in. Walls were brick or painted dark too. Natural lighting was all over the place - from the daylight spilling in floor to ceiling windows at one end, to dark red "club" lighting only 30ft away on the other side of the room.

Having said all of that, I did bouce my flash behind me (although what the light was reflecting off of, I'll never know) and got ok pics. Most needed to be pushed in post and the WB was way off, but I shot RAW so no worries.

So, what do you do when bouncing is not a viable option?

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

sponsored links
40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 11, 2010 07:37 |  #2

A small white card with one red line and a bunch of light blue lines on it. The card is approximately 3 inches wide and 5 inches tall.

Or I pull out the catch-light panel a little bit.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2010 08:37 |  #3

Situations like that, I try to get one or more QFlash or ABs into a corner aimed at the ceiling or even into the room and then use the on-camera flash for fill with a Demp Flip-it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 11, 2010 08:52 |  #4

Anyone using camera-mount mini-softboxes, like this one from Photoflex?....

http://www.photoflexli​ghtingschool.com …aits_on_the_Go/​index.html (external link)

Gear List

Michael

constrict
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 11, 2010 10:09 |  #5

versedmb wrote in post #9370652 (external link)
Anyone using camera-mount mini-softboxes, like this one from Photoflex?....

http://www.photoflexli​ghtingschool.com …aits_on_the_Go/​index.html (external link)

The difference between the shot with and without the softbox doesn't even seem worth the hassle/weight/cost of that setup.

5D | 5DIII | 1DIV| 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 24 f1.4L II | 35 f1.4L | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.2 II
http://www.tomcouture.​com (external link)| http://facebook.com/co​uturephotos (external link)
| http://instagram.com/t​omcouture (external link)

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 11, 2010 10:15 |  #6

constrict wrote in post #9371013 (external link)
The difference between the shot with and without the softbox doesn't even seem worth the hassle/weight/cost of that setup.

That's kind of what I thought, just curious as to users experiences with this. ;)

Gear List

Michael

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,936 posts
Gallery: 514 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 11, 2010 11:00 |  #7

Check out some of LumiQuest products: http://www.lumiquest.c​om/products.htm (external link),

or DIY: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=485903.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

SnapsbyPoteat
983 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 11, 2010 11:00 |  #8

I've never used one -but it's on my wish list, a gary fong light sphere would probably help in these situations. http://store.garyfongi​nc.com/lsc-01.html (external link)

Gear list: Canon 5D Mk II, 7D tokina 11-16/2.8, Sigma 30 1.4 , Canon 50 1.2 L, 85 1.8,100 2.8 L macro, 580ex,
www.snapsbypoteat.com (external link) . Facebook Page (external link)The Blog (external link)
The wedding page www.melaniepoteat.com (external link)

johneric8
Goldmember
1,153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 25, 2010 23:53 |  #9

White card is best option I believe because it's easy. The fong dong works but it too clumsy and the results arent even as good. The softbox on camera is worthless in a dark enviroment. Now get the softbox off camera and it's fine.. As a rule direct flash on camera even with a softbox in a dark enviroment is not much different than bare bulb flash. HIGH ISO is your friend.

Too much Gear to list! :lol:

jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2010 01:54 |  #10

How does one use the white card, just point the flash straight up still?

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 26, 2010 04:24 |  #11

jdang307 wrote in post #10066053 (external link)
How does one use the white card, just point the flash straight up still?

Yes. I have a medium and the huge 'a better bounce card' and the big one is awesome for outside or for like a gym or church with high ceilings. I've also made several diy bounce cards, and done the same.

I point the flash straight up, and use the big card to throw some light at the subject...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

Dream ­ Merchant
425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 26, 2010 05:32 as a reply to  @ snakeman55's post |  #12

In such situations, I just go direct or direct diffused with the Lumniquest Big Bounce.

Editing welcome :D

spesmeadeus
987 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 26, 2010 05:41 |  #13

I use OCF have an assistant holding a stand with a flash and an umbrella, or i hold it in my hand a foot or two to one side with a white card.

How does focal length affect portraits? (external link)
| Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) |

Edbee
135 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 26, 2010 05:50 |  #14

I've used OCF with a stand and a DIY diffuser on the flash.

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 26, 2010 07:10 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I'v got one of these umbrellas coming in the post any day now...
http://strobella.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

23,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
Event shooters - how do you use a flash when bouncing is not an option?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.