Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which eye you use to look through the viewfinder?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,285 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 19, 2009 10:06 |  #31

Interestingly, another thread indicates about 70% rotate camera CCW into Portrait position. If you do that, right eye aiming makes more sense, as then the left eye can see around the camera to prevent you from being blindly run over by an athlete while you cover sports from the sideline!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 19, 2009 10:11 |  #32

Tonytsang,

First off, it's clearly not a stupid question considering how oftern it gets asked. 21 threads that I know of, and still counting. This topic has GOT to be a close second to the Smiths having thier baby.

At this point I am wondering, why is this a topic of such curiosity? It never would have occurred to me to ask. I just used whichever eye feels right and would assume others did the same.

But the question keeps returning and returning. I thought I might as well collect them. So Tonytsang, for about a billion opinions on the topic, just cruise through the threads below. (By the way - any one of these threads could have been found with the Search function.) And next time someone posts this same question, they will bump you off the top of the list! It won't be long.

Which eye you use to look through the viewfinder? by Tonytsang

Left eye or Right eye? by sporadic

Right eye or left eye? ? ? ? by dicklaxt

Which eye do you use? by Depth

Are you Left-Eyed, or Right-Eyed? by MDJAK

What eye do you use to look through your viewfinder? by dynastysmartparts

Which 'eye' do you use for shooting ? Do you keep the other eye open ? by Khaled

Does anybody else use their left eye for the viewfinder? by Blinded

Which eye do you use to look through the view finder? by ValMcC

Do you shoot with your left or right eye ? (Canon rear dial wheel and your nose...) by linuxguy

Which eye do you shoot with? ? ? ? by Acorean

Do you shoot with your left or right eye? by Maderito

strange question - what eye do you shoot with? by Verty

Which eye do you use when composing a shot in the viewfinder? by Benhasajeep

Left or Right (Eye) by Drisley

Should I sue my left eye or my right eye in the view finder? by aacmcay (I think he meant USE not SUE!)

Left eye or right eye in the viewfinder everyone? ? ? by Surfologist

Which eye do you use? by Runninmann

Which eye? by Mihkeltt

Which Eye Do You Use? by BottomBracket

which eye on the viewfinder (right-handed vs. left-handed) by Baybomo

Rad

For the record: Right handed, shoot with my Left eye. Noseprints on the LCD.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 19, 2009 10:25 |  #33

I used to shoot with my right eye on the viewfinder, but found that I was more stable (albiet not THAT much) if I look through the viewfinder with my left eye, because my nose and face is pressed to the camera adding more stability.

Anyone else agree?

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

radicallysaved
341 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2009 21:36 |  #34

people have mentioned that some viewfinders were left- or right-side biased. how can you tell?

i'm right handed but i use my left eye.

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." Lewis Wickes Hine

tonytsang
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 12, 2010 20:54 |  #35

After couples months of training... I switched my eye from right to left.

If i keep using my right eye then i always have to keep my left eye close. But if i use the left eye, right eyes doesn't need to close as it will be blocked by the camera body anyway....

So, you can train yourself if you want. Personally, i find that using left eye is more comfortable.

Canon 450D (XSI)
Tamron 17-50 F2.8/Canon 55-200mm F4-5.6 IS
50mm F1.4 USM
Flash 430EX II
18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS (as backup)

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 12, 2010 21:56 |  #36

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #8448905 (external link)
Here's how you find your dominant eye (but there's no rule that you have to use it).

1. Hold your hands together, flat--palms out at arm's length. Your fingertips should point up. You're basically making a wall and can see the back of your hands, like a woman checking her newly done nails.
2. Keep your fingers together and spread your palms so that you have a triangle. Link your thumbs.
3. Pick a target in that little triangle and look at it.
4. Now, close each eye. One will still be able to see it. The other won't. The eye that can see it is your dominant eye.
5. Decide if you really want to use that eye for photography or throw it away. ;)

I'm left-eyed.

Huh, cool trick!

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 14, 2010 13:16 |  #37

dood... i had no idea that many people use their left eye! lol i seriously thought everyone just used their right eye for a normal (right handed) camera!

Flickr (external link)

drRex
170 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 14, 2010 05:13 as a reply to  @ banpreso's post |  #38

Doesn't it make sense to use your left eye because you are accessing the creative parts of the brain (the right side of the brain)? I would assume photography is a creative function.

I use my left eye, but partly because for some reason I can't close my left eye without closing my right eye at the same time. I can, however, close my right eye by itself while leaving the left eye open...what's wrong with me? :confused:

Ds
flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 14, 2010 05:26 as a reply to  @ drRex's post |  #39

Left eye. I still cannot get my nose to turn the quick control dial though.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which eye you use to look through the viewfinder?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.